- advertisement -

Pump Shopping

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jules12, Dec 14, 2012.

1. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Well....his pump broke this morning.....called Medtronic and they are sending us a loaner for 90 days. Now comes the decisions of what to do next. I like Medtronic but I just don't want to assume there isn't something else better out there. The endo office mentioned a pump today I had never heard off and is sending me information on it.

With the omnipod coming out with the approval, I would have looked into it - if they changed how they calculate IOB but we need something now. I really hoped we could have held out until the next medtronic pump came out. Oh Well....the research begins.....

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

3. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Yes it was the T Slim.....I was just reading the thread on them. Our CDE at the endo office really thought it was worth looking at....i hate the thought of losing the integrated cgms - although right now w aren't using it - he is so thin and full of muscle that we just don't have enough spots for the sensor and the pump site....not to mention that he hates the needle size. At almost 13, he has some say and I have honored his request not to use cmgs as long as his numbers stay good....but I like having it available.

I will look into the T Slim - if anyone is using it and has switched from Medtronic, I would love to hear from you.

4. T-bird

T-bird Approved members

Well regarding the CGM I read here Medtronic says that the Enlite will be available for you guys in late February (not that they are always accurate on that:rolleyes:) If that's true it might be something to think about since the insertion of Enlite sensors have been pretty painless in my experience.

Having said that, the Tandem T slim pump seems pretty awesome.:)

5. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Just within the past few weeks, Chell switched to the Tslim. For her needs it's a very good fit, as we can now customize the extended bolus to match her needs. So, if she needs a 47minute extended bolus or a 4:32 for her extended boluses we can do that, what ever time is needed down to the minute.

Chell likes the colored screen, it helps her "see" things clearly.

One draw back that we found - and Tslim is working on this. Apidra is approved in pumps for 48 hours. When using Apidra in the tslim pump, many occulation errors have occurred. Some have reported that Apidra works well and no errors, and many have reported that they do have errors within 24 hours of changing the cartridges. We've tired Apidra, and have had some success for a bit over 24 hours then occulation errors happened. We ended up switch back to Novolog for now..and will try Apidra again another time.

So..with that being said, another thing about the Tslim pump that I like. With Apidra Chell's duration is 4 hours. With Novolog Chell's duration is 4:20 that nice little tail on the Novolog. With the Tslim pump, you can also customize the duration length which helps with the tail of Novolog.

After unlocking the pump, you have everything right at your finger tips for bolusing or changing options (which would go into changing the basals/ratios/and the likes. Your IOB is on the bottom, and your time remaining for that IOB is there also (I love this feature when doing a long extended bolus)

View attachment 2727

Programing the pump is a bit different then the way the MM pump was done. You go through the options feature then - everything is done in time slots. This is how basals/carbs/ISF is all done.

View attachment 2726

Chell is very insulin sensitive after a certain hour of the night..and the weird basal of .913 holds her steady. I could not do that on MM.

Charging the pump. We do not see an issue in trying to find time to charge the pump. Chell can sits and listens to music or sit at the computer - she'll charge her pump. If she's in the shower..she charges. If those don't get done, and we're on the road, no worries for us, it can charge in the car. (I keep the charger in the car) the charger cord is the same as what the Dexcom G4 uses.

We're very happy with the Tslim pump. Soon, the software will be out to upload the pump. The software will be the same as what the drs offices will be getting and will be web bases according to Tslim.

6. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Thanks for responding - it is nice to hear someone's perspective. I am going to participate in an online demostration for the T-slim on Monday and the Medtronic Rep is going to call me on Monday so hopefully, I will have a better idea. The T-slim rep said they would be showing side-by-side comparions with the other pumps and provide Q&A afterwards so I am anxious to hear what they have to say.

After talking with my son, I don't think he wants to give us his linked meter. Even though I don't like it....he prefers it. It is one less thing he has to think about. Also still like the integrated cgms. I doubt he would carry another device. At 12 going on 13, he already is trying to figure out how to carry the least amount of items he can.

7. Dan

Dan Approved members

We have used the OmniPod for the past 4 years and have really liked it. We are looking to see what the new second generation pod will bring. The only issue for you would be that it is still 2-3 months away. I did get a chance to play with a T-Slim and I really liked how flexible it was with all the settings. Good luck and let us know how your meeting goes with T-Slim.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My daughter loves the look of and how the T-slim operates and wouldn't mind getting one. It's cool, looks like an Iphone to her:D

Question, what kind of sets work with the T-Slim? Do they have proprietary sets? Just thinking because we have always had really good luck with insets.

9. MReinhardt

Luer lock sets works with the T:slim pumps.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  10. MReinhardt

11. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Medtronic Update

Just got off the phone with our medtronic rep - the new pump and sensors are in FDA approval as we all know. Medtronic is running a new program: If I would buy a new pump today (revel like we have) we will automatically be upgraded to the new pump waiting in FDA approval that works with the new sensors at no charge.

I am still leaning toward medtronic but maybe after tonights T-slim demo that will change.

The main reasons (not in any order) I am leaning toward medtronic is:

1. Customer service/Representation in our City
    2. Carelink software
    3. Integrated cgms
    4. Linked Meter
    5. Option to Upgrade to New Technology When Available at no charge
    6. Both my son and I know where everything is on his pump. He uses all the options available to him for dual bolus, temp basal, alarms, etc.

12. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

Make sure you get that in writing.

My pump is out of warranty and has several cracks. I'm hoping it holds up until the new Omnipod and Medtronic pumps are approved, just so I can seriously consider all my options. I am loving the look of the t-slim, though.

13. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Thanks - I looked it up - following are the rules -- not exactly what the rep told me but close. I guess I am taking a chance the new pump is available before April 2013....something else to consider.
    Program Rules:

This offer is available to all qualifying customers who obtained a Medtronic insulin pump and CGM system, whether through self-purchase, commercial insurance, or a government program, during the effective dates of this Technology Guarantee program. Any customers participating in this program must obtain appropriate authorization from his/her physician (including a new prescription as necessary), and receive appropriate training (to be arranged/provided by Medtronic Diabetes). Restrictions may apply including but not limited to, your eligibility based on approved labeling of new technology, member benefits, plan contract with your insurance carrier or other health care program and/or distribution partner participation. If you purchase the MiniMed Paradigm Revel System (insulin pump and CGM system) between November 30, 2012 to December 31, 2012 you are guaranteed the option of upgrading your newly purchased MiniMed Paradigm Revel insulin pump and CGM system to newer technology should it become available in the US. Exchange must be initiated before April 15, 2013. To confirm your ability to take advantage of this Technology Guarantee program, please contact Medtronic Diabetes at (800) 646-4633 and a customer service representative can assist you with obtaining an answer.

14. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

That looks good, but with my luck, the new system will be approved May 1, 2013. There's no telling how slow the FDA can be.

15. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Yeah - if his pump still worked, I would wait too. If I buy one now, before the end of the year, we save since we have met our deductible. I was like you and really hoping to wait it out a little longer until things were on the market and I could actually touch/see.