- advertisement -

Pump sites not lasting 72 hours

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Momontherun, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

Recently, it seems we are having to change my son's pumps sites early. He has 6mm Mio sets. Husband recently ordered the 9mm. Does the length of cannula make a difference? My son is fidgety and always twisting the tubing, could kinking the tubing be a factor. We use to be able to go 3-4 days between site changes and now it is 48 hours. He is real lean , I am wondering if we should try a different set type if things don't improve once the 9mm sets are gone.
    Thank you for the help in advance.

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I don't find any difference between 6 and 9mm mios. I'm really lean and both work for me.

I would suggest trying the sure ts and silhouettes. If you contact Medtronic they will send you samples.

ETA: I really doubt twisting the tubing could be a factor :)

3. Momontherun

Thanks for the insight. I will try calling Medtronic this weekend.

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

So what's happening after 48 hours?

What does the cannula look like? Or what does the site look like?

What insulin are you using ?

5. Mish

Mish Approved members

I find that every 90 degree set we've used seems to go down hill around 48 hours. Angled sets always last 3 days.

That said, I know lots of adults who swear by the longer mios because they seem to last better and they get a more consistent absorption. A few months ago I posted a slide show from BD which shows that for most people (even kids) there is plenty of fat layer for a 9mm infusion set, even in thin or muscular people. :)

Don't worry about the tubing - that can be tied in knots and still deliver. :) Most kids do play with it.

6. willie's mom

willie's mom Approved members

We used Mios with our Minimed and rarely got 3 days. We recently switched to an anled set and still have great numbers on day 3. The Sure-Ts did not work for us either because we had trouble keeping them in.

7. Momontherun

His numbers start running 100 points higher then normal and does not respond to correction boluses.
    The cannula looks fine and we are using skin tac.
    He is on novolog.

8. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

I don't know if this was coincidence, was the 6mm to 9mm change, or what, but it did make a difference for us. He was on 6mm, and that was fine for a while, but then they stopped working. We used silhouettes for a while, but we still had some 6mm quicksets (and a few 6mm mios we'd gotten as samples). We also had 9mm quicksets that had been shipped to us by mistake, but we kept them instead of exchanging them. Anyway, after the 6mm's stopped working, we switched to silhouettes that worked beautifully, we tried quicksets and mios on his rear and stomach. The 6's just didn't seem to hold up for more than 2 days. But we're using 9mm mios, and they work fine for 3 days.

Could be a million things, but it seems to be for us, that the 6's no longer work, but the 9's do.

9. coni

coni Approved members

Around age 10, our Endo told us to change DD's site every other day rather than the 3 - 4 days we'd been doing. The Endo said DD was near the point where sites don't last as long. At first I thought that was nuts because sites had been lasting at least three days. Now, though, we can hardly get 3 days. I usually change every other day to prevent highs. It's amazing how it's changed. I'm not sure the reason, but the Endo was right! Maybe that's what's happening with your child.

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

We always only ever got 2 days out of sets until we switch to the Quick Sets, and then we would get 3 days.

11. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

When my daughter was pumping, we learned quickly that we had to change her sites every 2 days because they really didn't last too much longer than that. She's used insets (6mm), inset 30s ( I think 13mm?) and contact detach. All the same. So, whether angled, straight, or steel, it didn't really seem to matter with her. I started to think that perhaps her insulin was just getting too warm with her body heat? I know people will say that's not possible after 2 days but everyone has different body chemistry.

12. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

We change every 48 hours most times

When my son was first diagnosed at 2 1/2 (4 years ago), my son's pump sites (also mios) would last for 3 days. However, as time went on, 2 days was the maximum. Once we past that 48 hour time, his blood sugars begin to rise.

Ocasionally we can make it 2 and a half days, but that is about it.

I think it is just very individual, but every two days I don't think is not out of the norm.