- advertisement -

Pump training

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Momontherun, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

We did an insulin pump trial with saline and it went fine. Once you are approved and get your pump and ready to start pumping how many times and for how long do you meet with the CDE. For how long do you do every 3 hour blood glucose checks as you transition from shots to pumping. Any other transitions tips?

I have read parts of walsh's book I need to get that out.

We were approved for the cgm too, should we just get that going too or will we drive ourselves crazy with all the new technology. The endo thought we should wait to Cgm but I think it would be great to have to adjust basals. We are not tech savvy but willing to jump in and give it 100%.

We decided to go with the minimed. Any tips appreciated and thanks.

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

My CDE said it usually takes 2-3 appointments total to train on the pump. We did it in 2. Your CDE might be different. They asked us to do night checks for at least two weeks I think. It's hard to remember. Of course if you do night checks already it won't matter. :)

I would wait for CGM until you've been pumping at least a month or two. Pump start can be tricky for some people and you don't want to go too fast too soon. That's my two cents.

Good luck! We have the minimed and we love it.

3. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

We did all our training with the medtronics rep in our area. She was awesome and got our sons basal rates right on from the beginning based on the couple weeks prions blood sugar logs. We found he needs more basal overnight vs daytime hours. We called into our CDE team weekly

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Personally, I wouldn't do a pump/cgm start back to back for the emotional well being of the kid. It's not nothing to ask them to be attached to a pump and have the bump of a cgm- to always be cognizant of the devices in the shower, to be willing to explain to their classmates what "that" is... I'm all in favor of the technology, but I think it extracts a price, and to do both at once I think is emotionally taxing.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Personally, I would wait. It's a lot to take in learning all the buttons to push etc. But also, for the well being of the child. It can be stressful those first few times having a set change and to have someone coming at you with two different ones, that could make or break the whole experience.

I think, especially since you said you aren't incredibly tech savvy, to take it one step at a time. Get the pump under your belt, let everyone get comfortable with it, then when you are ready, move on to the CGM. The CGM is relatively easy, it's the insertion of the sensors that's tricky. The pump is a bit of a learning curve since you are making lots of changes in the beginning.

6. Momontherun

Thanks for the feedback. I will wait till he out of school to cgm.

We have only 30 days for the free trial so I was hoping to try the cgm sooner. I don't want to overwhelm the kid with to much stuff.

The Mio site worked fine pain free before. any other pointer?

I am going to apply Elma before we try the cgm and will use his. Rear so he doesn't see the needle.

7. Momontherun

We have been keeping logs for months. He is taking a low amount of insulin 5 of lantus in am and 1 unit to 40 carb ratios (around 9 units of insulin a day). He weighs 40 kg. He is having uncovered 15 carb snack 3 times daily. His 1 unit of insulin to drops his sugar 100 points. His am blood sugar is 130 no matter how the night goes. Pre meal 100's. some post meal spikes and I am hoping the pump will help with that. He wants a pump so he has more flexibility with meals and he has an erratic schedule. He also doesn't like all the step to inject I front of other kids.

I know his diabetes will vary and any day his insulin needs could increase .

Any other caveats appreciated.

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We started pumping and CGMing together and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. My daughter was ready for the pump, and I was ready for CGM. We needed both, and fortunately our endo, CDE, and pump rep backed our desire 100%. Policy has now been changed to an individual decision rather than a blanket policy for all families.

9. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Every place does things very differently. Our pump training consisted of a 2-hour session done in our house while our Medtronic trainer (who was also a CDE at our clinic at the time) set us up live. No classes, no saline start. We had to test 2 hours after meals and every 3 hours at night for about 2 weeks.

At the time, we were discouraged from starting both at the same time, but the clinic seems to be more pro-CGM now. I think starting both together vs. waiting is a personal decision. I don't know that waiting a couple of weeks will really make a difference, though. If you don't want to give it a couple of months, you really might as well start both at the same time.

Good luck!

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My daughter says that the Dexcom sensor insertion is less painful than the pump site insertion. She doesn't even flinch with the Dex. If you go on the Dexcom site, you can see what it looks like. You don't even see the needle which helps a lot.