- advertisement -

Products update from the ADA Expo

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hawkeyegirl, Jun 13, 2012.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Amy over at Diabetes Mine had a good summary on the status of new diabetes products from the ADA Expo.

I can sum it up even more quickly than she can, though. There's some new stuff, but it's not very exciting. The exciting stuff isn't coming this year, and maybe not next year either. :rolleyes: My eyes about rolled out of my head when I read 12-18 months for the Enlite and Veo. That means 24-30 months, of course, all for products that people will have been using in a billion other countries for FOUR YEARS by that time. Effing FDA.

2. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

I don't know I found the new Dexcom to be pretty exciting with a new range of 20 ft. One of dexcom's biggest flaws is that if my son decides to sleep at the far edge of his queen size bed it loses signal when it's on his night stand. Total pia. Also since we just started using the Dexcom he won't be eligible for a new one for awhile anyways so as long as it comes out about the time he is ready for the new one it's all good.:)

3. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

But then again when he was diagnosed in December of 2004 they said we were 5 years from a cure too.:rolleyes:

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Yeah, I put that in the category of exciting, but not coming out any time soon. ;)

5. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Referring to the Enlite/Veo with Low Glucose Suspend that we are currently using:

?It gives you so many pre-alarms as you?re starting to go low that it?s impossible to ignore,? Meehan says. ?And there?s a REALLY LOUD siren when it actually turns off. No way you are going to miss that!?

:rolleyes::p Yep, we never sleep right through those alarms in the middle of the night!!! :rolleyes::p

Wait, maybe we're doing it wrong. DD just needs to stop going low at night! Why didn't I think of that sooner? :rolleyes:

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's all so stinkin' depressing.

We're coming up on 10 years ... so much for a cure :rolleyes: But to be unable to get a sensor that she'll actually use? Is that really asking too much?:confused:

7. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Can you tell us more about the Enlite? Is it really less painful? How is its accuracy? Are you able to get more than 6 days out of it? If not, we'd actually be losing coverage because we've been getting 7 recently with the Sof-sensor.

8. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I still think the FDA is not approving things faster due to push back from companies that make test strips (those people are just crooks). Is the FDA really concerned that the Enlite monitor may be mistaken by the public as a device that prevents hypos...please. That doesn't seem to be a concern with the monitors that they have already approved that are available now and are twice as big and not as accurate.

Let's do the math...there are 500,000 children under the age of 15 worldwide that have type 1 diabetes. Let's say each of those children test 8 times a day. That means the test strip companies get about $1.5 billion a year off of these children (not that all of them have the resources to test 8 times a day). If you could test only 2 times a day to calibrate the monitor, instead of 8...they lose over $1 billion a year.

I wish I had more faith in our FDA, but I don't and it makes me feel really bad.

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Yes, less painful (well, shorter thinner introducer), Approved for, I believe, 7 days, (bet it goes longer) and accuracy... well, mostly I've heard good things

10. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

The Gen4 Dexcom sensor has a 6 month LIFE not warranty.... not very appealing.. :(

11. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

We can't compare to the Sof-sensor because we've never used it. We started with the Enlite. But I have seen the Sof-sensor and it looks like a harpoon in my opinion!! DD also insists on using Emla for insertion. The odd times that it does cause her pain it is very short lived.

Accuracy is quite good. It's usually very close to a finger stick. The only time it can be wonky is if dd is sleeping on her back for an extended period of time (the sensor is on her upper butt)...we will get false lows. We got many in the beginning and I was really frustrated with it for a while and would have gladly packed it up and sent it back. Now that we've been CGM'ing for a while we don't get many false lows at all.

We get 6 days, which is what it is programmed for. I've only tried once or twice to restart it with no luck. Because we are currently in a study, we're not paying for sensors. Once we are I'll probably be more motivated to try to extend the sensor life. ;)

12. stevecu

stevecu Approved members

I think it was Henry Ford who said "alcohol is the fuel of the future ... and it always will be".

I'm starting to feel the same way about Enlite. Effing FDA ... where do I go to complain, this is unconscionable. We've stopped using the sensor on a regular basis, and only use it for a couple of weeks at a time for tweaking.

13. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

If Dexcom would just change adhesives and not worry about any improvements, well, I'd take that. Ours has been sitting on a shelf for nearly a year because DS can't tollerate the adhesive :(