- advertisement -

progesterone?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by czardoust, Nov 29, 2010.

1. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Amanda (18, non-D) had her gyno appt this morning to discuss how to lessen her blood loss (she has severe anemia, hematocrit is 11.8) and slowing the period was decided upon. She was prescribed progesterone. I know this is a hormone, but does it affect the ability to get pregnant? I ask because I took the "pill" when I was a teen, then years later when I wanted to get pregnant I had the hardest time even though I had been off the pill for years before trying. Does progesterone inhibit pregnancy like th pill or increase chances, or does it affect that at all? These wiki sites confuse me o.0

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

It sounds like he/she wants to put her on a mini-pill, which is BC and will inhibit pregnancy while on it. Of course, some people have a harder time than others getting pregnant after stopping the pill.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

I got preggers and didn't even stop the pill until I realized it 2 1/2 months later :eek:

4. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

I don't know about the mini-pill but...I was put on the pill to regulate my period when I was 15 and uhm yeah, never had to "plan" to get pregnant... LOL.:rolleyes:

5. Mody_Jess_Pony

Mody_Jess_Pony Approved members

I'm on ethinyl estradiol and etonogestrel aka the Nuvaring and son't know a lot about the mini pill except it's not one commonly prescribed by my Gyno....or by anyone I know here in Canada.
    from what I'm reading now, is that current birth control on the markets don't effect your chances of getting pregnant latter in life, however depending on how long it takes after you stop birth control for you to become fertile again is the issue, it may take longer for some womens bodies to process it out of their systems and begin being fertile again then others...

6. czardoust

OK thanks, from what I can tell it is a mini-version of what i took. sounds ok to me. I'd rather her have problems getting pregnant than have to go thru what she has to go thru now. She has to get an IV iron infusion for starters...

7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Progesterone only pills inhibit pregnancy by making the cervical mucus thicker, and making the endometrium unfavorable for implantation. They don?t actually prevent ovulation like a combination of progesterone and estrogen pills. It is really important to take them at the same time every day, much more so than combination pills. Altered timing, or missing just 1 pill can result in pregnancy.

8. czardoust

Her afternoon appt at the hema onco went very well. Se did NOT get the IV iron infusion, which we are all thankful for. The dr thinks she is just too young to have to get that, because the long term effects outweigh the immediate need. But she knows under no certain terns that if her hematocrit, which is 11.8, drops down to even 11.0 she will get a blood transfusion. She was started on two iron pills a day (325 mg X 2) and a vitamin C pill (1000 mg), as well as the progesterone (Provera) from the gyno dr. I like the hema onco, he is very kind and patient.