- advertisement -

Pump advice for 6 year old boy

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by packmule, Jul 1, 2014.

1. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Here's some info. about basal rate increments I was given by our CDE:

Accu-Chek Combo: 0.01 units
    Animas: 0.025 units
    Medtronic: 0.025 units
    OmniPod: 0.05 units
    t-Slim: 0.1 units

Someone please correct me if I've gotten this wrong.

ETA: I posted this before I saw mmgirls's post (above). Wasn't meaning to imply that what mmgirls posted was incorrect in any way. She just "beat me to it"!

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

see my above correction

3. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Perfect. Thanks!

4. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I find information about the Accu-Chek super confusing, especially in light of my very limited experience with pumps. The whole "meal rise" thing is difficult for me to wrap my mind around. Here's the blurb written in the column under "Accu-Chek Combo" regarding Bolus Calculator that was given to us by our CDE:

"Corrects to middle of target range using meal rise to avoid over correcting at mealtime and has negative correction for food *bolus calculator only available on meter remote"

I'm still trying to think through this... mmgirls, can you explain "meal rise" and how it figures into bolus calculations to me? Thank you in advance!

5. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

This is something I wrote in another thread

"From my understanding of the meal rise and offset time it only has to do with the pump deciding when a correction is to be given. The 2 settings together are Roche's Meal IOB calculation, ( sort of like a multiwave IOB algorithm instead of Animas's curvilinear and Omnipod's linear)

Were Animas and Omnipod always make an IOB calculation, the Combo system has an if bg is above meal rise and past offset time it will suggest a BG correction. Meat rise and offset time will never suggest a reverse correction for meal IOB because it's purpose is to not allow you to stack insulin, and determine meal IOB is not enough to bring bg back to target within insulin duration."

In regards to the info from your CDE, yes it will correct to midpoint of range utilizing "correction IOB only" to reverse correct a meal bolus. The Combo will not reverse correct from meal IOB because it does not track meal IOB, instead it uses the meal rise and offset time as parameters on deciding if a "correction" is needed. You really have to look ant the pretty little graphs that they have to get a real feel of it

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Since his basal needs are so low, you'd be better off with the Ping. (Although I wouldn't worry about the t:slim "bugs". It has been on the market almost 2 years. I don't know that there are any initial bugs left.) You can't set a 0 basal rate on the Omnipod, so that is the only one I would definitely avoid.

7. mwstock

mwstock Approved members

I agree with what others have said that this is a personal decision. All of the insulin pumps do the same task of insulin delivery. The menus and features are a little different on each. My son has been on the Medtronic pump for the past two years. We mainly went with it upon the doctors recommendation and the fact that the CGM is integrated with the pump. We did the saline trial on the Ping. The Medtronic pump is solid and I prefer the menus. We have never lost settings due to the battery change. The fact that it has tubbing, no remote and is not water proof, has not really been a problem for our family. My son just takes off the pump and caps the site when bathing or going swimming or playing water sports. My wife worked for a heart doctor and they use Medtronic devices, so we knew they were a solid and established company. I have had excellent experience with their customer support. We have had a couple insulin pumps replaced under warranty due to physical damage (cracks) due to being on a young boy. I like the fact that the meter, insulin pump and CGM are all integrated, and the data uploads to the Medtronic CareLink site. It looks like you did not include Medtronic in the running, but I just wanted to share our personal experience. The Medtronic a sensors are better than the former Medtronic sensor, but it appears the Dexcom CGM is more accurate. As far as pump site or Enlite sensor insertion, both are relatively painless.

8. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I wouldn't pick the ping based on the whole " one touch" thing. I find one touch to be the least accurate out of all the meters we've tried. we don't even use the remote anymore. we use accuchek and plug the numbers into the pump. my mom is the only one who uses the remote.

I think everyone will recommend having insurance pay for a tubed pump and then try cut the cord with omnipod. That's what we're doing. We have a training on OP in 2 weeks.

I personally like the tslim just because it looks less like a pump and more like a phone and I think we're leaning towards that one for her future pump. She won't be bolusing by herself without checking with me first by the time she would have the tslim and before it's even done with the warranty so the reverse correction shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I also would NOT base any decision on the fact that there's "plans in the near future to integrate with dexcom" I was told this when we got our ping.. over 2 years ago. Stuff like that takes forever. It's really not that big of a deal to wear dexcom and a pump. I'm usually carrying dex anyway

9. packmule

packmule Approved members

andiej, rgcainmd, thanks for the OmniPod votes of confidence. I think we'll try to do an OP using their Cut the Cord program.

I think this is exactly what we're planning at this point. You can't have too many tools in the diabetes toolbox. We'd have a backup pump and our son might just prefer the OP to a tubed pump.

10. packmule

Thanks for your feedback re: Medtronic. Medtronic make great pumps, but I decided to skip them because I don't want to give up our Dexcom + CGM in the Cloud to get the threshold suspend feature. If the Enlite sensor was on par with Dexcom and mySentry was compatible with the 530g, Medtronic would already have our order.

11. packmule

Our meeting with the Animas rep today went well, and our son has agreed to do a pump trial. We meed with Tandem Thursday and hopefully move forward with a Ping or t:slim trial as soon as possible. Thanks everyone for your feedback...

12. packmule

Why did you stop using the Ping remote? Was it the meter accuracy, just not convenient, or something else? The remote seems to be one of Ping's touted features.

Yeah, there's always something new coming soon... but soon is relative. Thanks for your feedback!

13. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Even if you choose to not use the "remote" to test BG, you can still use it to plug in a number from another source and still use it! I think the remote with its "back button" so much easier than the actual pump, besides the fact that I am not actually getting into my kiddo personal space.

I do feel that the One touch does give readings that are higher than other meters when above 175ish, but I think it all works out in the wash.

14. packmule

After reviewing our options, we've started a short trial with the t:slim. Mom did his first site insertion with the RN this morning and it went well. He's got a t:slim in sleep mode sitting in a Spibelt with a dry infusion set. We'll keep it in for a day or two, then disconnect the pump, remove the set and let him learn the pump interface. So far, so good. If he is okay with this, we'll get started on the pump in early August after vacation. Thanks for all your comments and advice.

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I wouldn't worry too much about teaching him how to operate the pump when you are still learning. He's 6, right? likely he won't be blousing or correcting himself any time soon.

16. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

Wow, congratulations! We have been following along as I also have a 6 year old boy. We too have selected the tSlim, however we're running up against our CDE who told us the soonest we'd be pumping is early 2015. Part of this is due to her maternity leave August - October (I don't know why we couldn't just continue the process with her fill-in, which is what we intend to do). I am envious of your efficient moving through this process! Good luck and keep us posted.

17. packmule

You're absolutely correct that he won't be bolusing any time soon. We'll keep the pump locked down except when we're giving insulin or making adjustments. But, he's a numbers kid and is starting to count carbs and ask questions. I envision him primarily getting familiar with the home screen at this stage.