- advertisement -

Pump start with OmniPod

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by saxmaniac, Mar 20, 2008.

1. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

It's probably a sensitive subject because everyone here tries to make the absolute best possible decision on the care and management of their child's diabetes. When someone knocks a pump choice, it's almost like some people take it as "you didn't do right by your child." I'm not saying everyone takes it that way, and if they do, they shouldn't. You shouldn't have to defend your choice of pump or your choice of regimen (MDI vs Pump). The most important thing is that the child is happy and healthy, and you chose what best suits your lifestyle. I have my pump preference, and I have specific reasons for the pump we chose, as people have theirs.

I think the one thing we really learned from this thread is there is no one perfect pump. They all have features that when combined, would make for one awesome pump. However, we don't have that "perfect pump" to choose, so we make do with what we feel is best. That's why this forum is so great, it helps to make an educated decision on the best pump, or regimen for diabetes management.

2. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Well...it is not in this post but there have been many many posts from people that have put down the pod (and if other podders see this, they will agree. A lot of pm'ing goes on ;)). And I am not talking about statements that they don't think it's for their child sort of thing, I am talking about downright saying incorrect things to make the omnipod seem like a terrible idea. And pretty much trashing it.

The reason why I said what I did is not to target people like you as I can see from previous posts that you are definitely not one of those people that I am referring to. I just feel that SOME people get defensive when people chose the omnipod over a tubed one. IMHO, they view the simple act of choosing a tubeless pump over a tubed pump as a strike against tubed pumps and get defensive about it. I don't know if I am explaining what I mean correctly as we all know that a point can be taken incorrectly in print ;)

As for me being anti-tube? I cannot say that I am. Especially since Bethany is now wearing a cgm in a fanny pack and all you have to do is add the tube and now she has a a conventional pump. One of my main concerns was not the tubing but that she was going to have a wear a pump pack all day and I was concerned about dresses and so forth. So far this is not an issue with the cgm. So tubing is just one of the reasons....and as I said before, she has never been on a tubed pump as I am sure your DC has not been on a tubeless pump so the only people that can truly give an informed opinion are people that have tried both.

Hope that clarifies things!

3. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

Those of us who use the OmniPod sometimes feel like we have to defend it. Anytime we come here with a problem instead of us finding solutions the thread turns to what a poor choice the OmniPod is. Traditional pumps and pumpers have problems and issues too. No matter what style or brand a pump is, it still is only a mechanical devise. Each of us has to find the best fit for our child. None are wrong and none are perfect.

Yes, I’d bet the reason the majority of us choose the OmniPod was the no tubing. Doesn’t mean we’re against it in the sense we look down at those that have it. Just isn’t the right fit for us. Just like the OmniPod is not the right fit for others.

4. Lizzy731

BINGO! I am glad you said this :)

5. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

Not 100% sure about football. Might take some trial and error, but I think with correct placement on the body and some tight fitting UnderAmor, it would be okay.

6. twodoor2

Lizzy,
    I think in some respects that's true, but if you were to take the amount of posts of people complaining about the pod, the overwhelming majority comes from podders themselves. You may love your pod, but I often see complaints about the pod coming from podders. In fact, that's what begat this whole giant thread. It doesn't really show the pod in it's best light to others. I will refrain from making anymore judgements on the pod since you told me at one time, I never used it, so therefore I shouldn't make judgements. You are absolutely correct.

BTW, if someone puts down the MM and they never used it, I don't feel offended. I just want to know a good reason why they put it down. If they're wrong, I would clarify it to them. If someone put down the pod because they read so many posts about static problems or other issues, I don't think that's wrong. I think everyone has a right to say what they want about another product from what they read. I've read about the paint finish going on the Animas so is it wrong for me to tell people about that since so many others complained about it? I think that's how knowledge is shared, and everyone has the opportunity to clarify. I don't want this to be a forum where everyone is afraid to give their thoughts.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Well, I hope that the next time that happens, the Pod users on this board will band together and dispel the incorrect things that are being said. For me, the value of this board is the great information that I get here, and if untrue things are being repeatedly said about one of the pumps, I hope people put a stop to that immediately! Like you've said, I don't use the Pod, so the only things I know about it are what I read here. I count on that information to be accurate, and if it's not, I count on others to provide the correct information. :eek:

8. Lizzy731

And...there has also been complaints about other pumps and people come on here for help BUT since the pod is the only one in it's class, all of a sudden it is put in a bad light because people juts want some advice. In fact, the person who started this thread started a pump for the very first time so a lot of the issues could also be from the a new pump start.

I obviously started a debate with no intention. I am not out to defend my pump choice. I just want people to be fair and to not judge what they don't understand. You can complain about something and still believe in it. This should be a safe place to do it.

9. twodoor2

I honestly don't think the reason that people are picking on the pod because it's in a class by itself. I think it's because there are probably more complaints about this one pump than any other. Maybe that's just a fluke, I don't know. I know our pump is far from perfect, but I don't read complaints about MM, Animas and Cozmo's anywhere near the amount of complaints I hear about the Omnipod on this forum.

There are some quality control issues there that people are not addressing, but I have read about them in other threads from podders. The fact that one podder mentioned that the phone rep told her that there are "bad pods" still being sent to customers a big cause of concern for me. I'm not afraid to say these things, and people should know about them. I'm grateful to that person for bringing them up, as I am grateful to Scott for starting this thread. We are not here to make commission for these pumps, and we are here to share our experiences with them, bad or good, and I think it is important that EVERYONE joins in on the conversation, not just podders. I think it's great that you shared your wonderful experience with the pod, and that you are clarifying to people where they might be going wrong with it, or how to resolve their problems.

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

I have seen Podder's stating that they feel like we are all anti-podding - and yep, I do read most of these threads. And I know that when the pod was first introduced there was ALOT of very heated debate about it here - however, for about a year, I have not read one post where people who do not use the pod say that it BAD...or don't do it -

If this attitude is coming from past posts of yesteryear, then maybe it is time to see that people are open minded and have long since let go of the idea the pod is bad. If you read back, and still feel that recently, people are making negative comments that are not factual, not a question, and not trying to learn about the system, then I will be the first to apologize.

11. Kirsten

Kirsten Approved members

Well... there are threads for "pump/site problems" and threads for "pod" problems. Basically, for other pumps a site is a site, it doesn't matter which pump you use. With the pod it's all integrated. Also, most endos are more familiar with traditional pumps and can give more help with trouble-shooting. And, the basic technology of the pod is still very new, I know that since we started using it 2 years ago that there have been a lot of changes in the advice that Insulet reps give people. I wouldn't be surprised if there really are more problems with pods than with other sets, BUT I don't think that anyone has had a problem with their PDM which is really the equivalent of the "pump" in other systems.

It does irk me a little to hear traditional pump users talking down the omnipod to people asking for pump recommendations, because all of the pod users on this forum are very candid about the pros and cons of this system. If someone is looking at the pod and we tell them that we have pod problems 1-2x per month (which is what I have seen over 2 years) there is always someone saying that set problems almost NEVER happen with trd'l pumps. This seems strange since I read about suspected set problems from trad'l pumps here every day.

I don't feel like I've been oversensitive on this issue. I just continue to give people my experiences, but I wanted to chime in to back up the feelings of some of the other pod users here.

My 2 cents,

Kirsten

12. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Ref Whistle brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrttt! Timeout!

No fighting in my thread! Not interested in advocacy or pump wars now. I hated that the Cozmo rep did it in my house, and I don't want to read it now. Make another thread for that. :)

There is tangential room for Q&A why we chose the pump we did. Part of those reasons is tubeless seemed neat. But just because we like a feature doesn't mean we are knocking other pumps. I don't like where the tangent is going though.

I find it helpful go back and read the posts, and place the poster's voice in the nicest, most honest tone imaginable. This is all misunderstandings and misreadings, slightly elevated with each reply.

Your pump is great. I love your pump. Now, back on topic everyone! Helping me deal with post-site change highs!

13. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

What Kristen just posted was very well said. But I did want to add to the conversation a little more.

It’s true that a lot of the questions and talk about the OmniPod has gone straight to PM’s and emails. Anytime we post we hear comments like “big beanpod” stuck on our kid. We’ve heard how horrified people are because production is going to China. How lousy the quality control is.

We’ve had a wonderful experience with OmniPod. Our pump start up was very easy. Yes, we did have adhesive issues in the beginning. Fixed that. Occasionally have pod problems. Easily taken care of. Not thrilled production is going to China. (But I’m not thrilled the Olympics are being held there either. Such is life.) Love the pod, not planning on making a political statement by giving up a product that makes my daughters diabetes management easier. And quality control, well these issues have been addressed by Insulet and I’m very happy and comfortable with their response.

I honestly don’t think there are an over abundance of problems with the pods. Just seems some love to jump on them and go AH HA! See another pod problem!! Instead of letting us support each other. We do not want to sweep any issues under the rug. We just want to feel comfortable posting. You know, a lot of us think twice before putting anything on this board about the pod. Do you other pumpers feel like that?

And with that said, I’m stopping here. This is getting a little out of hand and peoples feeling are going to be hurt. I’m sure that is not the intent of anyone here. Just please understand where us podders are coming from.

14. twodoor2

Kirsten,
    I enjoy your threads on the pod because you are not overly sensitive on this subject, and you are very helpful to podders and people getting help. :) As for the rocky starts to pumping, yes, everyone has them with any pump. We had ours, and rarely is any transistion smooth. However, from what I read, it seems that there are additional variables to the Omnipod that make those particular pump starts even more challenging, like the static issues, and the size of it, and the pod failures themselves, and the fact that there are supposedly bad lots of pods being sent to customers (which I hope is not true).

15. twodoor2

No fighting going on, I think we're all having a great discussion. :D Sorry to hijack your thread. This should go in another thread if someone wants to open that discussion up with a fresh new perspective.

16. etringali

etringali Approved members

Hawkeye girl-
    Basically, all you have to do is wrap an ace bandage around pod to give it some extra protection. Alex doesn't play contact sports, so I don't truly know the effectiveness, but I can say he and his brother wrestle(okay, fight) and it's yet to come flying off or get dislodged. He's also very tumble bumble(a bit clutsy like me) and haven't had any problems.

17. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

didn't I warn you about the freako weirdo cozmo rep??? LOL I still dislike him.

Anyway, back on topic, post site change highs , like a few have said, are sort of normal in many ways and sometimes leaving the old site on for a bit might help, this happens with all pumps - kids either seem to have post site change lows or post site change highs..just happens. I don't' know how the prime function works to get insulin into the cannula on the pod but I wonder if just priming an extra .1 might help? I know that when Ian had lows initially after site changes we dropped his cannula fill from .7 to .6 and that helped so maybe the reverse would help?

18. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

Hey, I liked the 80's, although I was rather young then(I was born in 78).

Tubing was a "thought" to be an issue for us so we chose the pod. My daughter has to wear it and she chose the one with no tubes for many reasons. So, I guess we are anti-tubing but we did not look at it that way. I feel rather picked on as well BECAUSE no one is allowing an in between feeling here. Because the pod has no tubing and we chose the one with no tubing means that we are anti tubing. But really we felt that was the one that would work best for us so we are not looking at this as an antitubing mentality.
    We happen to choose the pump that we thought would work best for us and so far we are completely right.:)

Marsha: I am glad that tubing is working fine for you but we felt that it would be a problem for our lifestyles so we went with the pod. There is nothing wrong with you stating that you are not having problems with the tubing and making mention of it to the people on the pod but understand that for some people it might be a problem.I could always do the friend story of this and this person who gets theirs ripped out often due to problems, kittens, puppies, chairs,etc. As well as you are reading a support group. Some of the people who have a child using the pod feel we cannot discuss potential problems because then it starts people up with well the pod is going to china and so many people are having problems with the pod. You are reading about problems because it is an online support group and we are supposed to support each other who might have some answers(people who are using those or dealing with those types of equipment). I am not going to help someone with the guardian cgms but will with the dexcom unless it is a basic question of adhesive. I am also not going to help someone with a "tubed" pump as I have no actual knowledge of those because we do not use them. We use the omnipod which is what I am most familiar with and that is what I am going to discuss with others.

As for what is up to date discussions on the boards, a lot of this keeps getting sent via pm so most is not seen. I am NOT against any pumps or MDI.
    I know what was decided for my family and we fought the endo and will fight mor eif we have to BECAUSE we chose it as a family.

So, not trying to start fights or continue them, however I feel that we are really going in a circle about the quality of pods and the use of them.

HAs anyone noticed lately that almost if not all glucometers are made in china. Hopefully it will not change the quality of the pods, I was reading some of the other pruducts made by this company and most are used daily in the techology world. Plus, do we know that all components of the circuit boards are being made in the USA or are they importing as well. Unfortunately it is happening all over and stating that over and over from what you are hearing second hand and NOT from personal experience is getting to me personally. My daughter doesn't really care. She wears the pod, shows it off and talks about it often. She will look at friends pumps with tubes and not put them down or argue that hers is any better but she proudly states it is what is good for her.

Allene
    p.s. I am very tired and typos are present. Still unpacking from diabetes family camp.

19. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Ha, yes, I at least I knew it was coming!

Leaving the old site has helped a bit, but we haven't done it enough to be sure.

On the pod there is no explicit a "prime" function. It does it automatically when you activate a pod. So you can't specify how much. I suspect since the tube is only about an inch and not adjustable, there's no need theoretical to change the amount.

How long do you see lows/highs after? Ours are quite dramatic. Highs 200-380, plus ketones, and they stay there until I really goose up the basal.

Let's not even talk about last night. Went to bed around 12am 130... 2am 128. Good so far, right? Well, 4am 68, gave 15g juice... 6am 280 with 1.0 ketones. A mild low and ketones?? WTF!?

20. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Hmm, I wonder then if that's the trouble. On any traditional site, even those with the teeniest canulas (like the 90degree ones) they only need a .3 prime but the point is that you can adjust that if you're having highs and lows and many of us do. On the comfort shorts the fill canula (and heck, while I"m at it, is canula spelled with one n or two?) I wonder if as part of the pod activation process they need to revisit how much they're filling the canula? Or maybe they need to add that on as a manual process that you can tailor to your need.

it's usually a few hours after. But the thing that I've noticed with diabetes in general, is that if I can get on top of a high early it comes down easier, so even if (in this case) the prime needed to be .1 more sometimes that missing .1 results in a bg that is much higher than you'd think. Does that make sense?

so I guess maybe you could do a manual bolus of a tiny bit after every site change and see what happens if that tiny bit wards off a big high later on.