- advertisement -

Pump start with OmniPod

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by saxmaniac, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Jenna'sMom

Jenna'sMom Approved members

I haven't experienced traditional pumps personally, but Kerry at Six Until Me always talks about where she's going to snake her tubing through or how to attach or hide her pump (in her bra, in her sock, in her pocket). I think the PDM being separate is convenient simply because my daughter doesn't have to carry it on her 4 year-old body. With that said, my daughter has to be very close to me in order for instructions from the PDM to reach the pod; it's not as if she can be across the room or running around while I'm giving her a bolus. I'd say she needs to be within 1.5 feet.

For those concerned about integrated CGMS, it's on its way! I think they are doing trials as early as this summer; unfortunately my rep said they probably won't use young kids for the trials, so I'll have to be patient.

We've experienced the same highs after pod changes...right now as a matter or fact. But, as others have said, with a little trial and error (I've been giving a snack with an extra extended bolus or trying higher temp basals), that is improving.

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I think the reasons why people think podders are "anti-tubing" is stated pretty plainly in your post. Every reason you've stated for picking the pod has to do with tubing. :) I'm not trying to start something, I'm just saying that statements like these could be why people think the podders are anti-tubing.

3. frizzyrazzy

wouldn't you LOVE a separate pdm!! I would!

I was wondering the same thing . I can totally see the pod benefits for little ones - children who are with you all the time anyway. And I can see the benefits for adults and older teens. I'm wondering about the middle demographic - elementary aged kids who need to carry the pdm back and forth to school it has to go with the child and I've often wondered if that's a problem. Do we have any elementary aged kids who need to be responsible for this, here?

4. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

I totally get the beauty of bolusing from a distance...not having to make them stop and stand still, but for what it's worth, I just took me 7 seconds to bolus Max on his traditional pump. Not bad. Never timed it until now :)

5. taximom

taximom Approved members

My DS is in 2nd grade and rides the bus to school. He brings his PDM in his backpack. Stops by the nurse's office on his way to his classroom to drop it off. She keeps it in her office and he goes to see her 3x a day to check BG and bolus himself (she oversees and calls me every time). The last time he sees her is 2 hours after lunch (1:45PM) to check BG. He gets the PDM from her and puts it in his backpack and brings it home. No problems yet ;).

6. frizzyrazzy

oh good! I was wondering how people worked that. I think for us, that would be the big drawback.

7. Mermaid

Mermaid Approved members

Disconnecting is not necessary with all pumps!

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

Swimming always makes my daughter go low, not high - so we are happy to disconnect, and she does have to stop every hour or two to test and eat - not test and bolus.

9. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Sam swims with his pump on all summer long. He will go high and spill ketones if he disconnects. I see both sides to the issue. At times I would love for my son to have no tubes running from the pump to the body, at other times when he gets sick of his pump, I like that we can disconnect it and correct......in a perfect world, he (and I) would not have to worry about this at all.

shannon

10. Rick

Rick Approved members

We have haven't had any problems, he puts the PDM in his backpack, same pouch as his iPod, so far they're both still there when he returns from school. I'd think the chance of the PDM being damaged is much higher than the chance of it being lost.

11. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

I was asked why I chose the pod and I stated why. I am not going to sugar coat why I chose a tubeless pump over a tubed pump. I told the truth. If people get defensive about my reasons than I cannot help this. And yes, I am getting a little defensive because I should not have to lie or sugar coat my answers because I may make people angry. If people think I am anti-tube even though I said specifically in my post that I have no comparison to go by, than this is something I cannot help. People will feel the way they do no matter how it is said. My original point is that people should not put down what they don't understand. And I DID NOT put down tubed pumps. I stated reasons why I felt that it was not for my daughter. It is all relative as people will always view things the way they want to see them no matter how a person tries to make it seem neutral.

I know that you aren't trying to start something and you are just stating your opinion which I totally respect. But I just had to say something in return to clarify my position.

12. Lizzy731

Point taken, I did not know this. But I didn't actually state that tubed pumps have to be disconnected to swim, as I didn't know if it were true.

13. Lizzy731

Bethany has the minimed guardian and I read in the catalogue that they have a remote control for the minmed pump which is kind of like the same thing.

14. frizzyrazzy

Lizzy no one is saying you have to sugar coat your reasons for picking an omnipod. But in trying to state why you're not anti-tubing pretty much stated that the tubing is the reason why you didn't pick a traditional pump, so do you see why people think that podders are anti-tube? You have a right to not want tubing. that's fine. no one is disputing that at all. No one is saying you put down tubed pumps. And from what I'm reading, no one is putting down the omnipod either. I see a lot of back and forth between people saying they picked the pod because of no tubes and I see a lot of people asking what's so bad with tubes. But I don't see either side putting down the other.

For me, I don't care what sort of pump people take. What matters to me is what pump I choose for my child. I really could care less what pump other people pick or their reasons for picking them, it makes no difference to most people either. I'm just trying to point out that what you're taking as bashing can be seen very differently from the other point of view.

15. etringali

etringali Approved members

Gotta say,a right now, I'm glad Alex doesn't have tubing. I'd probably accidentally yank it out today. I've fallen on stairs and twisted my ankle, smashed my hand into corner of a counter, dropped who knows what. I'm just completely clutsy today. I think it's caffeine withdrawal. Didn't have a coffee yesterday. Seriously think I better make one today.

16. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Whoa! I don't think anyone was criticizing you whatsoever. No one is asking you to sugar coat or lie. And no one said that you were putting down tubed pumps. If you chose the Pod because you wanted to go tubeless, that's obviously a very valid choice - it's the only one with that option!

Goodness, but people are defensive about their pump choices! I think we all are very familiar with the particular strengths and weaknesses of the pumps that we chose. I don't get all worked up when someone points out a weakness of the Minimed. Lord knows, it's not perfect, and all of the other pumps have particular features that I wish the Minimed had.

I think it's important to continue the dialogue on here about the benefits and drawbacks of the individual pumps. Where else can we go for the unvarnished truth about these things? If we all have to pussyfoot around so much that we can't say, "X pump has Y problem," then there is not much value to these discussions.

Lee likes this.
  17. hawkeyegirl

Sorry to double post, but I just saw this. Yeah, Minimed has a remote, but it's super limited. Basically the only thing you can do with it is give a specific bolus - 2.3 units or 3.4 units, or the like. You can't use the "Bolus Wizard", which calculates dosages based on blood sugar and carbs, and you can't use it for any of the other functions. I'd really like to see a remote more like the Omnipod PDM where you can use any of the pump functions remotely.

18. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Tubing is not bad at all. We tuck it away in Elizabeth's pump pouch, it has never gotten caught on anything (don't knock it until you try it.;):p).:D:D (hope I did enough smiley faces to show I'm being kind when I wrote this).

It's hilarious, everyone makes tubing sound like this giant lasso that attaches itself to every object it comes within ten feet of. We don't even know it's there half the time. I think if you don't have a pump pouch, it can be a hassle, but we do, and they also have tube guards that keep it out of the way.

19. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I just think us conventional pumpers get a little defensive with comments such as "tubes are so 80's" like it means we're choosing some inferior outdated technology. Tubing is not an issue at all. Jeepers, I'm "attached" to my iPod and phone most of the time too :p

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  20. hawkeyegirl

I actually have a question for Podders that I've been wondering about. We've been told that if my son plays contact sports, that we should disconnect the pump for those sports. If your child played football, would it be okay to leave the Pod on? Would you just tape the bejesus out of it? I'm just curious.