- advertisement -

Pump start with OmniPod

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by saxmaniac, Mar 20, 2008.

1. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

just read this last part -
    I'd take that that he was lower than the 68 and you caught him on the way back up...someone once told me that if you see ketones after a low that it's because they actually went lower. I wish I could remember the whole scenario of why it happens but it's escaping me at the moment.

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

Wow- let me get this straight in my mind - you change the site -
    He goes High
    Then, at night he is dropping low
    And you are already leaving the old pod on

So, it seems like at first, there is some insulin resistance - or not getting enough to start and then, the new site starts absorbing way to quickly...

Is that right?

3. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Not in general, last night was a fluke.

Usually it's just high for quite a while, and we up the basal because a correction alone does nothing. Then eventually it might come back down, and we revert to the old basal. But not always. Sometimes we stay on the higher basal all the way to the next pod change.

We're leaving the pod on for maybe an hour afterwards. Maybe it needs more or less.

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

I wonder about priming - I know you said it does it automatically - but it sounds like he isn't getting his insulin when you first put it on - and an inch tube is what, about a 1/2 a unit of insulin...maybe that prime function isn't turned on or isn't working the way it should...

5. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

I think I've been down this road - if there was air in the tube, then the first unit or so would do nothing. Then afterwards, corrections would start working as it got filled, right? But that didn't help so we went on to other things.

This is more like a sudden increase in insulin resistance.

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

But only at the time of pod change, right?

What did the company say? I think you asked them about it, right?

7. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Thanks for your 2 cents and to all the others that chimed in to back me up. Everyone has had great points and has also said things that I have been thinking and missed.

And btw, we are not fighting, we are "clearing the air".:p