- advertisement -

progressively lower BS! concern for celiac?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by susan0909, Dec 20, 2014.

1. susan0909

susan0909 Approved members

My 9 year old son has had progressively lower blood sugars over the last 6 weeks, specifically over the last two weeks. Mostly associated with food boluses, but in general they are lower. Not sick at all. Activity is the same or even lower now that soccer season is over. Haven't changed I:C ratios in months. Has a minimal change (0.025U increase in basal for 4 hours in the morning) which I have already pulled back on but no difference. At first I was patting myself on the back when we went to Red Robin and the highest he ever got was 180. But now I am just confused. He has always been constipated even before T1D and that has gotten only minimally better. No abdominal pain, no diarrhea. He is always hungry and is just hovering on the growth curve. My endo mentioned that many kids with celiac don't have the typical symptoms. Their insulin requirements drop due to malabsorption of gluten and thus a lot of lows. And their growth is poor.
    Anyone else have this happen? Any other possible explanations?

2. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Once a year our endo orders celiac antibodies bloodwork. i know its not definitive, but it adds to the weight of evidence one way or another. I think the only definitive test involves a scope of some sort.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  3. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed with celiac just a few months after being diagnosed with T1D. She is a silent celiac, and has no symptoms with gluten.

She was having a lot of lows back then, we were constantly feeding her a lot of glucose tabs, while dialing back on the insulin. But we had not thought that it might be celiac related, we were new to T1D, so we just thought that she was getting too much insulin.

She used to be one of the taller kids in her class, but she did slow down on her growth chart, and I noticed that her friends were growing taller than her.

Next time you go in for your A1C lab test, ask them to check for celiac protein too. If your child tested positive for celiac with the blood test, then you would schedule an endoscopy to confirm if he is celiac or not.

4. dpr

dpr Approved members

We have the test done every year and its always been negative. I see basal rates go up or down about every 6 weeks. That's normal diabetes for us. Hopefully that's all it is for you, but I'd get the test done if its been a while.

5. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

In the couple of months before my dd was dxed with celiac, we saw a pattern of stubborn lows. Some days, we'd see her hang in the 60s or 70s for long periods despite repeated low treatments. So, yes, in some T1s, celiac-related malabsorption can manifest in a pattern of lower bg readings. I'm glad to hear your endo told you that, because it's something we only discovered through dogged reading on our own when we were having this problem last year.

There's no way to say if this is what's going on with your kid. But I think if you have any suspicion, you should push for testing. Also, every endo clinic seems to have its own interval for testing, so I wouldn't assume it's done annually. When we fought to get my daughter retested, it was almost two years until she next would have been scheduled for the celiac antibody test.