- advertisement -

Pump Spotting...

Discussion in 'Teens' started by malyssa, Mar 7, 2010.

1. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

So a few minutes ago, as I got out of the shower, I spotted a girl with an insulin pump on my floor at school...I was tempted to say something, but I didn't. I am personally very open about diabetes, I don't mind explaining (unless I'm having one of those days, you know? then i'd just steer clear, lol) or being asked about my pump, or answering questions, etc. But I know some people are very shy about it, and uncomfortable talking about diabetes, so I didn't say anything. I'm a pretty shy person, and until you get to know me, I'm quite quiet around people, so I guess this had a part in it too....maybe she'll see my pump one day, or I'll gather up the courage to tell her about my diabetes....

2. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

So far I don't know anyone else on campus who wears a pump, but I do know of someone else who has diabetes, though he doesn't know that I have diabetes. I'm not embarressed to have D, but sometimes I have trouble being open about it. I too am a very shy person.
    I have had a hard time with D since getting to college...checking my bg's, bolusing, ect. I just don't want to do it....I'm just soooo tired of it all, ya know? But I do it because i know I have to.
    Anyway, maybe she will see your pump and ask you about it! That would be cool :)

3. someone

someone Approved members

Well if she does, but has the same attitude as you, she won't say anything.

I've been in the same situation a couple times but I usually don't say anything either.

4. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

Maybe start by just saying "hi" then slowly work up to talking to her. Wear your jdrf tshirts proudly and make sure your pump can be spotted easily. I know of 2 other students with d. I am friends with one of them and am not really sure who the other is. In our intro to nursing class we were discussing why we want to become nurses and a girl behind me said something about having t1d since she was 10. I couldn't exactly turn around to see who she was or start up a conversation in the middle of class. I also have a prof with t1d.

I love knowing that I can go to them if I need something or just want to talk. My friend facebooked me one night to ask if I had any syringes because he was out and didn't want to go home yet (lives off campus). Sadly in this case I couldn't help him because I had no syringes and we use different types of insulin so he couldn't use my pen. I don't feel different pulling out my meter to test or giving a bolus when I'm sitting by him. He is a great friend and I am so glad that we both happened to approach our prof to talk about having d at the same time.

My other friends are learning, but its not the same type of connection as you all know. They aren't living this every day. When my friends see a 30-60 on my meter they have learned to get me sugar fast. They also are catching on to my typical low and high symptoms which makes me feel more comfortable being away from home.

5. diabetesgurl

diabetesgurl Approved members

I think it says alot about how the person is doing with their diabetes by the way they're wearing their pump. When I first went on the pump, I wanted to conceal it as much as I could. Granted, I was 13 at the time - and the only other people I ever met that were on the pump were friends in diabetes camp - that was in 1998. I would clip my pump onto long socks underneath my pants (back when they didn't have a pump leg pouch) and i'd wear vests (when they were cool, lol) to conceal the lump in my pocket.
    Now, alot has changed. I have two best friends that not only have diabetes, but are on the pumps too - their sibilings have diabetes as well, and are also on the pump. In fact one of their sibilings is in a bayer diabetes commercial.
    Diabetes isn't something I've shunned much about - it's a good chunk of who I am. I was diagnosed when I was 10, i'm now 24.

Case in point, I go to the post office daily for work, and saw one of the guys working at the desk with a pump on his belt. I of course, got excited and said - "hey! you're on the pump!" "he then said, oh you're on the pump too?" then we did the same, grab pump out of pocket (I don't know why we do that in the first place - we see our own pumps everyday, LOL) and smiles emerged on both our faces. Now, at least two years have gone by, and everytime I see him we chat about diabetes and the pump. I serve as his reminder (he tells me) to get to the doctor and take care of himself. Not to mention, he also has told me i'm the only other person he knows that has diabetes that is type 1. So if it weren't for my big mouth, the guy wouldn't know a type 1. I think that's pretty cool.

If someone is private or shy, I figure they'll blow me off - that's fine... everyone deals differently. I'm open, inviting, and we all have a wealth of knowledge that we can share, so why not?

It's all about owning it. Some people may have a problem with that, but it's how I deal. Just like everyone treats this disease (differently), everyone IS different. You wouldn't have much to lose in the situation, give it a shot.

- Kristen