- advertisement -

Pump Allergies

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MomofSweetOne, Jul 22, 2015.

1. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

The last four pods my daughter has worn have lasted about one day before she has red, inflamed, and infected infusion sites. Until this, she hadn't had any sites problems in four years. When the first two happened, she switched back to wearing the Medtronic pump with Sure-T infusion sets. When she switched back to the pod, the same thing happened with the next two pods. She hasn't worn the pod since.

I'm wondering if she could be reacting to the cannula materials? Does anyone else have experience with a problem like this? A friend did wonder if the pods could be contaminated, but I think they were from different boxes.

2. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

It sure seems like over time the kids can develop allergies to the materials in the infusion sets/pods. Have you tried any of the barrier options underneath the pods? Could sweating/weather issues be contributing to the issue? I know last summer my daughter had a horrible reaction to dexcom when doing a trial at diabetes camp. She never has issues with adhesives/sites, etc. I had to think it was related to sweating, swimming etc.

How old is she? wondering if puberty/changing body chemistry is causing the issue.

3. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

I've read and also have a friend whose T1D is allergic to the adhesive. Some folks use different barriers on the skin between the pod/Dexcom to manage the allergy. I know if you search the site many have posted different solutions.

4. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter developed an allergy to the cleo adhesive about a year after starting it.

We wondered about a cannula allergy too and when the nurse looked at the rash, she said it was definitely the adhesive due to the shape of the rash. Said cannula allergies would be more pinpointed, hers really was about the size and shape of the adhesive. We had all kind of numbers problems until we figured something out - I think her scratching the itch would move/dislodge the cannula.

We now cut a square of flexifix and put that on her skin - then insert the cleo through the tape so its adhesive sticks to the tape, not to her skin. Works great.

5. MomofSweetOne

I don't think it's adhesive that she's reacting to, as the redness/lumps have only been at the cannula, not under all the adhesive. She's going to try a pod again tomorrow from a different lot, so we'll see if it happens again. I hope it doesn't!

6. lisacolnett

lisacolnett New Member

Any update?

7. MomofSweetOne

The pod was loose after a day of waterskiing and swimming, so she asked for the Medtronic back after her shower. It told me a lot of how miserable the infections/inflammation are that she wanted it off that fast. I'm glad we got it through cut-the-cord rather than as her primary pump.

8. selketine

selketine Approved members

I believe my son William is allergic to the cannula sets. He is 13 now but started pumping at age 2 and we started out with Rapid D's which have the steel needle (similar set to the Sure T). Any time I've tried a cannula set on him it will fail in less than 36 hours and there will be redness/itch where the cannula goes in. The irritation is VERY obviously at the point of insertion and not redness from tape. This is why we've never even considered the Omnipod as I doubt it would work for him. He hasn't tried a cannula set in a few years now and I suppose it is possible that the allergy could go away over time but I really have no idea.

I didn't look at your situation in detail but had she been wearing Omnipod with NO problems until just the last 4 pods or is the Omnipod completely new? If she has always been wearing a steel needle set and just now switched to cannula - I truly think she has an allergy to the material in the cannula (teflon?).

I rarely read the forums now (I used to all the time...lol!) but this is a very RARE problem to have. It's just ironic I decided to look at the forums and saw your post...lol! :smile:

9. RomeoEcho

RomeoEcho Approved members

I used teflon with no problems for about six years. Then fought with them for months. My body just rejected site after site, occasionally putting up with it for a couple days at a time. I switched to steel and haven't had a problem since. That was over five years ago, and you couldn't pay me to switch back.

10. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Gracie was allergic to the Teflon cannula for a long time. She tried the omnipod and had no luck. We went to the steel sets for a few years and now she can tolerate the Teflon again. When I spoke to omnipod they said they had never heard of that before. It was any Teflon site -- only the steel worked. She also had a few other allergies (milk was one) that she seemed to outgrow.