- advertisement -

Pump Shattered By Fast Ball

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Hstntxag, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Hstntxag

Hstntxag Approved members

Our son is an athlete and we knew once he decided to start using the pump, protecting and concealing it would be something to consider.

Our solution for football was to sew a small pocket to the inside of his football girdle, right behind the hip pad. When baseball season started, I cut a small slit in the inside back pocket of his baseball pants and he would run the tubing through the pants and keep it in his back pocket. A year later we were introduced to a product line (https://www.zoombang.com) that offers sliding shorts with a protective pocket that could hold a medical device. He has worn them ever since. We kicked around the idea of a spy belt but he never felt comfortable wearing it.

Late Saturday night he was hit by a pitch and although it stung, he didn't think much about it until his pump starting vibrating and alarming when he reached 1st base. Once he was able to take a good look at his pump in the dugout, he realized the screen was completely shattered and the pump was fried.

I immediately called Medtronic and thankfully we were under warranty and they assured me they could send a replacement pump by Monday before Noon. Next call was to his endo to help with basal conversions. She shared the ratio isn't 1/1 when having to switch back to Lantus (more long-acting insulin often needed on shots than on the pump) but because it would be such a short time period, she advised me to give him the same total basal units as he was receiving on his pump. He was in range at 2 am, high Sunday morning but was in range the rest of the day and then was low this morning. We truly couldn't believe how seamless the transition was although we truly missed the temp basal feature we use religiously after a heavy sports day and the dual wave feature that helps cover so many foods he eats (it's not just for pizza, y'all! ;))We also believe his baseball activity all weekend helped keep those numbers in range. Activity is his magic bullet.

His new pump arrived this morning and once he re-attaches, we'll set a temp basal of 0% until 11 pm, which is when his last Lantus shot was given. I am expecting his numbers to be a little wacky for 24 hours or so, but so grateful we made it to the other side without much drama.

We have joked for awhile about what would happen if he took a pitch right to the pump and it finally happened. Check this 'what-if' off the list :) We were glad it played out as it did and now we are armed with more knowledge for the future. We also talked about just how hard and fast that ball came in to cause that kind of damage to the pump, even when protected with a polymer padded pocket.

Any other parents of baseball/softball players have any input about where their athletes stow/protect their pumps when they play?

I hope our story will be an encouragement to any parents who might face a similar situation in the future. I know there are lots of ways to handle what we all face each day, but I look to this board a lot for advice and thought our story might be helpful.

Have a great week!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We don't play sports, but my kids sail in the summer and are in/near the water a good portion of the day. For the summer, we go untethered. This way, she can remove her pump but still have background insulin running. We give a dose of Levimere in the am, remove the pump and then hook back up around 10pm. Overnight she gets a small amount of insulin via basal to cover the Levimere as it starts getting weaker. This has always worked really well for us. We've been doing it now for about 6 years.

3. georgia

georgia Approved members

My son plays soccer and baseball. He take the pump off for both. I wish he would keep it on for baseball, but he doesn't want to. He slip once and snapped his clip. We bolus missed basal and check frequently. It works great for soccer, he is usually a little low.
    It works great for baseball practice, but sometimes after games he is a little high.
    Wish I had more advice, I will be following the thread.

4. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

My daughter isn't nearly the age and athlete of your son but she wears it in the small of her back. My son plays baseball - he's a Freshman in high school, and we actually play an opponent that has a diabetic on the team. He wears his in the small of his back too - I've noticed it on the field!

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

Mine have never had one break during anything truly active - they like the weird ways instead. My daughter broke a pump screen playing hairdresser with a young cousin. And my son's best was about 2 weeks ago when he was playing with his kendama. The wooden ball tapped his pod and it gave it's death squeal. So, nope...no issues when they do actual physically demanding things...just random playing around :)