- advertisement -

Pump Class Next Week

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Scoutjr, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Scoutjr

Scoutjr Approved members

DS was given the go-ahead to pursue a pump (he was DX'd in March 2011). He is 8 yo. Any words of wisdom? Tips? Issues I should address? Thanks!

2. mamateach

mamateach Approved members

My only advice...

My daughter, Lily, just started the pump two weeks ago. My only real advice to you is to do some research on the pumps you will get to choose from before you go to pump class. It is helpful to get to see the pumps and some of the their fuctions before you get to see and touch them in real life at pump class. You are more informed and some of the information they tell you in class will make more sense. I just looked at their websites and watched some Youtube videos. It made it easier to grasp what we were getting ourselves into. Hope that helps! Good luck! :)
    Jessica

3. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Find out what pumps your endo will "cover" so to speak. I drove myself about nuts researching all the different pumps, but our endo covers three - the Pod, the Ping and the MM. So I didn't need to waste time checking out the Spirit and whatever other ones I found out there. Made it a lot easier to make a decision! :p

Have your child try the dummy pod you can order from Insulet if she is interested in Podding, and any infusion sets you can get your hands on if she wants a tubed pump. J wanted the Pod, but the adhesive made his skin really itchy and he couldn't stand it. He is very happy with his Ping.

Decide if a remote control is important to you - the Ping and Pod both offer one.

That's all I can think of now, but I'm sure you will get a lot more tips soon :)

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

If you decide to use the insets infusion sets (or Mios...virtually the same set), I would call Animas and have someone do a step by step phone consult about inserting. We did all the classes with our endos office, but we were having major issues with the sets. After talking with someone at Animas, they suggested that while pushing the smooth round circles in with one hand, it helped to hold the set tight and flush with the skin with the other (this would make more sense if you had a set in front of you). That way it made it hard for the canula to enter at a funky angle and get kinked.

Another tip I got from youtube (with regard to infusion set insertion) was to do it while sitting down so that your muscles weren't flexed under the fat (especially in the tummy area).

Another tip...you don't have to change out the insulin cartridge at the same time as you change out the infusion set. We get 3 days on the cartridge, but only two days for the infusion sets. And that's another thing. If you see your numbers creeping up each and every third day. It's probably a good idea to just bite the bullet and switch out the infusion set every other day instead. Have your endo write a prescription as such so that the insurance will cover the extra/month.

Also, good idea to buy the book "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh. There is way too much info in it at first to just sit down and read from start to finish...but you will be coming back to it often to understand more and more how it all works. It will help you will understanding basal testing (getting your hourly basal rates set correctly...the single more important thing for the pump to help your keep your numbers in range).