- advertisement -

Pulling a number from thin air

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CassiesMama, Jan 13, 2011.

1. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

Ok I am just curious as to how many of you have asked your child to check only to have them pull a random number out of thin air? I always keep my super mommy hearing ears on so I can tell that no pokes were done, and those numbers tend to always be perfect :rolleyes: That is when I am going in and just doing the checking myself, I think she might have a bit of burn out going on and I just remind her that I will check her if she is really not up to it but that not checking is not an option.

2. danalynn

danalynn Approved members

yes my son has done this!

a few months back we had a week of super wacky numbers that made no sense (more than usual :rolleyes:), he does his own checks and insulin shots at school and the numbers he phoned me with were all in 'range'... until I checked his meter, and in digging a little deeper found that not only did he not check his blood sugar those days, he didn't take any insulin for his lunch either! turns out he was just burnt right out, poor little dude :(

since then I've become alot better at noticing the signs leading up to that so I can help him before it progresses to that point.

...although when checking the meter I still find the odd 'missing' number where there should be one...

3. LJM

LJM Approved members

Gotta check those 104s.:)

4. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Yep:cwds:
    Recently we couldn't figure out why his numbers were great and then horrible at night. Short version is that I figured out that his meter he had with him was broken, he would put blood on it, but it gave ME the not enough blood error, he was getting the same thing, but didn't want to tell us it was broken:rolleyes:

Got the new meter, which he just microwaved on Monday:rolleyes:

5. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Yep. Katerina went thru this when she was 8 yrs old, back in 3rd grade. It was during the first trial of letting her check her own sugar at school, and she was telling the nurse she was in the 100's range (she was taking whatever her reading was and simply replacing the first number with a "1" to avoid insulin). This went on for 3 months before it was discovered. :( It totally screwed her and me up, and she ended up with open sores on her feet before it was done because I was changing her Lantus to accommodate what I thought was this unexplainable "honeymoon" that she was getting during school hours. Talk about me being blind and dumb. So in effect I was lowering her lantus drastically, when in fact she needed more than originally thought. In a nutshell, it was a horrible experience! Definitely something to learn from.

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I always have looked at the meter. My son can't remember what his number was anyway -- even two seconds after taking it.

This happens with a lot of parents -- the meter doesn't usually lie and saves a lot of hassle when the kids decides to make up numbers.

7. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

That's why kids have parents, so we can make sure they are safe. ;)

8. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

Tyler did that one night at bedtime - When I went to check him at 2am the meter was still in his supply bag... Saw he didn't check...

Next night, I ask, he tells me a number and then I say "so, did you really check this time or make up a number to tell me like last night?" After his initial 'deer in the spotlike stare', I said - "get up and really go check it now" and we had a little talk.;)

9. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

It hasn't happened to us personally, but I am fully expecting it to sometime in the future. If it wasn't D related, they'd find some other way to rebel.

For the most part, I think the best response is to be kind and understanding, and perhaps ask her why she did it, but don't go into a lecture. Just give her a hug and let her know you love her, that we all get burned out, but to please not give fake numbers any more (no number is better than a fake one). Or if you go to check her after a fake number, don't make a big deal/punishment over it. That is, assuming it's just a once in a while thing.

It's a tough spot to be in, because if you push too hard, all they'll do is push right back, but at the same time, you can't slack off. It's hard to find middle ground sometimes.

Actually--you're kinda lucky, in a way. My DS wouldn't let me check his blood for him. He'd put up a pretty good fight if I came at him with his pricker.

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

OK- can I just say I would much rather have the made up # that I could easily double check then the Guess the # game - it may be cute every once in a while. But try every.single.blood.sugar.reading!

Me: What's your #
    Coco: Guess!
    My Inner Dialog: What.the.Heck...I am trying to cook supper, feed the dogs, study Latin with Jess, and have a conversation with my Mom - and she tells me guess!
    ME:250
    Coco:Lower (I HOPE!)
    Me: 150
    Coco: Lower
    Me: 50
    Coco: Higher
    Me: 100
    Me:125
    Coco:Lower
    Me:120
    Me: 123
    coco: Higher
    Me:124
    Coco:Lower...
    ME: :confused:
    Coco: Oh Wait - I forgot...and so the game begins again...
    My Inner Dialog: bleep bleep bleep bleep

11. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

I used to do this some when I was a teenager. Actually, something to be aware of as parents: once those "perfect 104s" start sounding a little too suspicious to the rents and those results seem to spark double-checks, it makes sense to just pull some not so perfect numbers out. Like 200s, or so. In the end: It's the same burn out that causes it, and the not wanting to be pestered by either parents or diabetes. My parents didn't judge and didn't do too much or too little (or so I recall), but still it's a delicate balance at times. Teenage rebellion, with the added fun of diabetes. Good times. Somehow, we survive them...