- advertisement -

Pump selection questions...

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by GChick, Nov 9, 2013.

Tags:
  1. GChick

GChick Approved members

I so far want the tandem more than any of the others (but can be swayed)... and agree that I need to at the very least go skulking around pharmacies around here to see what supplies they carry if they were needed, 'cus I DO know that there are pumpers around... just not near the ratio as in the States.

Plus my mom goes to the US at least once every three months so I ~should~ be ok (but I know sometimes a lot can go wrong and more may be needed sooner rather than later)... and failing all that there's always the option of going back on shots temporarily.

2. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Pump training is more often done by your Endo's office than the pump companies (although we have done it both ways). How helpful is your endo's office with the fact that you live out of the country? Could they Skype a training session? You could always ask the pump company. Animas has a program where you get a period of close phone support with a CDE during your pump start. Medtronic has online pump education you can walk through. http://www.medtronic-diabetes.com.au/learn-about/diabetes-pump-learning/index.htm

There is always Gary Scheiner at Integrated Diabetes http://www.integrateddiabetes.com/. He does a lot of internet and phone education and support for a fee. He also has really good online courses for more advanced pumping concepts.

Good luck. Pumping is an exciting but stressful step. I hope you can find the support you need.

3. GChick

GChick Approved members

Oh ok. Endo is as helpful as they have needed to be up until this point. She "gets" that I can only come once a year. She "gets" that she needs to give me prescription for the whole year at once along with the lab write up for next year. However, I dont even think she knew how much I was considering getting a pump at the time of me leaving her office last, so who knows how/if any training would go. We didnt talk about it all that much other than her mentioning the pros/cons of some of the pumps.

Tandem got in contact with my answering machine yesterday. Will call today to get the lowdown. <fingers crossed>