- advertisement -

Pump Paks...anyone question the shipping charges?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by thebestnest5, Apr 16, 2007.

1. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I have ordered from a company that makes pump paks twice and really like their stuff. BUT...

I have a caveat with their shipping charges...

The shipping charges seem to be a bit excessive?

My MIL ordered one $30.99 pump pak for DD and the shipping for this one little pack was $9.00 standard shipping. It was sent first class mail through the post office with no special packaging. It took 2-3 weeks to get to us, too.

$9.00 shipping for one pump pak just seems a bit much. Liv liked the pump pak and I told grandma about them, so she ordered one. Now, I am feeling guilty that my MIL was charged almost $40.00 to buy DD one little pump pak.
    Also the shipping of the pak took the 2-3 weeks (it does say that on their website). But, 2-3 weeks and $9.00 for shipping that isn't fast seems like too much to spend.

Would shipping cost stop you from buying an item that is already priced a bit high in the first place?

2. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

I know exactly what you're talking about, and I actually sent them an email about the high shipping rate, (the actual shipping would've been around $1, it was a small envelope :rolleyes:).

I got a not so nice email saying that it's very expensive to make things in the USA... (which has nothing to do with shipping charges), and that she understands how hard it is to pay so much for everything related to D because she has 3 children of her own with diabetes. :confused:
    I haven't ordered from them since. I felt like rather than addressing the fact that they over charge on shipping, she tried to make me feel bad about her situation. If it's that expensive to make a pump pack then they should charge more for it, :)eek:), and be reasonable about shipping.

I'm not saying I'll never order from them again, but I have found many other options that work well for us, and the shipping is usually about $2.

3. cbanks

cbanks Approved members

Let's just say.
    That sounds pretty high. I sell items on Ebay and I've never had to pay that much to ship an item in your area.

4. 5miraclez

5miraclez Approved members

I know what you're talking about. I was really interested in getting one until I saw the shipping price. Needless to say, I went to the fabric store and bought stuff to make one for 1/4 what it would have cost me.

5. lisamomtotwins

lisamomtotwins Approved members

Yep we noticed the same thing!!!! We still order from them though and my mom also sent them a letter.

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

This is the reply to my query of the $30 shipping charge to New Zealand.

"Let me know what you want to order and I can tell you what we can adjust the shipping to, however there will be no insurance cost to it so if it doesn't make it to you we can't be responsible. That's why our cost are more, we have to insure everything because of missing packages when shipping international"

I have also ordered from www.diabetesnet.com and their shipping is just as quick and 1/4 the cost!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  7. thebestnest5

Thirty dollars shipping...:eek that just doesn't seem right.:confused:
    Wow, and then telling you that you can take the risk yourself of no insurance...not a very consumer friendly attitude.

So, why not charge you for actual shipping, insurance, packing materials and any "fair & reasonable handling charges". And, judging by orders we have received...their packaging material cost would be minimal. I can see a company charging a fair & reasonable amount for their time it takes to package, too...just not outrageous shipping charges for no obvious reason.

I was so embarrassed that my MIL paid that shipping charge of $9.00 due to my suggestion of a pump pak. I would have not expected the shipping on a small item like that to exceed $5.00 from any company. :rolleyes:

It reminds me of the explanation of benefits insurance papers we receive, hmmmm...exceeds usual and customary charges. :p

8. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

This makes me so mad!!!!

Oh man this gets my goat. I am a small business woman and ship ALL THE TIME. I use Endicia's Dazzle which is a program that you sign up for. It costs $9.95 a month subscription but basically it allows me to weight my package accurately (my own scale from Office Depot), and then choose which form of shipping I want and if I want to include insurance. So this is what I would do. Okay a small package (pump packs could not be more then lets say 7 oz total weight if that). First Class mail would get you the package in about 2-5 business days at the most. The cost to Pennsylvania, PA (just looking through my logs randomly would be $1.97! It is not insured but has a delivery confirmation tracking number which is all you would really need since the pack is not that expensive. We usually only insure if the item is over $75 in value. Also, if she were to send it to New Zealand, she would probably send it Global Priority Mail which is all of $7! Insurance would maybe be another 3-4 dollars so at the most you would be looking at 10-14 dollars. $30 is outrageous especially when you have supplies for packaging for free from the postal office when sending Global Priority.

On our website we have totally free shipping for all items (not through our auctions since they tend to sell for less). That is just the way good businesses do business and not pass unnecessary costs onto their customers which as you well know, won't remain customers for long.

:cwds:

9. Reagan's Mama

Reagan's Mama Approved members

Just one more reason we use those that offer FREE shipping!

10. mischloss

mischloss Approved members

I wanted to add that we also insure if it is a breakable item no matter the value of the item. But at any rate, other than like eBay where we charge a small amount (usually $4.00 depending on insurance or not) on our main website we don't even charge for large ticket items. W

hat gets me too (when I first started this business) was that they would sell things at eBay for like .99 cents but then even if you won it for a buck...then you would check the shipping charges and it would be like $19.99! I can't tell you how many times, I would leave a "neutral" feedback just because of the huge shipping costs, especially when they thow it into a manila envelope and put a couple of stamps on it for a couple of bucks no insurance or tracking number and it would take forever to get it!!!

11. thebestnest5

I was recently looking for little girls' backpacks on Ebay and was shocked by some of the shipping charges. It was obvious the seller was listing to also make a profit on shipping charges. Sell the tiny light-weight backpack for $3.00 and charge $12.00 for shipping. :rolleyes:

12. luvmytwins02

luvmytwins02 Approved members

I found a site where the packs are cheaper as is shipping. They are great quality and you can even ask them to customize them for you.

http://www.myownstylepack.com/

13. momof3princesses

momof3princesses Approved members

14. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Can anyone confirm, the company in question for over charging on shiping, are they perhaps located out of NY????

15. mom2jjm

mom2jjm Approved members

high costs of pump cases

I also couldn't believe how much the pre-made pump cases cost. Especially considering the fact that these were people who were also dealing with diabetes in their family.

Then I got a pump case pattern made by a fellow CWD parent. (Let me know if you want me to email it to you.) I'm not a sewer by any stretch of the imagination, but I've been able to make pump cases. The material to make them is a fraction of the cost they charge. It takes less than $5 to buy material, etc. for one. It takes me 2-3 hours per pump case. An experienced seamtress could whip one out in less than an hour.

We enjoy using fun fabrics related to Mollie's interests and accessorizing them with beads, edging, etc. I've been told more than once I should make them and sell them because I "could make a lot of money." There's no way I'd ever make money off of D families. I have made some as a gift for other kids though.

16. Gunther

Gunther Approved members

Agreed!

Just wanted to add my name to the list of folks upset by the shipping costs of the PumpPaks. The nature of these items would allow them to be slipped into the cheapest of Tyvek envelopes and mailed off in no time for a quarter what they're charging. I'm going to look elsewhere next time or switch to any number of less expensive products designed for like-sized gadgets like mp3 players, cameras, and phones.

17. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

The shipping cost of the company in question also annoy me--to the point of me not ordering from them anymore! I did order a "leg thing" for Emily to wear with dresses, but I've since found them elsewhere and won't go back to that place, most likely. They do have some cute items, but the cost is extravagant.

Emily's far and away favorite pump holder is a 'waist pocket plus' from www.pumppockets.com. It's inexpensive and extremely durable.

18. Twinklet

PS. Anyone here who makes pump packs for sale, please PM me! :)

19. selketine

selketine Approved members

If you go a CWD conference there were some companies there - perhaps the one in question -selling items directly - so no shipping. All of W's stuff I bought that way so far - yes he has been wearing the some of the SAME pump shirts for 2.5 years. I tried making them myself and I could not duplicate the quality I guess (and my poor sewing skills no doubt). Their shirts held up amazingly well and the oldest ones still look nice. I actually ran to their booth at the FFL in 2005 first thing to get what I wanted.

I agree that shipping seems way too much. I dislike it when I'm charged more than what it costs for the materials and postage. I'd rather they roll anything else into the price of the product.

20. Twinklet

And that's the bottom line for me. If they would only raise the price of the product and lower the shipping to what is reasonable, I'd be more willing to buy. As it is, I feel like I'm getting ripped off, or that they're 'sneaking' in a hidden fee, which makes me distrust them. You are right about the quality of the products, though--which is why it's hard to just abandon this company!