- advertisement -

Pump stopped working

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abuchanan, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

:(Its been a bad couple days. Sat at some point Makaelas pump started malfunctioning and her sugars were sky high. At 7pm sat the pump just quit on us. Since then I cant get her stable. I have been giving her shots like every two hours trying to keep her sugars down but its not doing any good. I increased her Lantis 3 units last night and she still woke up at 300. ANy suggestions from anyone that has delt with this. We wont get back on the pump until tomorrow night.

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Ugh, no advice, but Sorry you are going through this.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

Do they know what happened????

4. Abuchanan

they said the keypad was not resonding but it kept shutting off so I dont know. It would say sleep error and also freeze up.

5. jdr

jdr Approved members

I know that when your b/g stays high for several hours from lack of insulin you built up a insulin resistance. It takes a lot more insulin to bring b/g back down.

6. LJS118

LJS118 Approved members

I'd call the endo to get instructions. Good luck

7. Mom2Madi

Mom2Madi Guest

I'm so sorry this happened to you .... and quite surprised too because you haven't been pumping that long so this pump is pretty new. My daughter is also using an Animas and no problems at all yet. And it totally stinks this happened on a weekend or I know they'd overnight it right away. If this ever happens again you might try your pump rep and see if they have a loaner hanging around till your new one would arrive.

I had Lantus in my fridge for a very long time. It just expired and I thew it all out. Didn't even bother to get a new script. Figured if the pump ever broke I'd do Novolog shots till I got the new one. We came here from overseas and the Endo had me to Novolog shots every 4 hours for 24 hours till we switched to the new time zone. But reading that you are doing it every 2 hours, along with Lantus, and not helping, has me thinking I probably should get more Lantus.

I feel so bad for your daughter and I hope the new pump arrives soon and all is well.

8. jdr

jdr Approved members

What I meant to say was a larger dose of the fast acting insulin.

9. Abuchanan

Yeah I was shocked that it was already broken beings we have only been pumping for 6 months, but I have heard from several people that this is why they dont like Animas pumsps....but who knows. Good thing is she is still keytone free! Her BG right now when its time to eat is 290 though. I just hope her little body will make it through till tomorrow night without spilling keytones! This is 48 hours now of high BG levels. Today is better than yesterday though. We didnt get lower than 300 all day yesterday.

10. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

I'm sorry to hear this, keep on it.

11. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I am so sorry :(. Did you call your endo to see if they have a loaner pump for you? I have always been able to get a loaner for the times that our pump needed replacement. Also, sometimes the local sales rep carries an extra pump with him/her...always worth a call. I hope the new pump arrives quickly!!! Btw from what I have heard all pumps can experience "technical difficulties" just like any computer, and it is not limited to just Animas. We have replaced our pump a couple of times but it was precautionary measure more than a complete breakdown of the pump. I am sorry you have to deal with this :(.

12. Ginger9909

Ginger9909 Approved members

It may also depend on what battery brand you use. During the summer we mistakenly put in Duracell and during an important event we had to leave early because the pump just died on us and we were very worried. I then remembered reading and hearing from someone at our doctor's office that they recommend only Energizer Batteries. We went to the store got Energizers and sure enough our pump starting working again. From now on we use nothing else. It is worth a try.