- advertisement -

Pull him from school or ???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bisous, Feb 6, 2012.

1. jessicat

jessicat Approved members

when I had problems, I was successful when talking to the school district nursing and wellness district manager. This district level nursing staff not only helped, but came to the school for 4 days to follow up

2. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

Definately work through the proper channels, but realize that the absolute bottom line is that you are responsible for keeping your son safe. There is no consolation in saying "I told you so" after something happens.

If you feel that he is unsafe in any way I would encourage you to please address that first, either taking him out or staying at school if need be.

3. bisous

bisous Approved members

Thanks for the advice about documenting everything for an OCR complaint. I'm going to start writing/putting together my notes from each meeting. It is good to be as organized as possible.

I also wanted to say that I actually spoke with the superintendent today! About two hours after I placed my call about possibly taking this complaint to the OCR he called and was very attentive. I expect to hear from his tomorrow. I feel very hopeful that SOMEBODY in the chain of command understands the seriousness of my issue and will do the right thing. Although I must say the only reason that I'm getting this kind of treatment is because we have a 504. I'm SO happy that we do.

4. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

I really hope all goes well for you today!!

We don't have a 504 in place at our new school...yet, however I have been more than pleased with "most" of their handling of this. I say most because we've had some recent issues that I had to address and did this via email so that it was in writing and in there I brought up the reminder about her testing her BG before big tests and just said that if need be I can put this into a 504 plan. They haven't said a word to me, but I haven't had any issues either. She has an awesome teacher.

We had a child at our old school who went to the nurses office to get checked and they found him sitting on the floor in the hallway up against the wall because he couldn't walk any further. The nurse was sooooo unhappy and made sure to inform EVERYONE about the importance of having a "walking buddy" every time.

Remember this as you enter that meeting, if you're not there already. You are paving the way for other type 1 children who will undoubtedly be attending that school in the future.

Good Luck!