- advertisement -

Protein powder recs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cem, Sep 30, 2008.

1. cem

cem Approved members

Having trouble getting my 2 year old daughter to have protein at breakfast and I am considering adding some protein powder to her milk. Would love to hear about which powders might be the least noticeable when added to milk. Thank you!

2. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

I used powered milk for the extra protein. Just dont forget to check the carb count.

3. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

I like
    chocolate go lean by kashi.
    it has protein,and vits.
    i think its 10carbs/scoop

don't think i've ever tried just the protein powders

4. Aidyn

Aidyn Approved members

Hmm... most protein powders have some flavor attached...

You could always try Carnation Instant Breakfast. They come in sugar free varieties with 12g carbs and 5g protein.

Do you feed her oatmeal or yogurt? I've found that most vanilla flavored protein powders blend in well with oatmeal as long as you add enough water. If you are using half a scoop, it will blend in okay with a cup of yogurt (your choice of flavor, of course).

Also:
    You could buy the EAS Myoplex Chocolate Royale protein powder (that's my personal favorite of the chocolate ones as far as flavor and nutritional value) and stir it into her milk every morning. I know kids are finicky, though, and I am not sure if she will enjoy it... maybe with a little chocolate syrup (sugar free if you're not wanting to go too high on the carbs) she would find it more palitable?

5. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

I have found my kids notice plain soy protein the least. Right now we are using one from Swiss Herbal. I usually put it in yogurt, smoothies, baking, cream sauces etc. I don't usually put it in straight milk though.

There are plenty of protein powders that have flavours and they also tend to have a slightly higher carb count. You could do chocolate or vanilla with milk nicely.

If you have a good independent health food store they could advise you, and often have small packets of samples you could try.

Good luck!
    Karen

6. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Shaklee Meal Replacements are wonderful

7. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

my son like the vanilla carnation instant breakfast when he was little (now he's a chocolate fiend!). make sure any powder you get is made in USA/Canada, because that it was the plumping up of protein in China by the use of melamine sp? that made so many Chinese kids sick. I say that because I heard Cadbury had to recall chocolate because some part orginated in china