- advertisement -

Pump Reccomendations for 2 year old ****

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by RLA, Jan 5, 2015.

1. RLA

RLA New Member

Hi
    Looking for Reccomendations and advice on a pump for my 2 year old. i want to go to our appointment well researched :)
    Thank you
    Rebecca
    Dd 12/2/12 ... Dx 12/2/12

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Emma was diagnosed when she had just turned 2. We went with the Animas because at the time it had the smallest dosing amount and smallest basal amount. Now, several pumps have the smaller dosing amount. You will be operating the pump so YOU need to be comfortable with button pushing. At this point, you don't need to worry about capacity of insulin because I'm sure her insulin needs are low (our TDD when we started pumping was about 9u a day).

We pumped with the Animas for almost 7 years. We got the Ping as soon as it came out. That feature is definitely something to consider - the Ping allows you to bolus from the meter. It means you don't need to go over and pull out daughter's pump from the pouch its in to dose her. You can poke her finger and she can keep on playing while you dose from the meter, etc. Its also great at night so you don't have to go digging around in the bed / crib to find her pump. This is something I STRONGLY recommend that you consider because the meter dosing is HUGE. If your daughter likes to wear dresses, that's also really helpful because its not easy to deal with a pump and a dress for a little one. That's why we got the Ping as soon as it came out and we loved the meter dosing every day we had it.

We recently switched to the t:slim but that was because my daughter chose it. She is now 9 and we looked at all the pumps and she weighed the benefits of them and decided it was ok to give up the remote dosing in favor of the touch screen. For us, the bigger insulin cartridge (300u vs 200u) I knew would come into play in the future now that she's older. The t:slim pump itself is a smaller profile but the clip is a pain in the butt!!

If you want integration with a CGMS, Animas and Medtronic both provide it. Supposedly t:slim will in the future but it doesn't now. Note if you get Animas integrated with CGMS (its called the Vibe) then you don't have the dosing from the meter :(.

If your practice provides the chance to put your hands on the pump and try them out, do that. We have a "pump night" at our practice and we went way back when we were choosing her first pump and then last year when Emma was choosing her next one. Its worth it to try them out. Disregard anything a pump person tries to tell you negative about another pump - determine that for yourself or ask here from REAL users instead of sales people - but check out the features. For you, with a 2 year old, it needs to be something you are comfortable with since you are the dosing person right now.

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

No recommendations as my child is 7... but reading your signature I notice your daughter was diagnosed at birth!? Wow, what a journey you must be on these last two years.

4. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I just have to say having a remote is awesome. It makes it much easier to give them their insulin when they are spinning in circles. =)

5. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

Just want to ditto Nancy's post above. Our daughter was also 2 when diagnosed and is now 4, and being able to dose directly from the meter is huge at this young age (especially with her obsession with only wearing dresses right now lol). Plus, it is WAY easier for her teachers at school to use a meter than to have to dig out her pump when they are sitting down for lunch. Our endo also highly recommended the Animas because of the remote bolusing feature. :)

6. RLA

RLA New Member

thank you !! Thank you!!!
    No my daughter wasn't diagnosed at birth ... That typo is due to extreme anxiety and stress !!
    Birthdate 12/2/12 Dx 11/29/14

Rebecca

7. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Or eating in the car! Not from personal experience...I have a relative who went with animas for the remote feature. I probably would too, with a toddler.

8. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

Ping. For a bunch of reasons, but mainly for the remote. My DD started on it when she was 3. I bolus her while following her around while she plays all the time. And, I love that I don't have to interrupt her being a kid to bolus her!!!! Plus, my DD gets agitated when we have to pull out her pump, and she has to stand still while we bolus. Seems like a little time to us, but to them, its forever... I would go nuts if I had to do that for every bolus.

We find it nice at meals too. We just leave the meter on the table. I tend to pre-bolus her for 10g, then just watch what she eats, and bolus as the meal goes for any more. So easy with the remote!

9. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We went with Medtronic when DS was 2, and I do not regret the decision. I like the pump--its logic and screens just make the most sense to me. We were happy with the integrated CGM feature, too, which was only available with Medtronic at the time. Having said that, the remote would have been great (and, I'd imagine, would be extra great for a girl!). Now that DS is 6 and is bolusing himself, I don't much care whether our next pump has a remote. It will be a toss-up--Medtronic for its pump logic (and familiarity, and our store of supplies) or Animas for the Dexcom integration.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We are lonnnnnnnggggg time pumpers and how I wish the remote was out when we first started pumping (she was 4). No chasing after her while holding the pump and trying to bolus! We just switched to MM (only because we need larger cartridge) and I have to say I miss the remote big time. Nighttimes it was the best, no digging for the pump. Trying to get a teenager to pre-bolus breakfast is next to impossible, so I could just take the meter and go ahead and do it for her.

I think the key is to know that in the end, all pumps do the same thing. Deliver much needed insulin. Some just have more bells and whistles than others, and of course, some hold more insulin.

11. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Animas ping definitely.

12. suzyr

suzyr Approved members

I did not read all previous posts but I have tp say being able to bolus with a remote is what I would want and do again!!!!

13. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

We went with a medtronic insulin pump when Isaac was diagnosed, he started pumping when he was 21months old and we haven't had any issues with using the MM pump for the past 5 years. Not until recently have I wished we had a usable remote. However, I believe that medtronics pump was very intuitive to us from the beginning and was also very simple for grandparents and others to use when needed.
    My tip to you is to get a hold of all the pumps available to you and try them, try setting up an infusion site, try bolusing, try shutting one down, turning up/down basal rates...etc. Do not let your childs endo team pick it for you because they all definitely have their favorites and it may not be what works for your family, remember you aren't choosing an $8,000 tool to make them comfortable but to fine tune your ability to accurately dose insulin for your child.
    Good luck with your choice :)

14. Portabella

Portabella Approved members

DS was diagnosed at 2 years old, we went with Animas Ping, because it allows to bolus remotely, without taking his pump out all the time, attracting his attention to buttons on the pump. And it's waterproof.

15. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

I agree with this. The pump reps will come run a demo for you, and many of them will let you wear a saline dummy.

We started my dd on the Omnipod at approximately age 2 1/2. We never had any problems with it related to her age, weight, size, or basal needs. We did have early problems in late 2012 and early 2013 with product performance, but we've found the current-generation Omnipod performs well, and we are happy with it. Tubelessness was the feature that sold us -- I was perhaps overly paranoid about my daughter or her preschool friends messing with tubing, and I also thought tubeless would be handy for activities like gymnastics and swimming (which it has!).

Good luck!