- advertisement -

Psychologist?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommylovestosing, Sep 28, 2010.

1. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

Ella has been throwing MASSIVE temper tantrums as of late (along with major whining). This has never been her thing in the past. I'm beside myself because I'm at a loss at how to deal with them in an almost 8 year old. I can't ignore her, because the longer I go the lower she gets... :mad:. DH thinks she's playing us, I think she's struggling with acceptance. We are at the nine month mark - long enough for reality to really sink in for her.

So, my question is two-fold. Does you CWD go through periods of tantrums? Have you ever taken you CWD to talk to someone to help them cope?

2. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

Yes, on both counts. Our original endo team included a couselor who worked with us as a family and individually. It helped a lot.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Well, she is only 7....:eek:

To your husbands comment, I guess I would look at WHEN she is throwing the tantrums. Are they at specific times in order to achieve something? I guess I don't understand the "playing you" comment.

Have you looked to see if the tantrums are coming when her bg is low? Or high?

I don't think there is anything wrong with taking her to talk to someone. She is dealing with a major life illness and it is totally understandable for her (and you) to go through many emotional swings on this journey.

Hang in there.....:cwds:

4. meg9901

meg9901 Approved members

Yes and yes. It probably was a total of about 8 sessions or so with the D team therapist. It wasn't even especially D related. Just stress and anxiety in general. It helped everyone a lot with ways to cope, react, and cease the tantrums in a calm way.

5. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I think it couldn't hurt to seek help. Maybe it's 7itis or maybe there's more.

Good luck.

6. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

If you do decide to ask for help I would suggest that you go all together and not just her. I would treat it as a family issue rather than her issue

7. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

Joseph had lots of anger issues about 8 months after dx. Saw a therapist maybe 10 times - dh and I also went in and it really helped. The loss of contol he was feeling was at the root of the problem and we were able to learn some good strategies for dealing with this.

8. mommylovestosing

Thank you so much everyone! I'm NOT trying to "blame" this on D, but I can see where it may be much of the issue. I LOVE the family idea, we are all in this together.

DH has been asking me to go talk to someone, anyway. This has hit me the hardest I think. My dad died in his mid-40's from complications of diabetes (I suppose the cancer didn't help, either...). BUT I lived through and viewed firsthand EVERY SINGLE complication D can serve up. It.was.awful. So, needless to say, I'm very, very anal about her BG's ALL the time. This = unhappy, tired, grumpy me. Add to it that I recently went back to school for nursing and you can understand my life a little :(.

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I understand your perspective (and I am sure you realize this) but I would be very careful of managing her diabetes based on your emotions related to your past experiences with your Father. Being overly "anal" and micromanaging her bg's could set both of you up for failure and future heartache. That's all I'll say. Just a thought.

10. colebenmom

colebenmom Approved members

Ben started having mini-tantrums just after the year mark. I hated to think that it had anything to do with "D" either but we finally started talking to someone and I really don't think it could hurt. My thought is that it is chronic life long disease and I, as an adult, might need some help sorting out all the feelings that go along with that so a child could use some coping skills too. :cwds:

11. BellasMom

BellasMom Approved members

Oh boy we've been there. I had a few moments when I was ready to call a Priest for an exorcism. Those moments of pure insanity have passed but if they hadn't/or if they start again we will seek counseling. I believe her breakdowns were anger she couldn't manage to express normally. Hers were elevated with high blood sugars. Sometimes now if she gets a little short with me over nothing it's an immediate BG check. Good luck!

12. mommylovestosing

Yes. Thank you.