- advertisement -

Pump users... How many vials of Insulin

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by yelley, Jul 14, 2010.

1. yelley

yelley Approved members

I know that this is a YDMV, but we will be getting our prescription today for her insulin supply now that she is on the pump.

My question is, what is the units per day (or however it is written) that is on your script?

I know that depending on how the script is written, that will determine how many vials are covered for a 30 day supply (or 90 if by mail).

I am also considering doing the mail order, for those of you that have used it, what is your feeling versus regular Pharmacy?

2. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

I get 2 vials to cover 30 days. Each vial has 10 ml 100 units/ml.

Right now, I'm just putting in 100 units for each site change. That may have to increase as her basal and carb ratios change.

3. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Our CDE just wrote it for a number of vials per month (4 in our case).

4. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

we get 1 box of 5 cartridges per month...because you open less so les goes bad in 28 days and you get more for paying the same ;) ...we load 100u for each site

5. Lawana

Lawana Approved members

Dd's script is written for "max 100u per day" which comes out to 3 vials per month. We do 90 days at a time via mail order. Our insurance requires us to use mail order for long term drugs. Most of the time it's been just fine─they ship in a cooler with 5-6 cold packs. We have had to have one order replaced due to arriving warm, but they didn't give us a hard time about it.

6. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We don't use mail order for insulin but our prescription is written the same way.

7. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Ditto.. in fact Walgreens here won't fill it without an amount per day.. they'll try to give you ONE vial... it's very frustrating.

8. yelley

yelley Approved members

Thanks everyone...

That is what I was looking for. I know that depending on how the script is written, that will determine what and how many the insurance will cover.

I know on the test strips it was a pain in the beginning, but she re-wrote the script to say test 10-12 (vs. 4-6) so that will help.

9. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I buy penfills for the pump, each holds 300 units, my cartridge holds just over 315, so I only ever have 1 extra open in my D bag/frios, I keep a cartridge and the extra penfill with me

10. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

Yup - we use pens too. When we switched to Apidra the endo was going to write the script for the vial - I told him I wanted the pen cartridges which they don't have - they are the whole pen. So I just draw it out of the pens. We use around 3 pens in a month, so it works out for us much better.