- advertisement -

Pump, CGM, and sports parents..i need to pick your brain

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Midwestmomma, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

Ok....its basketball time here again for us...and this week has been rough on BG's, sleep for me, adrenaline highs, and delayed lows...:rolleyes: In the past...Tresston has taken his pump off for all basketball practices and games. Which is anywhere from 1-2 1/2 hours each time. And his blood sugar roller coasters so bad in that time...lows and highs...:(

Do any of your kids that play sports that are VERY physical leave their pump on or wear the CGM ?? How? Where? Explain to me please... I think we are going to have to start having wear his pump during...due to the highs. And he starts the CGM next week (Guardian) and he may/may not wear it during practice/games....

Help me out if you can...:(

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Maddie never takes off her pump for sports and this season she's playing, volleyball, field hockey, lacrosse, and racquet ball ( I don't know how she got this way, really, I don't :eek:) But she does wear a spi-belt and keeps her pump tight against the small of her back. So far she's never taken a hit there,or fallen on it. ;) And we too, would have awful highs if she disconnected for 90+ minutes, so it's just necessary, but also not an issue.

Good luck!

3. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

Moms here convinced me to leave Andrew's pump on for baseball last Spring & it made a huge (positive) difference! Basketball is more physical, but I think we'll take the chance now that I've seen the difference it makes for Andrew. Upon recommendations here, I bought a spibelt, and Andrew thinks it is much more comfortable and jiggles less than even Animas' sports belt. We're just starting the CGM also, so I'll be listening for those suggestions too!

4. Midwestmomma

Midwestmomma Approved members

Other than the Spibelt....any other suggestions for "protecting" either one? Basketball here is pretty physical..and can get kinda rough. And I dotn want a broken pump or CGM...

I think we will start leaving it on...and see if it helps...he has now spiked to 420:mad:and practice was over about 2 hours...

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

In Middle School, we are required by the league to remove the pump, as well as medical id's. This does screw up our CGMS for a couple of hours, and it does cause some wacky BS now and then, but I generally find for active sports, like soccer and bball, we usually need it off. Softball is an entirely different story though!

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Well, here are on thoughts on the pump and sports.

Pumps are really, really durable. Even if a pump took a direct hit, even from a hard Lax ball, it would probably be ok. Far more likely is that the tubing could get "out" and get caught and the site pulled out. Or kid falls on pump, pump is fine, but kid is bruised where pump was.:p

I figure that if I put Maddie's pump, which has survived being dropped and submerged, in a hard case to protect it, I'm only making it a bigger, less comfortable target and should it get hit, she'll take the brunt of the case impact on her body. So, I don't. And even with all those hard balls flying around, and knocking and checking and shoving, it's been ok ;)

7. Michelle (IL)

Michelle (IL) Approved members

I'm not sure what will work for us this year because it seems to change year to year :rolleyes:. Chase tends to fight lows during practice (and after) so usually he will disconnect pump during practice. Games are different. I think Chase and Tresston are about the same age and yes basketball gets really physical. We choose for Chase to disconnect for games but due to adrenaline he will also run higher. He boluses upfront for the basal he will miss during the game and checks during half-time so he can get some insulin in if needed. After the game he will usually have some lows, so we run a temp basal after games. He wears his pump for baseball but really doesn't want to for basketball.

8. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

9. jules12

jules12 Approved members

My son has been leaving his pump on during basketball, baseball, and running. He wears a spibelt and sometimes even tucks is under his shorts/shirts so you don't even know its there. He too wears it on his back during those sports.

For his cgms, last year we wraped it in sports prewrap and slid a sports armband over it. This year, I think we are going to try vet wrap. He also wears a short-sleeved shirt under his bball jersey which also covers the cgms area since he wears it on his arm - we have not had any problems. Forgot to add that our pump is our cgms receiver!

I have also got him in the habit of not taking off his medical id. He has been using vetwrap for it too and it just looks like an armband. The nice thing about vet wrap is it doesn't stick to the id, skin, or arm hair -- just to itself.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  10. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

My sons have never taken their pump or CGM off for sports(soccer,baseball,and basketball).Spibelts for us.
    I have a friend that has a 13 year old that plays football. He always takes off his pump.

11. Sportsrep

Sportsrep Approved members

I
    Totally agree with Sarah. Last year Ellie (12) played netball, rugby, football (soccer), cricket, athletics, basketball and tennis for her high school (the last 2 ?out of year?, ie with kids who could be as much as 2 years older).

She didn?t remove her pump for any of them. The key is finding belts/straps that Tresston feels comfortable with, we had to try quite a few before we got there.

12. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Carson has been going high due to adreneline during football games. He takes it off for football. Has to, it's tackle, there's no way to safely play w/it on. I'm trying to keep his site on his tummy (not his rear) on game days and then reconnect at halftime and give a small bolus. DH helps coach and parents can be right there w/the team on the sidelines/bleachers during games, so I don't feel like I'm intruding at all.

13. runnersmom

runnersmom Approved members

My daughter is in her freshman year of college and is running cross country and track for a division 1 team. She was diagnosed the summer before her senior year in high school. She leaves her pump on for practices and just clips it to her shorts or pants. She takes it off for races but her longest race (6k) is only about 24 minutes long.

She has a CGM and has tried different things to hold it. Since she wears spandex shorts or pants to run, I bought some similar fabric and sewed a pocket on to them for her to put the CGM in. That's been working well for her.

If you live in the Phila. area, there's a company called Integrated Diabetes that specializes in sports and diabetes. It is owned by Gary Scheiner, who wrote several books on the subject. He is very knowledgeable and has helped my daughter greatly. Even if you're not in the area, he can do phone, scype or internet conferences.

14. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Ava does karate, tumbling and ballet. She never takes her pump off. She wears it length wise along her hip. I sewed a belt loop to a neoprene camera case which she wears with a belt.

On mellow days, she wears it out. On activity days she wears it inside tight things (ballet tights, yoga pants, leggings).

A boy could tuck it inside bike shorts under a uniform.

http://www.caselogic.com/pockets_tr...ail/index.cfm?modelid=86356&productid=1270943

This case has nice squish to protect both the pump and the kiddo from hard bumps

15. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

He could also reconnect when he was not playing. We heard a U of Ia football player who did this. My son just kept the Dexcom receiver on the sidelines and reconnected when he wasn't playing. He wore the omnipod during football, basketball, and soccer and onlyhad a couple of pods pulled off.

Chuck

16. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello Joy:

Point of clarification, if I could?

I'm going to make an assumption, as a child she is not (yet) being extremely "intense" in her martial arts. By that I mean no disrespect for her efforts. SImply I mean they do not make contact when sparring, correct? No wrestling, no grabbing, little falling down, so forth. Punch, kick, block, but not... grappling.

Just wanted to check. Interesting idea onto the belt.... Mine was always a target or had the tubing tangled.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  17. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Mine (10 and 13 year old boys) have played soccer, basketball(pretty contact) and baseball. Always have worn their pumps and CGMs in spibelts with a separate pouch slid on. Never had anything broken or pulled out.