This is mostly a rant, but if you're starting on the pod maybe it can help, especially at the end. Our pump start has felt like a disaster. We've been barely able to even begin basal testing, because he's always 200+. (I've gotten exactly one evening of being in range at night that I could try, not enough to go on!) I knew that it would be a tough and a few weeks to adjust things, but we simply haven't gotten anywhere yet. Take the last few days. Alex was running high. Correct, correct, correct, and he's still not really coming down. He comes down to around 200, which indicates the site is working, but then shoots back up, so I think maybe the basal is off. The ketone meter reads 0.1-0.3, where he always is. We're a little over the 2-day mark on the pod, so we suspect maybe a site age problem and do a site change. Use fresh Novolog just in case. Put it on his butt, which worked really well a few days ago. Again, no difference - he's still running high, the corrections are taking him down a bit. So we increase the basal. Correct, correct, correct, No change. Increase basal again. Temp basal. I read the reports, and his TDD has more than doubled since last week, from 5ish to around 12, and he's still high. We are poking the kid pretty much every single hour day and night. I feel terrible. At 5am Wednesday, I get a 0.9 on the ketone meter, the highest we've ever seen. I break out a syringe and give him one unit. This finally brings him down below 200 (well, below 100) and clears the ketones immediately. I call the doc and he advises us to increase the basal by .05 and monitor. Monitor monitor monitor. Great, that's done nothing already. I need to do something. But the shot worked. How can the site be good and bad at the same time? I hope he'll finally stay down there, but after breakfast he's 300 again. Finally, I call my wife and say just do another site change for the heck of it. She pulls the old pod out and the cannula is kinked twice, but there was no occlusion alarm. We replace it around 2pm. The corrections are working a little bit better now, but now we're back to where we were the day before: a good pod, but still bouncing back high. And his basals are back to where we started at, even a bit higher. I call Insulet, and discover that when the cannula is kinked, you can get a partial blockage. This kind of blockage can block the basal because it's small, but larger boluses might go through at a limited rate. That seems to explain it. Okay, this is almost making sense. Of course, his basal still seems too low, so we have to put in a correction pretty much every 2 hours to try and keep him out of ketone territory. Now, insult to injury! This morning I'm reviewing the basals, while Alex is sleeping. I accidentally press "Enable" instead of "View" and PDM tries to enable the basal, which it can't because Alex is on the other side of the room. After it fails, it decides it must deactivate the pod and there's no way to cancel it! I just did a site change a few hours ago, and it's finally working, and now I have to change it again!! I pull the batteries out and reboot, but t still says it needs to deactivate the pod. Helpfully, it beeps every few minutes. No way I'm doing this now. I put the PDM in the drawer, so it can't screw with the pod... I'm paranoid the wireless range, normally about 2 feet, will magically increase 100 feet now that I don't want it to. Just to spite me. So that's where I am: a bad site and an apparent basal increase, plus a good site and lobotomized PDM, all at the same time.