- advertisement -

Publications for the Newly Diagnosed & For Quick Reference

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kevin@diabetech.net, Jan 3, 2008.

1. kevin@diabetech.net

kevin@diabetech.net Approved members

Other than Understanding Diabetes (aka Pink Panther) by Peter Chase and available through CWD Foundation here, are there other books that anyone especially likes for the newly diagnosed family of a child w type 1?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Big fan of Ragnar Hanas' Type One Diabetes. Great book - one that I used right after dx and still refer to when needed. My favorite D book!

3. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Using Insulin by John Walsh
    Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner
    and definitely get
    Type 1 Diabetes by Ragnar Hanas.

4. mph

mph Approved members

Don't forget Calorie King for carb counting ;).

5. kevin@diabetech.net

I have read the one's by John Walsh but the other's I'll need to check out. Thanks for creating my list of books to read this month.

Thanks.

...and CalorieKing is now accessible via my 3G cell phone ;) at http://www.calorieking.com/mobile

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  6. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

I don't know if this one would be the first I'd read after dx, but cheating destiny is good.

7. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Cheating Destiny was excellent. The history lesson really put things in perspective and made me glad that we have the insulins, meters and other technologies that we have now.

8. kjksmom

kjksmom Approved members

Definitely agree on Cheating Destiny. I also liked The Challenge of Childhood Diabetes by Laura Plunkett: a very different experience.

9. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Almost done with Cheating Destiny myself. Excellent book I agree - not so sure about being the first book after diagnosis though - although the author's personal account is perfect to be in there. It's great about tying all facets together of things I've read about over the last year and a half since diagnosis.

10. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

Yes, Cheating Destiny was a good book, but it took me awhile to want to read it because of the name - cheating destiny, meaning it was destiny that my child should die?? :eek: Still hate the name!

I haven't found really any "great" books for the newly diagnosed. Pumping Insulin is a little advanced for the "newly" diagnosed, don't you think?

Pink Panther was ok, always hated the pink panther though.. :D Not very personable, but gave some great basic facts..

11. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

"SweetKids - How to Balance Diabetes Control and Good Nutrition with Family Peace", by Betty Brackenridge and Richard Rubin :cwds:

12. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

One of my favorites, too...wish I'd had it sooner!

13. Debbie

Debbie Approved members

I think it is important to remember the kids also.

Taking Diabetes to School
    Sugar Was my Best Food
    Sister Rose Has Diabetes

These are books that have helped my daughter when each book became age appropriate for her.

14. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Pumping Insulin is good, but it's really more for the advanced "user."

15. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

The Roger Hanas is my favorite Diabetes book. So very thorough!

I also like Pink Panther a lot.

Cheating Destiny is great, but isn't an instructional book. Also not good for newly diagnosed families IMO.

An infrequent poster here wrote the Everything Guide to Juvenile Diabetes and I think it's a fantastic overview for new families. Not too overwhelming.

The next D book I want to read is ......well, I can't remember the name and I'm in a big fat hurry to get out the door right now, but it's bookmarked somewhere. The Discovery of Insulin? It's a historical account.

16. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

Ah kids books. If you haven't read it to your child, The best year of my life is a great book.

17. kevin@diabetech.net

thanks everybody.

18. Judith

Judith Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Essntial books for newly (and not so newly) dx'd

Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace, Second Edition by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Published by the American Diabetes Association, 2002. 250 pages. Softcover. US$16.95. ISBN 1580401244.Brackenridge and Rubin provide exceptionally good and detailed advice for managing what is perhaps the most important part of your child's diabetes care: diet. How many of you parents of kids with diabetes have struggled at meal time? Probably all of you. The authors' advice is simple: adjust your child's insulin to cover their dietary intake, not the other way around. This is exactly opposite from what many parents are taught, but makes considerable sense. There's so much outstanding advice and guidance in this book that a review can hardly do it justice. - review by CWD webmaster Jeff Hitchcock

19. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I think I'd give diabetes awhile to set in before recommending Using Insulin or Think Like a Pancreas. Those concepts confuse me after years of dealing with diabetes.

20. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member