- advertisement -

Pump Training Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by blbrocky, Oct 31, 2007.

1. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

I have a question regarding fasting.....

We were told to read up on fasting but the pump training online didn't mention anything about fasting and I didn't think to ask if my son should fast for tomorrow. I haven't found anything about fasting in my reading yet. Just wondering if my son can eat in the morning or not? We were told to wean him off of his Lantus for at least 12 hours.:confused:

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I don't think there is any need to fast. You need to treat with Novalog to replace the Lantus during the time its gone - just to treat any highs - and then eat and dose your meal like normal. We had our start in the morning - she had breakfast and a syringe bolus and then by lunch, she had her bolus through her pump

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The fasting comes in a couple of weeks to get the basals set, not when you first get the pump.

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We didn't end up having to fast to get the basals set, but our nurse did say that if we are having trouble, to go through the fasting step to get the basals set. We know of some problem times so when they also showed up on the pump, we were able to adjust them without having to fast, thankfully.

5. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Sorry I'm late reading this! How was your pump training day?

I hope you've been told about fasting already?! If not I can give you a few of the basics. Everyone does it a little bit different than the other person. The general idea of fasting is to see what your body is doing without any food or any major activity. Just kind of a laid back day. After a meal, generally it takes 4 hours for your body to be rid of the fluctuation in blood sugars, but not after say pizza or a high in fat meal. Make sure you give a meal that you can count the carbs properly. You start the test sometimes 3 or 4 hours (depends on when the food is done affecting the sugars) when they are "in range" and you continue to test blood sugars every hour. If you go low, if you go high and need a correction, if you eat, the test is over. You keep testing every hour as long as you can. I know there isn't very many carb free foods out there. Like for example a cheese stick, the child could have one. But for example my daughter eats two cheese sticks and it affects her blood sugar (high in fat). Some people do eggs and bacon, but again bacon rises my daughters blood sugar (again the fat). Everyone differs a little bit. But remember, you go low, you go high, you eat the test is over!!!

Good luck!!!

6. blbrocky

Thank you for all the responses.

Pump training ended up being a one on one which was really nice. I guess I expected to be in a class environment. All in all it went really well. A lot of information in a very short time. My husband and I left a nervous wreck.

The fasting was explained in detail with bedtime fasting and daytime fasting information required to get the basal levels adjusted properly. Right now his basal is 75% of the daily Lantus he was taking. We are not to correct any high BG unless over 300 in between meals, but can do corrections at meal time. No snacking except for the free items and try to stay away from fatty foods (no pizza).

We are checking before meals and 2 hours after, 12am and 3am for two weeks.

My son input all of the information into the pump, the insulin, primed the pump, and inserted the silhouette. We were very proud of him. I just hope he likes pumping as it took some doing to get the pump as early as we did.

Pumping MM722:)

7. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Wonderful news Becky- I'm happy to hear it!!!
    I'm going to be honest with you- it gets a little harder before it gets better- USUALLY on the pump. It can take about 4 weeks of adjusting to get those basals right. No need to be nervous- it's going to be better because Miles is going to love it. You'll see him happy and your going to be happy. The checking in the middle of the night can be a pain, but it's really needed.
    I always wonder why they give the kids the Chinese torture devices- Silhouettes- for kids to start the pump on. We started out with those too. We lasted about 2 months on them before we switched infusion sets. I'm going to give you a little warning of things to watch out for with the pump. I'm sure you've went over some of this in training- I don't want to get you on information over load!!
    http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=8416

I also wanted to include a photo of what a kinked site looks like. If this happens under the skin (obviously you can't see it until you take it out) this will cause a disruption of blood sugars. If and when the time comes that you can't figure out if high blood sugars are from kinked sites, basals or carb ratios l would consider changing infusion sets. We use the Sure T's and a lot of others use the Quick sets. I just want to make sure you have all the info.
    [​IMG]
    Free image hosting by http://www.holdthatpic.com/

8. blbrocky

Thank you for the picture. We did talk about kinks but always nice to see one. Was that caused during the insertion or from someother reason?

Miles chose the silhouette after looking at some of the other insertion products during our initial pump informational class. We can always change if he feels like trying something else. He did say it was hard to insert and thought that it might have something to do with the IV prep pad used prior to the insertion.

So much to learn.

He did go to school today (didn't want to) but was tired from all of the interupted sleep. I'm hoping for better numbers in the a.m. eventually. This is when he has Chemistry. What a class to have first thing in the morning with a high BG.

What these kids have to go through just breaks my heart.

9. Abby-Dabby-Doo

I wish I knew what caused the kinks. They can be such a pain. From the 2 months we used them I think some were from insertion, some were from activity, and some I think were just from a day of beautiful numbers and the site was just out to get us. You never know until they come out!

You didn't mention anything from the link I attached in my last post. If you didn't click on it I want to encourage you to do so. I'm sure your going to get bubbles in the tubing, so I wanted to make sure you read that.

That stickiness from the IV prep pad can interfer with the insertion. I would make sure and tell Miles that it isn't bad if you help him in the beginning. Parents should really know how to do it also. I think in the long run it takes a little pressure off the kids from having to do this stuff all the time. My daughter is only 6, so it's a little different of course. But you'll hear parents on this forum say it all the time. Just take a little pressure off them by doing something for them. It breaks my heart too.

Is Miles active in sports, sweats during the summer, or likes to swim? I would also suggest you check into buying some Skin Tac. It's a another wipe you put on top of the IV prep. It's VERY sticky. You can get it in a pad form or liquid that you apply with a q-tip. It works really well. I've bought it from www.torbot.com . If you do end up buying it you'll also need to purchase something to get it off. They also make Tac Away, which is a pad that you put the liquid on the site to get it off. Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes and it should come right off. Some people also buy De-Solv-It (oddly enough it's by the furniture polish in Walmart) to remove a site. It does irritate some peoples skin, but my daughter isn't one of them.

If you run into a lot of kinks in the future- I really hope you don't, some people have luck with the silhouettes. But if you do, don't hesitate to call MM and ask them to send you some samples of the Sure T's and Quick sets. Did Miles see the Sure T sites?
    The Sure T is a set that the needle stays in. The needle is shorter than a syringe. My daughter wears them and doesn't even know the needle is there. Here's a photo - The syringe is 10mm and the Sure T needle is 6mm.
    [​IMG]
    Free image hosting by http://www.holdthatpic.com/

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007