- advertisement -

Pump just failed...lantus questions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by selketine, Apr 6, 2015.

1. selketine

selketine Approved members

We are on vacation in Orlando and William's pump just failed after getting it wet (tslim). I have Lantus and syringes with me and his TDD for basal is about 30 units a day. Not having used lantus in a million years...do I give him 30 units of lantus? Maybe 25 units just in case 30 is a little much? Should I just call his pedi endo?

Tandem is sending us a pump but we won't get it until Wednesday.

Nothing like vacation! haha!

Carol

2. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

Carol,
    I would just give him his basal. Not his Total Daily dose in lantus.
    Wendy

3. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

i agree with the 25 units...you can always correct the high, but you can't subtract lantus, the way you would do a temp basal rate. vacation prob means extra walking, swimming & ??? so will run lower.

4. selketine

Oh yes Wendy...I'm sorry that wasn't clear. I meant that his total daily basal was about 30 units a day - the 30 units doesn't include what he gets for meal boluses.

So just give him maybe 25 units to be conservative?

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

No practical experience to lend, Carol, but I'd probably also be conservative on the basal. Mostly I just wanted to wish you good luck!

6. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

We recently went on vacation and anticipated switching to shots for a few days. Our nurse recommended 80% of basal as Lantus. I'd go down a bit further as suggested above if you are more active than usual. Sorry about the pump. I thought it was supposed to be waterproof!?

7. selketine

Thanks to everyone for their help! I talked to the pedi endo on call with Kaiser who could see his charts and said she thought 30 was fine so we went with 30. I think his basal total is typically 33-35 actually so 30 is a bit conservative. Fortunately I have new lantus and brought all his syringes and even his inject-ease...lol! We shall keep on keeping on...

I'll post back tomorrow night with how all our guessing turned out. Thanks again!

Carol

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

I would have probably split the total basal with Lantus 50/50 12 hours apart. We have a Dexcom so take that as a "what we would have done" scenario.

9. Hstntxag

Hstntxag Approved members

This just happened to us a week ago when my son was hit by a pitch during his baseball game and it fried his pump. His daily basal rate is 22.4 and we gave him 22 via Lantus. He was high first morning but low the next 2 mornings ( days were in range). I was surprised.. Was anticipating the highs.

So glad you were prepared! Have a great trip :)

10. selketine

I just thought I'd update to say that I figured out I could leave in his infusion set (a Rapid D) and use a syringe to give him boluses and that worked really well. This way I only had to do a lantus shot each day. This worked so well that we will do it this way again for water parks, swimming, etc.

Tandem sent the pump out Tuesday as promised and it arrived at our hotel Wednesday so he was back on it Weds. night without a problem.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Carol

11. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

I'm confused. You ...

"Left in infusion set"
    "used syringe to give boluses"
    "only gave lantus shots"

Why use syringe to give boluses? Are these not actual shots? Are you injecting into the infusion set?

Thanks.

12. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

Since I've done this before too, you use a syringe to inject into the infusion set. The needle doesn't puncture the skin, so doesn't really count as a shot, especially to a kid. You need a different site for Lantus, so that would still be a regular shot each day. Some infusion sets are easier to inject into than others. For a while there was a mostly unsuccessful product that was basically an infusion set marketed to be used to inject into for three days at a time. Insurance didn't usually cover them, and pumps started to become more prevalent so I don't think they are available anymore as a distinct item.

I've also found this method particularly useful if you don't have Lantus and have to inject every couple hours or if you don't have enough syringes to last the whole time you need them for since you wouldn't notice a dull needle going into the infusion set.

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

You were a lot calmer about the whole thing that I would have been!

Our t:slim recently failed on vacation (gave a cartridge error message regardless of how many cartridges I tried). Fortunately, I had brought two pods and a PDM with me, and they tided us over for the two days until Tandem could get a pump to us. Although the first pod failed after it was on for a mere 16 hours (effing pods - grrrrrr), so I was mentally trying to figure out what the heck I would do if the second pod failed before the new pump arrived. My son would have an absolute cow with shots, so your suggestion of using the site to bolus is sheer genius to me.

Glad it all worked out for you!

14. aprilodell

aprilodell Approved members

Glad it all worked out in the end. My son and hubby are doing a week sailing trip in the Bahamas and we are taking a travel pump with us just in case as well as back up plans for going MDI if needed. I will def. make sure I get the skinny on the Lantus doing if we do that, as cell coverage is going to be spotty.