- advertisement -

Pump training scheduled, now I'm a wreck

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by NJPHV, Sep 11, 2011.

1. NJPHV

NJPHV Approved members

So our Ping was delivered about 2 weeks ago. It sits in it's box with all of it's strange and mysterious accessories that I don't dare touch for fear of breaking something before we even start. We got the call that we meet with our pump trainer on the 19th, and I've been so nervous. I read every book in the box, watched the dvd, and spent hours on line researching how this whole process works. I want this to work, but expect some bumps in the road. Is this normal before starting to pump ? Did it happen to any of you? I am so used to shots now, it's like second nature to me to treat anything, high or low, with confidence. I feel like a little bit of that is being taken away :(

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Yes, it's normal to feel that way! It's kind of like being dx'd all over again as far as the learning curve. But have courage, it's a similar system just with a different delivery mode! You'll have to be prepared to tweak the basal amounts since most kids need slightly different amounts during the day. You'll be working closely with your endo's office (we had to call in numbers every day for a few weeks...and then weekly for at least 2 months). For us, the first few weeks we had some highs until we had the basal amount high enough. You'll get really good at problem solving and trying to figure out if there is a problem with the set (after the first 2 months, we really didn't have many infusion set issues...I think we just needed to learn how to insert them better), with a bubble in the line (rarely happens to us), or just that the basals need to be tweaked a bit or even the I:C ratio. Even with MDI, just when you think you have everything down pat, something changes like growth spurt or etc. and you have to rethink dosages again.

Look at youtube for people inserting infusion sets...it can be helpful. We even called animas to talk us though an insertion when we felt we were messing up a bit too often! And knowledge is power...but don't let it overwhelm you! We read Pumping Insulin, but a lot of it went over our head until we had some experience under our belts. We went back to it a lot later and it made a lot more sense! Best of luck...you'll do great! :)

3. L101418

L101418 Approved members

Yep - a nervous wreck. It took me by surprise. It sounds like you are well prepared so you'll do great!

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I'm right with you. Our blue Medtronic Revel is supposed to arrive before 10:30 tomorrow morning. Saline start before sometime this week, insulin-start appointment on the 20th. If it weren't for DD's excitement, I'm not sure I'd push out of the comfort of the familiar, especially facing a new learning curve again this year.

5. NJPHV

NJPHV Approved members

I think a lot of my anticipation is due to the wait we've had-pump delivery was delayed due to Irene rolling into the shore, then after it got here, I didn't hear from the trainer until last Friday night. They got backed up too. That's a lot of time to sit and think about all the stuff I need to learn!

6. NJPHV

NJPHV Approved members

Good luck to you ! We have saline start the 19th and insulin start the 27th.

7. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I was freaked out in the days leading up to our pump start, and I was actually quite overwhelmed and miserable for the first couple of weeks, when things did not work out as easily as I thought they would. It took a while to get everything tweaked, but within a month of pumping, I was devoted to the little machine. Think about how quickly it took you to become comfortable with injections and realize that it will take less time this time around. It sounds like you are going in with your eyes open, so you should be just fine. Enjoy!

8. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

I was scared too... and we had a 2 hour crash course on it... then the trainer left and Hayden was all connected! It really wasn't so scary... and when he had his first bolus for ice cream with no needle, he was sold!

Good luck! You can do it!

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

Expect it not to work right and everything to go wrong several times a week for the first month or so - then you may be pleasantly surprised how awesome it is.

Just like giving shots is second nature to you now - whereas last year you couldn't have imagined it - pumping will be so second nature to you this time next year that you'll have to really think if you ever have to give a shot how to do it - ha!:p

10. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

I don't know how old your child is, but mine was 11 and took to it much better and faster than I did. The pump reps are there to help you as are your CDE's and the good folks here. Remember to take extra sites and batteries where ever you go. Gone are the days of a small purse....BS meter, Dextabs, sites, reservoir, battery, syringes in case of pump issue...no wonder I have a sore shoulder.