- advertisement -

puberty has struck - I need a hand and a shoulder

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bbirdnuts@aol.com, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yup - what she said ;)

2. bbirdnuts@aol.com

bbirdnuts@aol.com Approved members

A hand and a shoulder

Husband in hosptial with heart problems. Passed out 3 times in 6 hours. Heart beating very slow. The Dr. mentioned a pace maker. We will see.
    I will talk back with everyone soon.

A big hug and thank you to each and everyone of you. Everyone has helped so much. Much Love To All, Rhonda

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Oh no Rhonda! Im so sorry:( My prayers are with your family. Let us know how he is please

4. bbirdnuts@aol.com

hello

I am back. I have not been on the computer in a while and I have missed everyone here. Everyone has been so helpful and I am extremely grateful and thankful for each and everyone of you.

Life has been crazy and busy. Yesterday, I started writing a reply and was pulled away unable to return for about 5 hours. When I returned I finished typing a long note and clicked on submit reply only to find out I was not logged in and lost everything I had written. Oh well, I will try again.

Doctors cannot find out what is wrong with Carolina's dad, but they have not ruled out anything, yet.

On a brighter note, Carolina's blood sugars are much better overall. She is on 9 units of Levemir twice a day. Breakfast we have to use a 10 carb ratio, lunch is 18, dinner is 12 sometimes 14, and bedtime is 18. The correction factor we have been using is 30. Her numbers in the night had been 60's to 90's so we changed the 30 correction to 50 last night. She woke up at 155 this morning and was 117 before lunch. Over the last week there were a few times Caroilna went 12 hours without eating and her numbers were barely over a 100. Does this give a good idea of what the Levemir is doing? How does one know based on blood sugars what is right with Levemir?

Carolina wants to go on an OmniPod. She only wants a pump without a tube and that is the only one I found. A representative came out to the house last Tuesday. I hope we have made a good choice. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. The pod seems a bit large. I wore one on the back of my arm and kept hitting it on door frames. Carolina's dad wore one over his waist in the front and ran head on into the door frame on the third day. His started hurting and did not stop, so he removed it. When he took off the pod the canula was bent and had blood in it. Omni Pod people say the pod will be 40% smaller next year. Carolina wants to use Emla cream in hopes that it will not hurt. I have a concern if the pod messes up and she needs a new on we will not have time for Emla. Could we use ice. She is now using ice for all injections.

We were able to decorate for Christmas over the weekend. This is not normal. We always decorate on Nov. 1st and put away on Jan. 1st. That gives us time to really enjoy this time of year. Everything has been a bit different for us since Oct. 20th when Carolina was put on insulin.

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Rhonda, glad to see you back again with us but sorry everything is so strange for you this year. About your husband, Im not sure where you live but I was going to ask if they have tested him for lyme disease yet. I have had lyme 4 times, the first time it went to my heart and caused heart block and irregular heart beat. I hope they figure out what is going on with him soon

It sounds like Carolina is doing well. Was she ill? is that why she was not eating for that many hours. She needs to try to get some carbs into her body even if its some fruit or toast. If her stomach is upset something bland like banana or toast is good. If she was not eating and not having bolus insulin and was around 100 on the levemir that means her basal is perfect! Was she having good # during the night and at wake up as well?

There are several kids in here that have omnipod. You may be able to find more information just about that my putting your questions in the Parents of children with type 1 d section below the Introduction section.

Hope your holidays are happy and stress free:cwds:

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Hi and welcome.

You mentioned that a scale might be beneficial...DEFINITELY! Crackers for example, it may say on the box 5 = 10g of cho. Well, not exactly. They are not all exactly the same size. Going by weight is more accurate. Away from home, we tend to eyeball and have become pretty good at it.

Don't forget to to subtract out the dietary fiber from foods too, that makes a difference.

Have you started seeing the new endo that was hired yet? I have a feeling I know who it is, and she has very good reputation. I think you will be happy with her. Joslin is a bit more aggressive in their approach, and the doctors that were there tend to be that way too.

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I would say the Levemir is good. If she starts sinking, you may need to reduce it. If she's rising without food, you'd need to increase it. Levemir doesn't really keep the BG "stable" like Lantus would because it has a slight "peak," then a tapering effect.

My daughter's correction is also higher at night. Her insulin needs are lower at that time.

I think Emla needs an hour to work. My daughter has never used it for pod insertion, although I gave her the option. But if Carolina needs ice for syringe injections, she'll most likely want it for the pod. It's a bigger needle, but it's only in for a fraction of a second. If the pod fails for whatever reason, you won't have time to wait for the Emla to work as she'll be without basal for an hour.

It does look huge on the arms. My daughter rotates - twice on each side of her stomach, then on the back of each arm once.

8. Toni

Toni Banned

Hi, sorry to read about your husband and hope he is feeling better. It is wonderful that your daughter had such a long honeymoon; downside of that is your old endo did not prepare you beforehand for what is to come. IMO he should have commenced education on carb counting and prepared you for what would come. I am very glad you have a new endo who is Joslyn trained and you are comfortable with her. You can't get much better than that. I would recommend some basic reference books if you don't already have them on hand. They have proved invaluable to me. "Type 1 Diabetes" by Ragnar Hanas; "Think Like a Pancreas" Gary Scheiner (particularly the exercise charts and recommendations of Ex carbs to eat, and how many before and during exercise; "Using Insulin" by John Walsh; "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh. I think your carb breakdown of 60 grams meals and 20 for snack is a good basic, healthy place to start; you can modify later. You are probably right your daughter is or will be going through puberty, that is even more stressful as far as the adjustments go, so I would start studying! I would also see if I could fax in numbers every few days to the endo team so they could help with adjustments. I'm sure everyone here would be glad to help, and there are some really great MDI experts on this board but I want to make sure you are getting help from your endo team first and foremost. P.S. Saw your reference to the Omnipod and they are going to come out with the smaller, flatter pods very soon, probably some time next year.

9. Toni

Toni Banned

Those numbers are fabulous! Re EMLA, it works best if left on 1 hour and 15 minutes to hour and a half but we used to do an hour (she would feel sensors with an hour but probably not site change). I would use the EMLA routinely, at first, and if you need to do a quick change, use the ice.

10. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Hi Rhonda,

welcome to CWD,

I was going to suggest some books but Toni and Becky beat me too it.;)
    My favorites are "Think like a Pancreas" and "Using Insulin"

It will give you new tools and formulas to understand the insulin and diabetes management.

My daughter didn't like omnipod because of what you said too bulky...has she tried Ping or another type just to rule them out? I know they have tubing but its easy to manage. I know many like omnipod too.

Sounds like you got a child who knows what she wants...and she will be fine...just tweaking....

those morning highs...what time are they? I know sometimes home-schoolers sleep can sleep in with their flexible schedules.

hope your hubby feels better!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  11. bbirdnuts@aol.com

Becky, I was also diagnosed with lyme's around 1990. I was one of the 1st cases in South Carolina. As for Carolina's dad, thus far they have found nothing wrong with his heart or head. He is wearing a 24 hour monitor and had a MRI on his head today. I hope they will soon give him a clean bill of health.

Carolina has been fine. We had some busy days where she did not want to eat. Now, she seems to be cutting out her night time snack. Her numbers have been better. You know sugars can be fine at one meal and not the next. I cannot find a pattern or any rhyme or reason.

I do hope to connect with other moms about omnipod. Soon I will ask a question when I feel I have adequate time to respond. I just did my first Christmas shopping tonight and bought nothing. I actually took Carolina with me for her to look and give some ideas as to what she would like. Hopefully, I will buy some gifts tomorrow. You know it makes no sense for a stay at home mom to have to shop on the weekend. What was I thinking? Have had a busy life lately.

Wendy, I hope to go to Bed, Bath, and Beyond to purchase a scale soon. Any suggestions on the best, most accurate scale, or where to buy? As for fiber, we do subtract fiber if a serving has 5 gr. or more.

The endro. has the initials EM. Maybe, she is who you are thinking of. I would type her name here, but I don't know if that's allowed.

danismom, when does Levemir have a slight "peak"? That will help me to know and maybe understand a little more. Please tell me the good, bad and ugly about having an omnipod. How long has your daughter been wearing the pod?

Toni, Can't wait for the smaller pod. They say the new pod will be 43-44% smaller, yeah! I wonder if using ice will allow moisture to get trapped right before the pod is put on. Caroilna has us to leave ice on until there is a big white patch with red around the outside. I am sure that size will make wearing the pod easier for children or anyone. We are seeing the endro. on Mon. it has been 4 weeks since our last visit. I must think of my thousand questions and write them down.

Omo2three, I hope to get books soon. Carolina is going to try the omnipod (it shipped today). The morning numbers are not high now. She was 130 this morning, but 2 1/2 hours later she was 245 and then by 1:20 she was 140. Most mornings for breakfast she eats a 3 eggs omlet (egg beaters),
    with ham and cheese, two pieces of Natures Own bread with a purple label (high in fiber), and a serving of cereal with 1/2 c. soy milk. I think when she does not eat the cereal she does not go so high. Most mornings she wants cereal. I guess after 2 1/2 years without ceral she is not ready to stop eating it yet.

12. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

breakfast is our hardest meal...Amb always spikes afterward...its very predictable.

We are still tweaking the numbers to get her after breakfast numbers in range...so your not alone.