- advertisement -

Pump Paraphernalia

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Dvbo79, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Dvbo79

Dvbo79 Approved members

So pump decision is in the works we are going to need some advice and info on ways to wear/carry the pump. He is 4 and very lean. So what has worked best for yall?

2. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

SpiBelt
    FlipBelt (when he gets a little older/bigger)

I'm sure others will chime in, hopefully with links for websites!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

4. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Not a pump pouch suggestion, but a infusion site suggestion. Because I had a very lean kid at pump start, the slanted infusion sites (Silhouettes for Medtornic; I don't know the name for the other pumps) were suggested. We used them for a year before trying the Mios when a friend told me they were getting much less tissue damage. We had problems with the Mios because of kinks with her leanness, so out of desperation, we tried the Sure-T (Contact Detach). They sound awful with the steel needle being left in, but for us, they are by far the best option. I've read posts by others saying the same thing.

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I prefer the spibelts because they are very low profile and inexpensive, but my son LOVES this pouch the most because of the design and because he can unzip, remove, bolus and put it back with one hand, keeping the other on his Legos. :) http://dazzlingpumppouches.com/inde...78bfb6b09ca1eccfa2717dc669dc12a0#.VcvHRvnCc8I

The spibelt you have to sort of wedge it in with two hands because it's stretchy, but it's light as a feather and they come in a bunch of fun colors. http://www.spibelt.com/products/kids-spibelt

Don't bother with tubing buttonhole; just let the tubing stick out at the end of the zipper.

Get some De-solv-it for removing old sites painlessly. http://smile.amazon.com/Desolv-Citr...=UTF8&qid=1439418263&sr=8-1&keywords=desolvit

And maybe some little prizes like stickers or something to reward him for putting in each new site (it took some time for this not to be a drama in my house).

Good luck!

Edit: pumptastic has pictures of the two different ways to deal with the tubing on their home page: http://mypumptastic.com/ - everyone I have ever met uses the top way with the tubing coming out of the zipper. I would only recommend the buttonhole if you get the Ping and end up bolusing remotely. For us the buttonhole brings in sweat and dirt so I've taped it over.

7. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

We go between the pump paks and pump bands on pumpwearinc.com. I personally like the bands better bc its easier to put the extra tubing in the pocket with the pump. But my daughter seems equally comfortable with both.

8. acoppus

acoppus Approved members

When my son was that age we used under shirts with a pocket sewn into the back. www.mykpp.com has some but they are around $25. We had someone make ours. We bought cheap sleeveless undershirts. Then a pocket was sewn on the back between the shoulder blades. They cut a buttonhole on the inside of the pocet for the tubing to run through underneath the shirt. This kept my son from messing with the pump. Then we transition to the mypumptastic.com pouches too.

9. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

10. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

SPIbelts and Sure-T/Contact Detach sites here, too. He started pumping at 3 and is 7 now, and he refuses to try anything else for more than a day!

11. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Our all time favourites are the clear face pump packs.. 17096_369797493216069_2351208408685737892_n.jpg

12. mamaberkhie

mamaberkhie Approved members

We use a SPIbelt here. We keep a spare in case one needs to be washed. We have an Animas Ping and use the remote, so we do use the tubing hole. I know some people don't like it but we never had an issue.