- advertisement -

Pump Site Locations

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abby-Dabby-Doo, Nov 12, 2007.

?

Where do you put the pump site?

1. Bottom Only

36.0%
  2. Stomach Only

24.0%
  3. Arms Only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Thighs Only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Bottom & Stomach

20.0%
  6. Bottom & Arms

1.3%
  7. Stomach & Arms

1.3%
  8. Every where but _________

6.7%
  9. All locations

5.3%
  10. Other

5.3%
  1. momofsingingdiabetic

momofsingingdiabetic Approved members

Danielle is strictly belly...we've talked about other places but she refuses for now.... like another said, kinda hard to hold down a teenager...

2. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

We have been trying the tummy's with a new set but Maddison complains (and I agree) that she feels like it is about to fall off at any point. The tummy feels so vulnerable. We use the lower hip area too with upper bottom rotation.

3. Boo

Boo Approved members

We've only been at this for 6 months so far, but my son will ONLY use his belly. Last time we were to the docs, she suggested he start wearing it elsewhere (...not like I don't suggest it every time, though! :rolleyes:)

He is very wary to try a site in his hip/upper butt. He is afraid it will snag on his pants when he pulls them up or down. Is this a problem for anyone? Any suggestions how I can get him to try it? (Bribery doesn't seem to be working or me this time). I really don't want him to ruin all of his belly tissue. :(

4. Chase's mom

Chase's mom Approved members

Chase was also afraid of pulling it out when he went to the bathroom and afraid it would hurt if he sat on it. THe site is in his upper outer butt. He has never had an issue pulling it out or rubbing it.
    My son had a hard time at first with his stomach and we actually had to stop pumping for awhile. He refused to put it back in and didn't want to put it in his bottom. So the next time we went to the doctor to discuss our issue the nurse said come here Chase and let me try. He got right up and went to her and she put it on his upper butt. So i'm thinking next time maybe I will tell her to put it in his thigh or arm??

5. JenFur

JenFur Approved members

With Kimbelry it is the butt and once in a great while the tummy to give her butt a rest. She hates trying new things.

Michelle is butt, tummy, and I have tried the arm once. I would like to try her arm again. She is more willing to try things out.

Jennifer

6. piratelight

piratelight Approved members

We pretty much use the belly now. We had used the bottom until switching to the Cleo's. He did try his thigh once not too long ago and was ok with it but just not totally thrilled with it and found it hard getting dressed and undressed. So...he has to deal with it so..tummy it is!

7. luvmytwins02

luvmytwins02 Approved members

I'm curious about the arm too? How does that work? We use the butt and tummy. We started only using the tummy, but Hannah developed scar tissue so we were informed we had to switch to the butt. Time has passed and now we can roate between the two.

8. SamsMom

SamsMom Approved members

Sam does his thighs and stomach. Today st school, the thigh site fell out :eek: so back to the stomach for now.

9. Ali

Ali Approved members

I have always wondered how the sites become usable again. What happens to all the scar tissue? Ali

10. Abuchanan

Abuchanan Approved members

We always do the stomach. We have tried to bottom once but Makaela wants nothing to do with it. She is pretty skinny still since she lost all the weight pre diagnosis so I have never mentioned the arms or thighs.

11. Kinerinu

Kinerinu Approved members

We use the upper butt, lower back spot. I would love to try thigh and upper arm, but am not sure where they should go on those! She is 6, but is tiny so it is hard to find any fat! We tried the stomach and she started crying saying it hurt, so we took it out and have not tried that again.

I just do not want to put it somewhere that it should not be! Information would be great on this!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  12. dvane

dvane Approved members

We use the bottom. Ethan tried the tummy but it came loose a few hours later. We then managed with Lightning McQueen band-aids to keep it on for a day.

13. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Kaylee site in her arm..
    [​IMG]

she is rather thin, and surprisingly there is plenty of room to move the site around.. we can go up a little bit more..we go in the direct back of the arm.. a little up from the elbow.. you don't want to go on the side.. there is muscle there.. it looks furthar down that it actually is.. I JUST did this site, without emla.. and not even and ouch or a flinch.. she doesn't notice the sites in her arms.. and we get very nice numbers when its in her arm..we are starting the minilink next monday.. I'm thinking we are going to go for the arms.. so this will probably be her last site in her arm..

14. Chase's mom

Chase's mom Approved members

I would like to see pictures of someone with a site in the thigh or upper back. I'm going to try and use a different site for Chase tonight.

15. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

Brian will only use his upper butt. Now that we've added the sensor, the wear and tear is a concern. He did try the thigh, but it bothered him with his gymnastics (he unhooks, but the thigh site rubbed on the pommel horse, and he didn't like it showing.) He is afraid of the stomach, but we're working on it.

Andrew is butt-only, too, but he's only been at it for 4 months...

16. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

Behind only. He calls the tubing his "tail" and according to him...tails go on your hiney! ;) Gotta love kid logic!

17. Reagan's Mama

Reagan's Mama Approved members

Only her bottom with Reagan, like others she just doesn't have the meat on her at this point to use another spot.

I am curious about the lower back too, I haven't gone much higher than the top of her bottom, always feel like I am running out of fatty area.

Do you go above the pants waist line area?

Great post! Thanks :)

18. Treysmom

Treysmom Approved members

Thanks Kaylee's mom for posting that pic. I think Trey is to muscular in that area, it gives us a idea of how to if we want to try.

For NOW we use booty only.

19. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I JUST changed Kaylee's site today,so it'll be a few days before I move it.. but if you want to do the thigh, you want to go on angle.. you don't want the top and you don't want the outside, but somewhere in between.. like the outer edge of the top... stay away from the inside.. to many main veins.. also, you want to stay AT LEAST 3 fingers width above the knee cap.. Kaylee's sleeping right now.. but tomorrow I can take a picture of her with the spot circled so you can get an idea.. I can do that for the back and upper bum to if you'd like..

20. yonex888

yonex888 New Member

My daughter also has no fat in the stomach area. We usually use the upper part of the leg of the butt area. We are currently using the 9mm Cleo 90 from Smiths Medical. We want to start using the stomach and were wondering what size cannula would be best.