- advertisement -

pump go ahead!

Discussion in 'UK' started by jonesy, Jun 2, 2010.

1. jonesy

jonesy New Member

As this is my first post, i'd like to start by saying 'Hello'.

Today i am a happy man. My 9 yr old son , Billy, was diagnosed Type 1 last August. After the initial shock, panic and feeling sorry for both my son and ourselves, i read, read and read some more about this awful illness. on my literary journey i pretty much scared the pants off myself upon discovering all the horrible ailments that are associated with diabetes. Clearly i didn't want my son to ever have to deal with any of these, so decided, after more reading, that an insulin pump is the obvious way to gain that tight control that would offer future health for my son.

Unfortunately we were attached to a hospital that has never administered one single pump. Unbelievable, I thought, in this day and age!
    We asked to be reffered to a new hospital, but this has taken months.
    Yesterday, finally, we got our introductory appointment, and got the go ahead for a pump on day one!

So, don't give up if you've been refused!

jonesy

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

That's wonderful! I'm from Essex, and I've been pumping for two years now, and loving it. At my hospital most kids have to go to Addenbrookes in Cambridge if they want an insulin pump; I was the first pediatric patient to get one within the hospital.

I also recently got approved for NHS funding for a part time continuous glucose monitor, which works with the pump I have. (I get 10 sensors, which last about 7 days each, every 6 months.)

Also, a tip, there is much more traffic in the general "Parents of Children with Type 1" section of the forum than there is in the UK section, so if you ever have any questions or whatever, you will probably get more replies if you post there. :cwds:

3. jonesy

jonesy New Member

thank you. i'll try and find that section

4. Alba37

Alba37 Approved members

Hi Jonesy

Just wanted to say hi. Sorry to hear about Billy's diagnosis, but it's great news that he is on the road to a pump very soon. I know reading about possible complications of diabetes is really worrying, but I think you're better knowing as many facts as you can and then you can make informed choices about treatment and care. What we have to remember that the likelihood of complications reduce with better control and with the newer modern regimes control can be much better than it was in the past.

My son started a pump in March this year and it's been a life changer for him. Good luck and let us know how it goes...

The CWD boards are great but the best place specifically for UK info and advice is the CWD mailing list, more info here

Aileen