- advertisement -

Problems with insulin delivery while on Quickset

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by scarral, Aug 5, 2016.

1. scarral

scarral Approved members

Hi! My son wanted to try using the Medtronic Quickset plastic canule on sensitive sites where the Tsure tends to hurt. Out of three that we've tried, one got stuck in the serter sonever went in, another one worked wit no problems, and the third one cause BG of over 400mg/dl because the canyle was bent. Anyone has better experience with these catheter? Should we try again or ditch them altogether?

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

When we first started pumping we had no problem with the quicksets, but after a while we found we were having problems with them only on his stomach. Arms and legs were usually fine. He will only use steel sets on his stomach now. We order a variety of sets so he can use different sets for different body areas.

It could be just a small string of bad luck...if you have a box if 10 you can continue to try them out in different places to see if some spots work better than others. If you like the concept of them, it's worth it to keep trying them at least until the box is gone, IMO. I'd wait until you get to the end of the box before making a firm decision. It's pretty common to have a bent cannula every now and then, especially when you're new to pumping. :)

We had a similar experience with the Cleo sets. Out of 10 we had problems with probably 6 or 7 of them, so we don't use them anymore. Not worth it! So sometimes it's ok to ditch a certain type of set. It's pretty much up to you.

3. scarral

scarral Approved members

How about the bum? That's where the Tsure set hurts him while playing, we'd like to usecthe Quickset there, and keep the Tsure for the legs, since the Tsure doesn't bother him at all in the legs.

4. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

He won't use the back area for sites at all so I can't really help you there. Sorry. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

5. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

We have always had pretty good luck with the quickset. We tried another set with the needle a while back & it was ok, but she likes the ease of the quickset. We occasionally have an issue with a bent cannula, usually if it is an area with a lot of muscle, like the thigh(she is a dancer). She uses her stomach, backside, thighs and upper arms for sites. Honestly has he ever tried using his backside or lovehandle area? If he just refuses, maybe try a bribe for using it once, he might be pleasantly surprised. My daughter adamantly refused the stomach for the first 2 years of wearing a pump, and since she was so young, I needed real estate!! We bribed her to use her belly once & once she tried it, she realized it was no big deal.

6. kyles_mom

kyles_mom Approved members

We've only used the quicksets since we started pumping (apr 2009) and haven't had too many issues. Once in a while we will have a bent cannula, but I just assumed that happens to everyone. We only use his backside and his endo so far said no problem with scar tissue (which would prob cause bent cannula too). It does seem like you had a bad patch. Sorry can't be more helpful but there are others to try. They might be worth checking out.