- advertisement -

Pros and Cons of Animas Ping

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abbysmom, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

So we met with a saleslady from animas last night to take a look at the ping and I am very impressed. Are there any cons to this pump I should know about other than the tubing?

I already have an omnipod demo on order and I am playing phone tag with minimed so I have not seen their pumps yet. I still have not contacted my endo since she is vaction until monday but when I do I will be ready:):).

This is what I liked about the Animas:

The calorie king built in is a huge plus. We carry that book everywhere we go now and everytime I try to teach someone how to care for Abby they get stressed out about counting the carbs.

I like the back light on both units and the fact that there is a remote. She is 2 so that is a huge plus.

Small basal for course.

Customer service has been the best so far. Probably that is dependent on where we live. The loaner program and fast replacement sound good.

I think we will like the integrated meter although I have never used one touch before and we are partial to accu check.

It keeps my log book! Thank God, I HATE keeping a log.

What are the cons here?
    What are the advantages of minimed and omnipod?

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We love our Ping. Haven't had any issues to speak of. We loved the 2020 before that but, gosh, the remote is AWESOME!

3. spamid

spamid Approved members

We love the animas as well, especially the remote. The only con for me as a former Cozmo user, I miss the complete history Cozmo had.

4. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

I honestly can't think of any cons with the ping either.. Our first pump we had some pump not primed issues with, but they replaced it and we have had no problems since then.. I think my favorite thing about it is definately the remote.. Cayden is 4 and it is almost impossible to get him to stay still long enough to look at the pump!!

Good luck in your decision.. I am willing to bet that no matter what pump you decide to go with, you won't be disappointed.. :)

5. Abbysmom

Abbysmom Approved members

Question?

I am new to pumps.

Can you explain the difference?

Thanks

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

We've used an animas pump since William was a toddler and they've been great. I like the remote and probably would have LOVED it when he was a toddler. I guess now that he is almost 8 and I'm so used to grabbing his pump the remote seems SO slow - LOL! I get very impatient waiting for that remote.

I definitely LOVE the remote for the car or for times that it is inconvenient (or maybe annoying) for him to pull out his pump. You can be discrete with that remote.

I know William has issues with the tape on his Navigator sensor/transmitter - and it makes me wonder if he would have trouble with his skin reacting to the tape on the Pod - should he want to go to that at some point. I think part of it is having something larger/heavier than an infusion set stuck on to yourself. Sometimes you have to use something awhile to have a reaction to it so I don't know if just trying some demo pods would show us (or you). It is something to ask the rep.

William seems to be allergic to teflon cannula sets so he uses a steel needle set. If your child has any skin issues (allergies, eczema) I would talk to the reps about options.

7. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yes, yes, yes. I was thinking of just posting this the other day because I miss it so. How can an advanced pump not have a history where you can go back through all the boluses and type ? They really need to beef up their history IMO. I also do not like that you can only do temp basal increases or decreases in 10%. The Cozmo had 5% which seems on a small increment pump like Animas it would have that too. Okay, off my soapbox.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Across the board, Animas Cust. svc has always been excellent. Pump remplacement (excluding onetime it died on a Sat) has always been replaced w/in a 48hr time period. Most times though, it has always been 24hrs.

Pros:
    Remote is very handy
    Multiple basal and I:C settings
    Calorie King (if you use it. Abby won't tolerate us scorlling though looking for something, it's best to look in the book and plug it in for us)

Cons
    Not everyone likes the fact that it is a OneTouch meter that talks to the pump.
    You can use your own meter, but would have to manually input it into pump, creating another step

There are more pros and cons but I can't think of them right now!

We have been pumping for 4 years and have only used Animas. They have provided great support and a great product for us.

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Yes, It took over 2 months for the reaction to come from Dexcom tape. While my son has no problems with the small pump set tape the Dexcom causes bad problems. I believe we would have problems with the Pod because the tape looks the same.

10. spamid

spamid Approved members

Abbys mom, the complete history the Cozmo had not only included boluses and alarms, but everything. When the basal changed, when the pump was turned off/on, either due to the user or a problem (like battery cap not on tightly), the battery state at power up, confirmation of boluses, confirmation of alarms or alerts, etc. Most of it normally wasn't neede, but if you were troubleshooting, it was invaluable. I don't think any other pump on the market has something comparable.

11. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It takes quite a few more steps to give a bolus and to do some other things on the Animas than the MM. The MM's menus are patented and much more streamlined. That's about the only difference that I can see that hasn't been mentioned yet.

12. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We love our ping. There haven't been any true cons to us other than it scratches so easily. Wearing it with a clip without any cover it would be totally messed up by now. We use a screen protector and a case. I personally wanted the tubing because with my daughter wireless means lost, so I don't consider that a negative.

13. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

During our trial with the Ping we found it very frustrating with all the button pushing and the dialing up the bolus amount. My husband could not just pick up the pump and do things with it without me telling him how to do it. The cozmo and Omnipod (currently using) are very easy to understand. He did not need to have any training on it. We were very surprised how frustrating the Ping was but we had experience with other pumps. If this is your first pump you will get use to it very fast and love it.

14. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

the only thing that I can think of that would be a con is the fact that they use one touch strips. I don't like them..never had luck with them... I've heard they've changed recently so hopefully they are better than before.. there is also a few difference between the animas and the mm that a mm user would notice, but it wouldn't be a big deal to a new pumper that hasn't used another pump.. 1, there is more button pushing to get through the menus.. and 2, to bolus, it doesn't put it in for you, you have to dial it up, which, to me, leaves room for some mistakes.. but like I said, if you haven't used anothre pump before, these things most likely wouldn't bother you. :)