- advertisement -

Pump and waiting a year

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Jacob's Mommy, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Jacob's Mommy

Jacob's Mommy Approved members

Jacob was diag 10-3-05 (he is 3 1/2 years old) and I want to get him on the pump. His Endo says he has to wait for 1 year after being diag to get the pump. We have his f/u appt this Wednesday and again I will go in asking for him to be put on the pump. He has been out of his honeymoon phase for almost 2 months now.

Does anyone have any suggestions on things I can tell his Endo to maybe persuade her to put him on the pump? Did anyone get told they have to wait a year before their child could get one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

You may want to find abstracts and articles on the positive aspects of pump therapy in pre-school children. Here's one article. You'll need adobe to open and print it

http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/dia.2005.7.876

Insulin Pump Therapy in Preschool Children with Type
    1 Diabetes Mellitus Improves Glycemic Control
    and Decreases Glucose Excursions and the Risk
    of Hypoglycemia

----------------

also, try searching here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=pubmed

use the search terms CSII and children​

3. Jacob's Mommy

Thanks Ellen, I will look up the sites.

4. zimbie45

zimbie45 Approved members

HI
    I know what you are going thru..my daughter charlize is now age 5.. dx age 3 ( 4 days befor her 4th bday).. we too wanted her to be on a pump, but where unable to convince the doctors at all.. We live in phoenix, az and had talk to other moms who have there kids on it and was adv that it took them several years befor they could get the doc's to agree. Basically what we where told is that they want the kids and familys to be Experiaced in the " manual" way of doing things in case something went wrong with the pump .. ( ok) Well we went in for her 1 year follow up about 2 weeks ago.. i figured i'll ask again for the 10th time.. assumed id be told no again.. and was pleasantly surprised by a yes.. we are supposed to have it delivered on wednesday.. They main thing that i did in my approch was tell teh doctors about control issues and why the pump would benifit her as far as control goes.. i had also done tons of research on the diffrent pumps, ( all willl mail you out info) i went with my research... they couldnt say no.

It will happen... just hang in there

Chandra
    mom of charlize age 5 dx 1/4/05
    sean age 2 non-d

5. delvec

delvec Approved members

It varies from endo to endo-
    Our Endo and CDE are very pro pump but they gave one exception- Christopher had to express interest in it. Now since he's 5 we couldn't explain to him the full benefits so we laid it out in simple terms-
    "Right now Christopher you are getting between this many(6-10) shots every day, if you go on the pump, you will get this many in 3 days (1)" Sold real quick and from that it took no time for us to get the ball rolling. After 3 months, he is really getting used to life on the pump.

Its a shame they(endos) cant all be like that. But I would not stop asking.

6. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

I can't remember where I found it, but I know there was a study looking at putting preschoolers directly on a pump at diagnosis finding they did well. Good luck!

7. melissabeth

melissabeth Approved members

We wanted to start earlier on the pump too, and my endo was hesitant. I think he had the impression that we wanted a way to avoid giving Colby (who is 16 months old and was diagnosed at 10 months) shots and thought this was an easy solution (vs. a better way to control his numbers) and he repeatedly told us that the pump was just as much "work" in terms of testing his blood and staying on top of things. Once he was convinced that we understood this and that we would keep checking his blood sugars as often (or more) as we do now he was more willing to start the pump. Colby's been pumping for about a month now and we're all much happier with his control

8. Jacob's Mommy

Thank you everyone for your responses. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

9. earruda

earruda Approved members

Waiting for the Pump

My daughter went on the pump within 6 months of her diagnoses. I am an RN and feel strongly that if you think the pump will give you the best outcomes and you are committed to learning then it is not your physicians decision.....it is yours. If he/ she can not support this then you might need to consider finding another physician to follow your child's diabetes. I know I sound harsh but working in healthcare I feel strongly that your physician works for you....The pump has been shown in numerous studies to be best practice. Care should be individualized for each patient and you know your child better than any physician ever will.

10. Ginger9909

Ginger9909 Approved members

Wow its something how different doctors work. My daughter is 22 months old and newly diagnosed. They have asked us twice about the pump. We have decided to learn the old fashioned way first before going on the pump. You should probably go find yourself another team that will work with you, it is your decision, not the doctors.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We are newly diagnosed, going on 8 months of diabetes. We do go a diabetes center that is known for its aggressive treatment. We just recently started the pump even though we are honeymooning. If you feel strongly about wanting your child on the pump, and feel that you have learned the "old fashioned" way of treating diabetes, and have that comfortably under your belt, go prepared. Do research, have info on different pumps etc. Let them know you are aware that this is not an easy way out for diabetic care, that it will add to an overall better quality of life and a better control of diabetes. There are many good research papers out there about young children and the pump. I think Ellen refrenced these earlier. Ask your endo. for a psych evaluation (they talk with those involved with the pump ie. parents, child). We had to go through one as part of our pump process. Hopefully your doctor will see your strong desire. I know that there is a lack of pediatric endos, but is there any way you can go somewhere else for a second opinion?
    Good luck to you!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2006