- advertisement -

pump failure question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by PAULEEN, May 9, 2011.

1. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

My son's pump failed :( We are waiting for one to come tomorrow. This is the first time we are facing no pump and are a little out of practice. My Endo is out of office until Fri. I am waiting for back up person to call me. So I am turning to you all - the real professionals with a question. I know how to figure out the bolus and how to figure out the carb ratio and I know what his basal rates are thanks to carelink...here is my question, do I give him a basal rate EVERY hour even if he is in range? Or only if he is out of range along with a bolus? I am concerned with ending up stacking insulin if I give him some every hour (in range). We are only using Novolog - no lantus or background insulin. What should I do? Any advice? Thanks in advance!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yes, get some long acting. :(

Sorry, but I don't think you can be a human pump delivering basal round the clock with fast acting.

Good luck! :cwds:

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I agree with Sarah. Get some Lantus, or you're going to have a mess on your hands.

MM should have a pump to you by tomorrow morning, but that's too long to go with just a rapid acting insulin.

4. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

If you don't have any lantus then you'll have to give him a correction/basal every two hours.. we did this when it wasn't going to be a full 24 hours before a new pump came.. we use novolog at the time and just checked and corrected and added in anything for food every two hours.. most of it was through the night though, so we didn't have to deal with that much...

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I have done this for a day.

I gave the basal in fast acting every three hours and did corrections and food as needed.

6. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Thank you everyone the endo doesnt feel he needs lantus that we can do checks every 3 hours and cover. I know its going to be a long night! Wish us luck. I will let you know how we make out. Thanks again.

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

WHAT :eek:...our endo would flip.

8. emm142

emm142 Approved members

How did this work out for you?

I have to say, if I had a new pump coming in 24 hours or less, I'd be very tempted to give a dose of Novolog every 2-3 hours to cover basal needs. If I did even one dose of lantus, it would take a few days for my normal basal needs to return. Plus, I would have no idea how much lantus to give... I used to be on 4U lantus but needed around 12U basal when I started the pump, and I don't know if that was a coincidental increase in basal needs or just that my body is extremely sensitive to lantus.

9. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Thanks everyone, everything worked out fine. I've been so busy haven't had time to check in. After dinner he did not eat anything 'extra' and we checked every two hours. His numbers were 120 to 140 all night which made me VERY HAPPY :) No problems at all. I am so proud of us - though not sure if it was just a one time deal but it was a long but good night. I would be worried about the lantus getting out of his system too Emm. Thanks!