advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Probiotics?

Discussion in 'Diabetes in Pregnancy' started by luvehr, Aug 12, 2014.

1. luvehr

luvehr Approved members

This isn't specifically a pregnancy question, but I'm not sure where else to post it. I've been type 1 for 15 years. I just had my second baby. (Both my girls are totally healthy. ). We do a lot of things to try to prevent diabetes- breastfeeding, waiting to introduce solids, doing gluten free the first year. I've recently seen some research on probiotics offering some protection against type 1 as well. Has anyone done this with their babies? Is there a certain brand you like? Do you do infant drops or just take probiotics yourself and allow baby to get them through breast milk? Also, it seemed like the recommended strain of probiotic was lactobacillus johnsonii- which I can't find in any supplements. Thoughts?

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Since we don't know what causes Type 1 diabetes I don't see how you can do anything to prevent it. I have never seen any reputable clinical research that shows that giving babies formula, probiotics, delaying solids or going gluten free prevents Type 1 diabetes. But good luck.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

First let me say I know next to nothing about T1D and pregnancy, or avoiding T1. But...if you are going with the whole pristine gut theory, that simply means you do not introduce ANYTHING into the gut other than breastmilk, and the gut is introduced to differing allergens via breastmilk and what the mother consumes. So for me that means you consume the probiotics.

4. luvehr

luvehr Approved members

trigr.epi.usf.edu/

We don't know what causes diabetes, but that doesn't mean there aren't studies out there about what the trigger to attack the immune system could be. The trigr studies are backed by JDRF, so I'd say they're pretty reputable. Moreover, they are looking at development of diabetes in genetically predisposed individuals, like my kids. I can't say if any of the precautions would have worked for me, since no one else in my family before me is Type 1. I'm willing to do some pretty easy things if it has a chance of protecting my kids against a chronic disease.

5. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

I am not familiar with any research on preventing T1D but probiotics pass through breast milk so if it were me I would take them myself the first year at least or maybe as long as I was nursing.

6. Christopher

So you post a link to a trial looking at cows milk as a trigger. What exactly is that supposed to prove?

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I think because the probiotic is milk based "lactose", so someone wanting to prevent T1D might be interested in the fact that the probiotic could be a trigger if milk based.

From my understanding milk proteins are very very similar in shape to the beta cells that are attached in an auto-immune response that causes T1D, like a key that fits a door and opens it even thow you know it isn't the right key.

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

I'm sorry but what?

9. luvehr

luvehr Approved members

I'm not trying to "prove" anything. I've simply read some research, and I'm asking other people if they've seen this or tried some of the same things. If you haven't, then a simple "nope" suffices. ;). I'm asking a specific question of people who may have tried to avoid these triggers as well.

10. swellman

To what end? I'm just "asking".

Are you asking if anyone "tried" to avoid a T1D diagnosis and were successful?

or Are you asking if anyone "tried" to avoid a T1D diagnosis and was unsuccessful?

I "know" you aren't trying to "prove" anything because there isn't anything to "prove" at this point.

I'm just curious what "you are simply asking".

Seriously.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

12. swellman

"Looking into it" and do what? Mice ... again. We can't rely on a cure from mice nor should we correlate an incidence from mice.

Nevertheless ..... we need more money because we hypothesize.

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

The whole science of mapping the human biome and understanding the role of gut bacteria is gaining a lot of attention among scientists and I find it fascinating. Were I the Type 1 parent of a non D kid I would consider every possible thing that I might do to spare my kid the dx, so yes, I would be reading the science and listening to what the researchers say about diet.

Why do the men on this bloody forum have to all be so obnoxious? You don't find it interesting, then just walk the hell away.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  14. swellman

QFT. Just trying to help.

15. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Were I to find myself pregnant right now, you can bet your buttons I'd be doing EVERYTHING in my feeble power to prevent T1, even though nothing is proven. There is some evidence that milk products are a trigger. I'd avoid milk products for as long as possible. There is evidence that breastfeeding helps, I do that anyway. And there is evidence regarding the pristine gut and autoimmunity of all types, so I think there is great validity in delaying solids and avoiding ALL things by mouth and only allowing breastmilk for a year if possible. And before anyone spouts off on their kid grabbing food or eating bugs, yeah, it's a goal, not always possible.

To the original poster, I wish you luck, I think you are doing all the right things. I already answered your question but go with the pristine gut theory and you take the probiotics and exclusively breastfeed, it's certainly a do no harm approach. There was a NICU mixup when my son was about a week old (he was a premie) and they didn't realize my pumped milk was stored and they gave him formula. I've always wondered if that started some type of autoimmunity in his system. Not something I dwell on, just wonder.

16. Christopher

Hi, one of the obnoxious males here. :pirate:

I totally get what you are saying and if it makes people feel better to do these things, that is great, go for it. The only reason I posted something to this thread was because in the past I have seen these kinds of discussions spin off into people feeling guilty about what they did or did not do with their young children. Since there is no proof that any of these things cause Type 1, that is a lot of guilt to put on yourself for no reason. Hopefully most people will not feel that way. That's all I was thinking about when I posted.

17. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

My middle daughter took probiotics prior to her last pregnancy. She continued throughout the pregnancy & while nursing my granddaughter. She also avoided giving dairy, solid foods & gluten. She excluded all those things from her own diet for several years before the pregnancy. It wasn't to avoid T1 specifically (my CWD has a different father than her older sisters) but to hopefully lessen the risk for autoimmunity in general, since both her husband's & my families are riddled with autoimmune disorders. In her view, if there's even a small chance of protecting her kids, it's worth trying.

18. luvehr

luvehr Approved members

Swellman, this is what my question was. That's it. Have you used probiotics, and if so, what brand. That's it. I don't need your opinion on anything else, thanks. I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty about what that have or haven't done for their kids. Just saying- I know the research isn't definite, it's all hypothesis, but like someone else said-if there's anything I can do to prevent T1, even if it's just now a hypothesis, I'd give it a try. If they do or don't end up with T1, no, it really doesn't prove anything one way or the other. But at least I've covered every base.

19. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

My daughter takes the chewable tablets, Nature's Bounty brand, and I take the capsules (when I remember). We started her on them because I was worried she had a yeast infection, and then we just stuck with it. I also became fascinated after hearing the story on NPR referenced above by Maddie's mom. My thoughts are that there doesn't seem to be any downside to taking them, and there are some potential benefits (not just about diabetes), so why not? I don't have any experience giving them to a baby though- but I was told to take the ones with 20 billion per capsule for the most effect, so maybe you could take those if you are breastfeeding?