- advertisement -

pump comparisons - Animas Vibe and Medtronic Minimed Paradigm Veo

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ninja, Jan 22, 2014.

1. ninja

ninja New Member

hi,

I have a daughter of 4 who was diagnosed at 3.5 and we have been offered a pump but we need to choose between Animas Vibe and Medtronic Minimed Paradigm Veo. We are new to pumps and are learning. We would appreciate any one comments on the pros and cons of either of these pumps Thanks.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Well, the Vibe isn't approved here in the US and the MM Veo, I believe is the same as the 530G here which was just approved (think I got that right) and the advantage of either is the CGMs integration. Is that something you are planning to add to your D management?

Personally I'd probably go with the Vibe because I like the dexcom CGM sensor. In the end which pump to select is really about personal choice and comfort. Can you see and hold samples of both pumps? Sometimes one will just feel better to you or the interface will just feel more transparent '-)

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I would go with the Veo because in the Vibe, the pump just displays the CGM readings- it doesn't change any dosings based on them. The Veo will turn off basal insulin based on low CGM readings.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

See, I'd cite the low threshold shut off as exactly why I'd not get the Veo given the MM sensor issue with pressure and false lows.

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

If you have been offered a choice - trial them both and see which suits you..We chose Animas Vibe over Medtronic Veo for what its worth.. One of the main things that put me off the Medtronic was that we opened a new packet of batteries to start our trial. The medtronic pump wouldn't accept any of them as 'new' and therefore the pump wouldn't start.. A small thing maybe, but something I really disliked. Animas will accept even a half used battery if you get stuck..

6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

You can turn this feature off :)

7. dianas

dianas Approved members

My understanding also is that the 530g is not the same as the Veo. I was told that the 530g is the next generation pump after the Veo and has different cgms algorithms.

It's possible that your country already has the latest generation of Medtronic pump and it's still calling it the Veo but if it isn't I would want to know what your future upgrade options are and if there is an estimate of when it would be available. Actually upgrade policies would be something I would want to know regarding any pump I was considering.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm pretty sure the 530g is functionally identical to the Veo. Do you know where you read that it has a different algorithm?

Between the MM and the Animas, I'd choose the MM, but that's because I just cannot tolerate the menus on the Animas. It takes forever to perform any functions. But if you've never pumped before, you probably wouldn't even notice. My advice is to get ahold of both pumps and play with them. Push the buttons and see which one feels better in your hand.

9. dianas

dianas Approved members

I heard that from the rep. I also have a vague recollection of someone with a Veo posting somewhere asking if it was worthwhile upgrading to the latest model so I know it's been available in some countries just don't know where. I can't remember offhand if the pump is a 75something or a 77something ( or 5-- depending on reservoir size). I do know that the algorithms for the cgms are different compared to the Revel. The changes for calibrating sound nice.

For the original poster I concur about trying both and see what you like and don't like. Having switched pumps and cgms both I know for myself there were things I thought for sure I would miss or hate that I don't and things that I now really like that I didn't think I would like so much.

10. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

I live in canada and the veo is the exact same as the 530g we've just had it longer than the US has since it just came out not long ago in the states due to the FDA taking longer for approval

11. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

According to the status screen on the veo it is the "paradigm 754." I am pretty confused about the nomenclature, but I think the veo is identical to the 530g in the US in terms of features

12. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

The 530G is the Paradigm 551 or 751 depending on size. Which I think is confusing.