- advertisement -

Pump shorted out need help with new one

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mapoe4, Aug 14, 2012.

1. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

I have not posted in a long while. To many things happening at once for a while.

Here is what I need some advice for

John's pump shorted out on Sunday. Called and got the replacement today.

I have been giving him Lantus for the last two days and his BG's have been pretty good.
    I don't have the pump settings because it shorted out the day before I was going to download his pump to make another adjustment.

His Lantus is 14u, I-C is 1-12.
    Correction is
    1u-bg 120-245
    2u-bg 245-370
    3u-bg 370-495
    4u above 495

John's bg has been all over the last month while on the pump. His doctor made some changes to his basal but it didn't help and I have been making adjustments with no luck.

He does need a lower basal @3am which I do know I had set at 0.350 u. This has been his basal rate for a long time and it has seemed to work most of the time to prevent him from going low when he wakes up which is between 7am and 8am.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hi Bobbi.

If the 14u lantus came from the endo, I'd guess then that his average basal rate was closer to .6 except for that 3:00 which you remember being lower. Here's a really rough estimate assuming the morning rate was .35 for 3-4 hours.
    .35(units)x3(hours)= 1.05(units),
    14 (units)-1.05 (units)= 12.95/ 21(hours)=.61(units per hour)

It looks like his correction factor is 1:125. Do you recall how many basal rates he had? and when they began? If so you have pretty much all you need.

Also your endo will have the rates recorded - you should be able to get them pretty easily from the nurse.

Good luck!

ETA As you probably remember from your pump start, simply dividing the total basal by 24 hours is never spot on. If you don't get the actual rates from the endo be prepared to check often as you probably didn't have across the board even basals and at some point that rate may be too much.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  3. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

Thank You
    I think he had 5 basal rates including the 3am one.
    I can check what I recorded before the endo appt. but the changes that were made at the time of his last appt still were not working.
    I think I will start from the begining and see if I can adjust the basals from there and figure it out from what has been posted

4. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

If his #s have been crazy all over the place any way, I would almost start with just 1 basal rate, except maybe at 3am that you now is lower, test often, and then make adjustments where needed. I know when Jess has been crazy and nothing I am doing really helps we always go back to just 1 basal and tweak from there.

14 units of lantus/24hrs= .58 an hour. I don't think lantus converts exactly equal but I don't remember exactly.

5. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

I am not familiar w/ Animas' software, but if you have been downloading his info, is there not a report that shows what his setterings were the last time you downloaded it? This might give you a starting point to try to recall somewhat where he was when it shorted out.

Nice to see you back!

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

You can also call your endo and ask for the last settings and go from there again, making changes when needed! I am just glad you had Lantus on hand! So many of us pumpers forget that we really do need to keep an unexpired bottle in the fridge for emergencies :cool:!

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I think I'd call and get the last recorded rates from the endo's office and go from there.. like Tammy said, if its been all over the place then he needs some changes anyway, start from the last known and go from there.

8. timsma

timsma Approved members

I don't go with the vials of lantus anymore for back up. I get the lantus Solostar pens for it instead, as you get 5 pens with the one copay. I last filled it in November of 2011 and it doesn't expire till 5/2014. Just thought I'd throw this out there.

9. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

I use EzManagerMax and the Diasend program to download our Ping. You should be able to get the setting from the reports.

Also, I always save the pump settings when I "tweak" with a date format (2012_08_15.aps). It allows me to "see" previous settings. I even have ones named (2012_07_15camp.aps or 2012_06_01Summer.aps). That way if the modified settings worked for overnight camp, I can reupload that profile for a sleepover or such.

I upload by choosing "Configure Settings" then Start; then Open.

Otherwise, see if you can get the settings from the endo.