- advertisement -

pump bump? infection?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jake's mom in NC, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

Hi everyone, I have been reading the message boards for about a year now, my son was diagnosed in September of 2010, but I haven't posted too much yet. I have just been learning and getting support from all of you, thank you for that, it is great to have a place to go. I am finally just getting "comfortable" with our new normal and feel like we are starting to get the hang of things. We had a difficult start and about one month ago we switched out insulin from humalog to novolog and things have dramatically improved. He was resistant to the humalog and it was quite difficult to control his blood sugars before the change. He has the Animas Ping for 7 months and we are using the Inset 6mm. Then today after I removed his site, he had a lump under the skin where the catheter was about the size of a pea. It didn't seem warm or red, and it didn't hurt him...until after I asked if it hurt, so not sure about that one. Nothing leaked out of it, and the site was in for three days. Has anyone had any experience with these lumps and have any advice to offer? Thanks!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Generally, the advice is to mark the area of redness with a sharpie so that you can see if it spreads. Meanwhile warm compresses and/or keeping the area clean and dry is what is often recommended. Mildly cranky infusion site locations are pretty common with us ( and we used the inset for years) but they never turned into full blown infections and generally looked normal by the next day. If the site grows larger, looks red or is hot to the touch you'll want to call the ped. :cwds: Good luck!

3. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

We had some trouble that sounds very much like this. The previous poster offers good advice. I would add what helped us:

Take a picture of it now to compare it to over the next few days. This will work like marking it with the sharpie to compare the size but will also provide color comparison. If you need to go to the doctor you could also show the doctor the picture.

We put some anti bacterial ointment on the area to help prevent infection and left it uncovered. DS actually enjoyed sleeping bare bottomed.:rolleyes:

We had all sorts of different theories flying around the house about what was going on. One opinion was we pulled the infusion set out too quickly and pulled the skin with causing the problem. One opinion offered that the little bubble was a pool of insulin that didn't absorb. Someone else firmly believes DS has an allergy to the adhesive. Some people find bendryl ointment on the skin helps if it is in fact an allergy issue.

I don't know what was going on but we took a pump break and things cleared up.

4. Jake's mom in NC

Jake's mom in NC Approved members

Thank you for the advice! This morning the site looks good and the lump is gone, which I am very happy about but still not sure of the cause:confused: I am hoping that this was a fluke and won't continue happening.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We have seen this, quite a few times.. infact she's just getting over one.. her area was red, and clearly infected, I have bacitracin that I put on it, which cleared up the red area, the pea size bump hung around for a few days. She happened to have an endo appointment while this was going on. She said the bump was scar tissue, but I don't think it is, I think it was the infection going away, very slowly. Its now gone, at first it was very sensitive and she didn't want anyone touching it. I'd watch it and just make sure it is going away rather than getting bigger with a more visible infeciton.

6. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

J gets a bump when we use metal cannula sets. We tried the Orbit micro and every time I pulled the site, he had that bump where it had been. It goes away in a few days with no treatment in his case, but it's clearly not an infection.