- advertisement -

Prior to dx, how much did you know about D?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sam1nat2, Sep 18, 2008.

1. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Just wondering.
    Sometimes it seems as if people sometimes get offended when the general public has no clue about D.

As for me, I'd say I was more educated than the average person out there;)
    However knowing what I now know, I was pretty clueless. Not sure I even knew what insulin was other than you need it. I knew that you can go low and sugar was needed to treat it. I just thought you gave insulin with meals, kind of like I just take a synthroid in the morning.
    Carbs?? Thought those were the things people obsessed with Atkins and South Beach were in to. (I did know that carbs were broken down to sugar though)

I'm very well educated in medical knowledge too. For many years I tought drs how to do new laparascopic procedures, explained very technical products to drs and nurses in many different specialities of medicine. I was a certified EMT. So yes, I knew what a pancreas did and where it was located.

I was so blown away at the first day of training though!! I'll never forget, Sam's finger poke was 440 and the dr wanted me to make sure the juice box I had given him on the way to the office was sugar free. While at the car I called dh and asked him if 440 meant high blood sugar :rolleyes: I didn't know the range, but dh did as his dad is D.

Anyone else as clueless as I was?

2. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

I knew nothing about type 1, never even heard of it. I called my dr a liar when he told me he might have diabetes, I told him " My son is not fat or lazy and he eats better than most all the kids I know in his age group! He can't have diabetes!"

Please don't throw tomatoes I HAVE been throughly re-educated----

(ducking and running for cover now)

3. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

I was clueless. I had no idea how dangerous it was. If I'd had an inkling, I'd have taken him to the doc when he started peeing and drinking more. It was 100+ degrees here for weeks up to dx, though. We were all peeing and drinking more. Big fat *sigh*

Thank god we caught it in the nick of time. And now I know.

4. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Nope, I assume everyone knows nothing, like I did. My fil and grandmother were T2 and I'd see them very occasionally do a bg or shot. Nothing intense.

I get offended when people insist they know more than I do, because their mother's brother's cousin's roomate's great-aunt had type 2.

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Scott, I think that is a valid point. When people don't know and don't pretend to know, fine. But when they start offering suggestions---ugh!!!

I once had a woman I was "meeting" with and had to answer a call from Sam about some bg issue. She tried to tell me that these pads you can wear on your feet can pull out the toxins and cure just about everything:p I wanted to tell her that the best spot for those pads would be across her mouth to prevent her from sticking her foot in and choking on it!!

6. cassie

cassie Approved members

I knew a little less than I do now. My aunt has T1 and I grew up down the street from her. She doesn't take care of her diabetes, but did know what she should be doing.

I try to assume people know nothing but it's still frustrating when they don't get it. Or don't listen/follow your instructions.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  7. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

I knew quite a bit actually. I mean nowhere near what I know now, but I knew a lot. I also don't expect for people to know a lot about D, most people don't. And I agree with Scott, the only time it really bugs me is when people start trying to make my DD's care their business or try to act like they have all the answers. If you don't know, that's okay I'd be happy to share my knowledge. But if you pretend to know everything about it when really you know nothing, it makes me want to scream.

8. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I guess I knew a little bit about it. I knew there was a juvenile kind and I guess I had heard it called type 1. I knew it was dif than type 2 but didn't know too much. I knew some people who knew others with T1 but I guess before Alex was dx, I just listened when they talked about it. It took me awhile to realize that this is what one of my good friends' husband has...we had fallen out of touch before Alex was Dx. I hope I never made stupid comments but I probably did.

I didn't know about insulin and blood glucose and all of that. I did know about counting carbs as I had done a low carb diet before. But I didn't realize that all carbs are a 'problem' as they can all raise bg.

I try not to be upset when people say uninformed things. Even my best friends still need a little education from time to time.

9. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

I knew enough when I was a child that I hoped I never had a kid with juvenile diabetes. I knew that you had to be their nurse and give them shots and make them eat. I had heard that they grew up hating their moms for it. That was about all. That is what I remember from childhood.
    When my dd was diagnosed, she had been drinking and peeing a lot, but it would go away, then come back. I figured, if it were diabetes, it wouldnt go away and come back. I really thought it was probably a kidney problem or UTI. I did think about type 1, but I thought I was being my overly anxious self. When we were at the pediatrician and he told me it was type 1, I knew enough to look him in the eye silently pleading, and ask him if he were sure that maybe she just had type 2?
    That was the tiny sliver I knew, there was a whole cake I didn't about type1. I still feel like I read, I read, and I barely can keep up...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  10. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

I knew there were different types, and one was more 'serious' then others...but beyond that, not much.

When I was a freshman in HS a girl in my class had T1. In my debate class she did an educational speech on her Diabetes care. I remember her passing around BG numbers on cards to each of us, and she explained what the numbers meant....some of us had high numbers, others low etc. She also showed us her pump, and how it controlled her BS.

At the time, I found it interesting, but didn't think further about it. Little did I know that 4 years later D would enter my life.

11. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

When I was in college, I went to EMT school and learned about diabetes, but it was in a very generic way, and to tell you the truth, I really don't think I gave it much thought. But when I started to exhibit the symptoms, somehow I just knew.

12. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

I "knew" a lot. I "knew" that kids with diabetes could never have any sugar. I "knew" that a kid with diabetes could get really sick, or even die, if they ate something they shouldn't.
    :eek:

13. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

Just before Christian was diagnosed he had a performance at Disneyland. One of our students is type 1 and she is in the band with Christian. Our district nurse had gone with us to take care of this student. We were talking about type 1 and she was explaining it to us. We were saying how horrible it is that this little girl has to go through this for the rest of her life. Two nights before this Christian had his first overnight accident. Two 1/2 weeks later he was dx. So we knew a little bit more than we did 2 1/2 weeks before he was dx'd.

14. Pavlos

Pavlos Approved members

I was in black darkness and confusion. I knew nothing about diabetes, or next to nothing. I only have this site and community to thank for providing me with knowledge and support.

15. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

People say we shouldn't blame non-D's for their misinformed comments, that we didn't know about D either before diagnosis, but I didn't know. I would NEVER have said such insensitive things let alone dished out medical advice to people living with D or any other disease.

16. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

I knew practically nothing. Zip. Nada. Totally clueless.

It's amazing how much we can learn in so short a time, when the life of our most precious possession is at stake.

17. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Like most people, I knew very little about Diabetes. I knew a girl once with it who injected into the thigh and couldn't have sugar. That was it.

BUT... I most certainly did not presume to offer people advice about how to deal with it. Just as I wouldn't tell someone with cancer how it should be treated, because I know nothing about it.
    If people don't know and ask, fine. But don't sit there and go on at me about how wrong we are doing things, the cures Tyler is missing out on, blah blah blah.
    That's when I get cranky!

18. tracy true

tracy true Approved members

Hi , i knew nothing about diabetes before Jake was diagnosed . Heard about type 1 and type 2 , knew that type 1 was treated with insulin , but apart from that nothing .

mum 2 Jake 6 dxd 12/8/07
    mum 2 Adam & Liam non D

19. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Prior to my son's dx, I thought:

there was only 1 type of diabetes
    fat people get diabetes
    if I ate too much fat, then I would get diabetes
    you test blood sugar
    you get a shot of insulin and some pills

So when Ian was dx, my first thought was 'But he's so skinny...':rolleyes:

But, contrary to the comments I hear now, I never made any to people who have diabetes. I figured, they knew more about d than I, so it was not up to me to make any.

20. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

I knew a bit. Our niece and nephew were diagnosed at a young age. Much younger then CC. But they live far from us so I never saw what they went through day to day. They treat their kids (now adults) differently then we do. Never let sugar pass their lips. My husband and I would special order sugar-free Smarties for them because they couldn't get them in their little home town. I've seen them high and low. And I've seen the parents in a panic when the kids vomited. I knew enough that I never wanted my kids to have it.