- advertisement -

Pump Alarm Went Off!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hold48398, Sep 10, 2006.

1. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

So...tonight we had our first alarm goes off on Mia's pump - this was not a simple battery alarm noooo but a CALL SERVICE/NO DELIVERY Alarm....oh, this scared the heck out of me!!!!! We didn't hear the sound despite it being set on high but Mia jumped out of bed when the pump started vibrating as well. I guess there is an auto-fallback if there is no response to the sound of the alarm, the pump starts vibrating after 10 minutes or so.

Wow, I realized just how much (Mia's) life depended on the pump. I also got nervous about the thought of having to get back on shots if something was wrong with the pump. I was so scared when I called Animas but they told me it needed a simple "reboot". Oh, what a relief!!!

This experience raised another question though: What if the alarm goes off in the middle of the night and we can't hear it?? What if Mia sleeps through the vibrations??? How do you deal with that? How often do they occur??

I am (and have been since diagnosis) testing Mia at midnight and 3am so there has never be more than 3-4 hours before the next check but I hope that I can skip a middle-of-the-night waking at some time in the future.

I would love to hear others' thoughts and experiences on this subject.

2. nantomsuethom

nantomsuethom Approved members

Thomas had a pumps that did this often, same alarm. They say if it is the same # on the alarm 3 times with in 3 months time they will replace it. We have been through a few pumps because of this. We finally have a pump that doesn't alarm that often, maybe once every couple of months.

3. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Some parents use a baby monitor in their child's room to listen for those kinds of alarms.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We had a situation where the alarm went off for a low battery, and because Abby was sleeping on top of it in a pump pack we never heard it. We even use a monitor, but she was just to well padded! So, the battery drained, and the pump shut down. So, she was without insulin for about 5hrs resulting in through the roof numbers for about a day. The pump uses a lithium battery and they drain down quick once they start to go. I now change the battery every 5 weeks regardless if it needs it or not to avoid this happening again.

So far no other problems (fingers crossed that I'm not jinxing myself today:) )

5. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We had a battery alarm go off during the daytime that we didn't hear. And of course, Carson didn't pay attention to it, either. Eventually, the pump shut down, and when it did it set off a really loud siren alarm -- It sounded like a fire drill!!! We could hear it all the way in the kitchn downstairs and he was upstairs in the bedroom with his door shut!!! I have never heard that before on his pump, but it made me feel better that if it ever shut down again, we would hear it!

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

William's pump shut off once because the battery was dead. We got not warning that the battery was going low - the indicator was at full power so this was a malfunction by the pump. We had a baby monitor on too and didn't hear the alarm. The pump was alarming and vibrating and finally it did wake William up but I think he was without insulin for about an hour. Now we change the battery every month even though the indicator shows full battery:rolleyes:

I think if you have a little kid on a pump you have to check them out in the middle of the night. I don't know about teenagers either - would that wake them up? I know we have it set to maximum alerts for serious problems and it wouldn't hurt if the alarm was even louder.

7. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

I've never had an alarm on Emma's pump yet, I'm not even sure what it would sound like. We keep a baby monitor next to her crib, and I usually hear everything. I still test her around midnight every night, but have cut out the 2-3am test most nights. So far we've never had a low or any other problem during that time frame since she started pumping.
    When my husband was on an Animas pump we were awakened many, many times with alarms in the night. It does sound like a siren and will get your attention!

8. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

We, knock on wood have never had an alarm go off with Ty's pump. That being said I kind of wish that ours was maybe a little more sensetive. Last night I went in to check Tyler at about 2:30 or so and he was at 456 mg/dl. I couldn't believe his number was so high. We have been struggling with nothing but low's the past week of school so I was shocked. I woke him and he was tired and of coarse unhappy that we were doing a site change. When he removed the infusion set it was kinked. I've never had this happen before.

The only thing that I'm attributing it to at this point is that his doctor said that Ty's sides look great but we may in the future want to try his back side. He's really thin so we are limited as to where we can put these sites. So we did use his backside. The site was good, it had been in all day and yes as anticipated we were fighting the lows. So I was pretty shocked. I don't know if when he got into the tub last night he bumped it or what but I do know that I was sitting there thinking the alarm should have gone off as this thing was bent.

Ty is eleven almost twelve and could still sleep through a tornado going through. I would like it if his pump could wake him. We sleep with all of the doors open and I would hope it would wake me up if it went off. We had talked about the baby monitor thing but we felt at his age it would make him feel like his privacy was being invaded. I now feel like maybe we should do this. I don't know we still have to think about it and talk with him.

As a preteen we still have to check but only when needed. His numbers have been really crazy the last month so we have been pretty tired lately with the every two to three hour deal. Typically if there is a change made we have to check for a couple of nights and then once a week after that so it's not so intensive but this has not been the case lately.

I think it gets easier the older they get but they try to make the adjustments that you would somtimes because of what you know and they aren't ready for that yet. For example, well I'm high because of a rebound from a low so I don't need to change the site just do a correction. Ty will forget that he also needs to check the line for a kink or an air bubble and when he corrects he forgets that we correct at only 65% if it's a rebound or he will get low again. So we still have to remind him that he may need to make that phone call when he's at school as he is self managing for the most part but may need a little input.

What I'm noticing with the back to school thing is anxiety when he is high or low. He want's the best not some flunky teacher you know. He treats himself but is nervous because he's not at home I guess for back up if he needs it. We talked to him about it yesterday and it seemed to help. It's just that the school's training isn't until Wednesday and yes I met with them but they still don't have it all in check of coarse. When Ty went to his teacher of Friday and said my blood sugar is this, she asked him what he needed to do and he said it and did it but I think it freaked him out that she didn't just know.

There are alot of things that are easier when they are teens and I think if we had had the alarm go off that loud it would have woke him, I was just upset that it hadn't.

Good Luck! Great reminder Ellen. God Bless! Tami

9. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Not quite on the original topic: I have a thin 12 year old (5' 10.5" and 119 lbs) about to go on insulin on the pump. The clinic says that the stomach is the best, but he has very little fat there. While on saline, he used a 9mm canula which went right into a vein. Talk about a bleeder when he took it out!

Is the backside placement right below the underwear line? He has a tad more fat on his backside.

10. Becky

Becky Approved members

Why not try a 6mm cannula? I'm about the same weight and only a little shorter, and I've been using 6mm sets with great success lately. 9mm sounds too long for him IMHO.

Becky

11. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Sorry -- I should have been more specific. He has 5 boxes of 6 mm. The 9mm one we used was in the box with the pump. I didn't think to look carefully at the number. Insets inserters are a little hard to read.

12. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

I think you will definitely notice a big difference with the 6mm -- it doesn't look like much difference, but to a skinny kid it is.

My son is thin, and he can get enough on his stomach for an angled set. He also uses a 6-mm straight-in set on his upper backside/hips -- sort of where "love handles" would be if he was older and heavier! They work really well.

13. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

Marisa, I know you posted this like 5 years ago?? But the same thing happened to me tonight (well, 3:30am) with my daughter and after I got off the phone with Animas (who I always get the best tech support person and help whenever I call) and got my daughter's site changed, I searched for this subject online. And, even after almost 4 years of pumping, I too realized when the pump alerted that there was no service and to call, that her life totally depends on the pump and insulin. We've had this alarm before, but maybe once? So, of course it's 3:30am, and everyone's sleeping but me and I'm shaking as I dial the Animas tech number. Sigh!! Everything is fine now. But, I just had to post because I was a bit shaken. I honestly think I have an old Lantus in the fridge, in case we had to do shots, and I need to get that refilled tomorrow. Tonight's episode made me realize that I need to be prepared at any time to use shots if need be.

The reason I had to do a site change in the middle of the night (and of course the alarm goes off as it's rewinding), was because it was day #3 with my DD's inset. THe one where it's a plastic canula. She really can't go past day 3 with this particular inset. We just went back to these insets, after figuring out that her all over itchiness and red bumps on her back was from a nickel allergy she must have developed over hte past 6 months when we switched to the contact-detach. And I loved the contact-detach! Oh well. So now she's been great for the past 3 days, no itchies. However, we are back to my squirmy 6 year old using the flexible canula and it always seems to come out, even with that sticker on it, to cover.

ok everyone, hope this email finds you well. Even though I wish none of this upon any of you, I was happy to see this posting from years ago. I needed it tonight. So, thank you.

Kristin

14. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

Grace's pump has gone to no delivery in the night. Like you, we check at night, but still 3 hours without insulin is a long time. We use a baby monitor, which helps, still with covers on in winter it is difficult to hear. Eventually I do hear it, though. Once it was a bit too long, had large ketones upon waking, but usually I hear it within 10-15 minutes thru my fog of sleep:)