- advertisement -

Pump choice

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ange_mom, May 10, 2012.

1. ange_mom

ange_mom Approved members

Haven't been here for a long time. I'm from New Brunswick, Canada. Our government is now going to help cover pumps for kids. We are trying to decide between a minimed and the animas ping. Does anyone find the continous monitor really helpful? Doctors and nurses here don't seem to think it is really helpful. We are leaning toward the ping because of the remote and it being waterproof. I want to hear what real people think about them and not just what the salepeople want to tell me. Thanks.

2. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We've never tried the Ping, so I can't really compare the two, but we love the Revel. I just liked the way it worked (screens, the way you put in information) better from the start. Of course, that is totally personal and subjective.

As for the CGM, we couldn't live without it. I'd trade in the pump before I'd trade in the CGM. When my son was first diagnosed, we checked 4x a day, and I was always so pleased that I managed to keep him in range almost all of the time. Then we started pumping, and we had do check 8-10x a day initially to get the settings right. That was when I realized how much I had been missing with my before-meals-and-bed checking routine. I finally realized how much time he was spending out or range after meals, and I could take action to fix problems. I thought I had a real handle on things. Now, though, when we get readings every 5 minutes, I realize how little we really knew about my son's BG checking him, as we were, every 2-3 hours. A lot can happen in that time. Has being on the CGM lowered his a1c? Not substantially, which may be why the doctors and nurses say it is not helpful, but I can sleep with less worry and let him be a kid without watching over him like a hawk for outward signs of distress, and that is priceless to me.

Good luck making your choice. We have been following the new program in NB with great interest as my husband is a New Brunswicker (my in-laws just moved from outside of Fredericton to outside of Saint John in the fall)!:)

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've had many discussion on the whole "waterproof" issue. They are both "waterproof", brand new and right out of the box - but all pumps, even the ping, develop hairline cracks in the casing which render them not so waterproof after all.:rolleyes: Don't let that be your main criteria.

I personally don't like the manual dial up of the bolus amount on the ping. But if it held 300u I might be able to live with it (moreover my impatient teen might be able to live with it - though I doubt happily) for the remote capability. But for CGM the mm is the only game in town, if you want integrated.

Personally, I think that lots of CDEs and endos get down on the cgm because the mm introducer needle is off putting and it takes time and commitment to get good data and not everyone wants to make that investment.

Anyway, if I had a younger child and I was still doing most of the bolusing and my kid could get by on 200u cartridge and I hadn't pumped before, I'd probably go for the ping.

Good luck with the decision.

4. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

I echo ALL this. For my daughter, our only regret was not pumping and CGMing sooner. She was diagnosed at 2, began pumping shortly after she turned 6, tried the navigator and hated it and then switched to the revel and began using the CGM with it last summer the week after she turned 10.

She had months of awful high blood sugars when she was 7 (I'm talking above 150-200 all the time for weeks on end) because of treatment for another autoimmune condition that needed steroids. I can only imagine how helpful a CGM would've been to me at that time, to see her BG rising and how quickly, so I could start a correction/basal increase going before we saw that 400-500 number pop up.

Ella also likes the pump and CGM...We can both see at a glance where her blood sugars are and where they're headed, and she isn't interrupted and annoyed by me asking her to test all the time, because instead I can just say "What's the pump say?".

Good luck with your choice! I know many people who also use the Ping and love it. It's all a matter of opinion :)

5. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

My daughter has been on the ping for almost 4 yrs, I like it, she loves it. But she is switching to medtronic revel because I want that 300u cartridge and the cgm. If animas had managed to integrate a cgm and a bigger cartridge we would have stuck with them. Going to miss the remote.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We have the Revel and CGM and love the integrated system. It's what is keeping me somewhat sane with all the basal adjustments of puberty. I agree with the previous poster about being more relaxed with the kids being monitored. I'm still sleep-deprived, but I'm far less anxious and uptight, plus we know much faster when her needs are changing or a set is bad. We've only had one bad site in 7 months that has gotten to the stage of ketones and that was because I thought we'd messed up carb counts rather than thinking her site was bad.

7. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

We chose the Medtronic because we heard nothing but good things about it, we knew two people who had one (and could help in the middle of the night if we didn't know what to do) and that the customer service was A+. Both people we know that have Medtronic have had accidents (one of them jumped in a pool with it on) but Medtronic had a new pumps on their doorsteps within less than 24 hours.

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Ping has a remote, that's the main advantage I believe.
    MM has the integrated CMG.

Other than that, IMO, they are similar in style with a few different functions and button pushing variables.

My son uses Ping and Dexcom CGM, no complaints, your MD is crazy, CGM has a LOT of value, definitely look into cgm! I'm very anxious for the integration of Animas and Dexcom. I personally did a lot of research on CGM and felt the Dexcom had some advantages that were important to me, primarily the length of sensor life and ease of insertion (at the time my son was reluctant to try cgm).

My advice is to get your hands on all your options and play with them, that's really the only way to know for sure which you prefer.

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We have used many pumps and anyone would be an advantage with a little one. CGM is very helpful. If you go with the Minimed CGM you will need the Guardian receiver or MYSentry or you will never hear the alarms go off under the covers on the pump.

My older son uses the remote most of the time and never pulls out the pump.
    We do use the Animas Ping in water activites about 5 times or more a year. My younger son going on white water rafting trip tomorrow. Older son going kayaking next weekend. We have never had a crack in our Animas has it three years. We did drop a Minimed years ago in toilet and pulled it out quick and it was fine.

My older son uses Dexcom and younger one uses the Minimed Guardian

10. ange_mom

ange_mom Approved members

This is helpful. I didn't know about the differences about amounts of insulin in the pump. Keep the replies coming. We couldn't afford to use the CGM all the time but think it might be good to use sometimes to see what is actually going on . What about warranties and future technology?

11. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

We don't have a cgm, but understand the value of them. Someday we may use one but right now dd is more than fine with just one insertion.

We use the Ping and loooove the remote! The time I value the remote the most is at night when we check her blood sugar 2 or 3 hours post meal and find that she is somewhat low, we always grab the remote to check the insulin on board before basing our decision on "how much to give". You can do this off the pump as well as in your head, but we love the convenience of the remote for this. I am not a fan of digging around for the pump and disturbing her.

Each family will have their own opinions on likes and dislikes and I would probably trade the ping for the security of the cgm, but right now dd is happy to not have 2 insertions and we are ok with that.

12. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

The Dexcom / Animas combo has been promised for years. They told us just yesterday if you purchase a new pump that we can upgrade for $99 to the integrated one in the future. Not sure how that applies if you are in Canada

13. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Warranties are the same with both - 4 years. As for future technology, I'm probably going to incur the wrath of Animas users on this one, but I think Medtronic is ahead. They have had an integrated pump since 2006. (2005?) Medtronic has a pump with Low Glucose Suspend on the market in something like 80 countries, and is trialing a pump with "predictive" Low Glucose Suspend overseas. Those features are early steps on the AP road, and Animas has not yet started down that road. That being said, nothing is moving quickly in this arena, and being able to change pumps every 4 years pretty much guarantees that you won't have to wait too long if another pump maker comes out with anything earth-shattering. Given the length of the FDA process, you'll have plenty of warning.

14. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yep, the Animas integrated pump is in UK only?
    I watched the FDA conference on the internet of them talking about AP and the Veo and was not wanting to approve the Veo because of false lows turning the pump off when the patient was 180. Very interesting to watch. Used to be a link on here. From our experience with three brands of CGMs any brand , I would have to have a back up sensor on the system before I would ever trust it to run the pump on my kid.

15. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members