- advertisement -

Pump and x-rays

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by minniem, Jan 16, 2012.

1. minniem

minniem Approved members

Can you wear your pump while having dental x-rays done? I know the manual says to remove the pump when you have x-rays/ct scans/mri's...but these are digital dental xrays. Didn't know if the rules would be different.

Thanks!

2. Mom2Av

Mom2Av Approved members

I would err on the side of caution and disconnect. My ds will be going to the dentist in a few and I plan to disconnect if he is having xrays. I know they are digital, but they still cover you up with that lead apron to protect you. :)

3. valerie-k

valerie-k Approved members

well, my dads pump went to Xray a few times... and a cat scan once. Still works just fine. However, I disconect the pump when I can. (did even for dad, but hospitals had a funny way of taking him to Xray at 7am when Im wasnt there and forgetting to take the pump off)

I also have them put the lead apron on, even tho some have said its not nessesary, the dentist still will do it.

4. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

Dental x-rays are fine. They will put a lead apron over your chest while doing the x-ray thus protecting your pump.

Pumps should not be placed under/through an x-ray scanner directly.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We just make sure the pump is fully covered by the apron. Our dentist did some investigating and was told that it is ok for pumps to go through dental x-rays only. I guess because it's far enough from the x-ray location and it's covered by the lead apron.

6. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Never removed for dental xrays. BUT just so you know--MRI KILLLLED the pump. I was holding it and dd's glasses and book and they said I could come in before they put her under so I did and when I left the pump was dead. I mean DEAD. :eek: