- advertisement -

Prior to diagnosis, did you CWD have a virus or illness?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Jul 4, 2011.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

No...the docs asked at dx, but nothing stood out in my memory. He of course had a cold or two at some point in the months before dx...but nothing major.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

In the other thread, the OP was commenting that it seemed like a lot of kids are dx'd at age 4. A poll that was done in another thread showed that actually, among the parents on this site that replied to the poll, the majority of kids were dx'd between 8-12 years old.

I don't think the answers to the question posed in this thread will tell you anything. All kids are exposed to viruses at a very early age. All kids get at least a cold at a very early age. Many kids get sick multiple times well before dx. Some kids get diabetes and some kids don't. It doesn't "prove" anything.

What if I did a poll and found out that the majority of kids who have diabetes went to a children's museum before dx. If I said that something in children's museum's must have caused the diabetes you would think I was kooky, right?

I understand that people need to try and find some kind of causal connection to some event and their child developing this disease, but I think it is nearly impossible.

All that said, I DO think it is important to try and understand what causes diabetes, because I think that is one way to find a cure. I just don't think a poll on a website with a small number (overall) of people living with the disease is going to find it. But you never know.....:cwds:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  3. swellman

swellman Approved members

post hoc ergo propter hoc

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Wasn't looking for an answer as to why, just curious as to how many peoples kids were sick prior to diagnosis. That's why I was asking. Seriously you could ask how many kids were diagnosed on a Tuesday versus a Thursday and it wouldn't tell you much, it's just curiosity.

5. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Swine Flu - 2 months before diagnosis

My husband is type 1 so I know we have a genetic component in our family. Some people believe that a virus could trigger the beginnings of the killing off of the cells in the pancreas. I feel that happened in our case.

My son (age 2 1/2) and I both had the Swine Flu - the year it was big - in September of 2007. He was diagnosed November 12, 2007, 1 1/2 - 2 months later. Having a diabetic husband, I was atuned to the signs, and my son was diagnosed early. His A1C at diagnosis was 7.9.

There seems to be a correlation in my case.

6. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

strep throat, he was acting off for a few days before he did the whole rapid breathing/dka thing but since he was so little I guess he couldn't tell me about his sore throat-we were told he had strep when they were doing the exam in the ER before all hell broke lose.

7. tandjjt

tandjjt Approved members

Tyler wasn't sick very much before D, but about 3 months prior to diagnosis he got a particularly bad case of pink eye. I remember looking up and finding something about the kind of illness pink eye is classified as and it was one of the ones that research indicated was commonly seen before a D dx and considered to be a possible "trigger"

If I remember correctly - Illness and/or stress are not really considered the cause - but rather the event that triggers the autoimmune attack! A lot of other factors are the actual "cause" of the underlying autoimmune disorder itself...

8. nyholli

nyholli Approved members

My baby girl had a cold for about 2 weeks prior to dx. Doc confirmed it was just a cold. Started seeing symptoms on a Friday and by Wednesday she was exhusted and grey. BG Monitor only read HI, but by the time we reached the Children's Hospital ER (about 2 hours later) her BG came down to upper 200's. We started pushing fluids as soon as we saw the HI (her great grandma is a type 2 and we used her monitor). She had always been a big drinker since birth, but it became very noticiable the Monday before dx that she was constantly drinking something. I can not remember but I think her A1C was between 7 and 8 at dx, no keytones present, not DKA. They told us we caught it very early which was not the norm, but who knows.

9. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

About a year and a half before dx'd Seth had Strep for 5 yes 5 months. He had to have his tonsils taken out to get rid of it :(

10. gargipant

gargipant Approved members

Mihika came down with flu 5 days before diagnosis. We actually suspected swine flu and took her to emergency. She had become extremely lethargic and had stopped eating. The doctors actually checked her for low blood sugar and bg was 650! We spent 5 days in intensive care.

11. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Well I have a DD that was DX'd younge, 13 months. But my dd had UTI's before DX prior to 9 months.

It is a chicken or egg concept?

12. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Lia started day care two days a week at age 3.5. She had rarely been sick before, just minor colds and one ear infection I believe. Once she started day care she was CONSTANTLY sick for the next six months. One ear infection on top of another, often both ears. Many colds, influenza and pink eye all in that time period. We pulled her out and sent her back to my aunt who had watched her those two days (grandma did the other three). The next school year she started pre-k a few days a week and while she got sick, nothing like the year before, but she never seemed to get her energy level back and was clingier and whinier. She did have one bad virus late spring and was diagnosed the following January after having strange symptoms for several months before that.

13. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

Luke would throw up a lot before dx, I mean I couldn't go anywhere without being prepared that he would throw up. But, about a week before dx, he got a fever for a couple of days. Same with Ethan, about a week before dx, he got a fever out of nowhere for a day.

14. tina

tina Approved members

yes, actually about three weeks before diagnosis he had a sore throat and a cough for a few days. That was when the peeing and drinking started, almost overnight. He started wetting the bed out of the blue that weekend..

The next few weeks my boyfriend and I both had intermittant sore throats that kept flaring up with little bumps-. Finally my friends kids caught it-and broke out in bunches of little bumps-Hand, foot and mouth disease. It turns out the stuff is contagious for 4-5 weeks once you get it....

I am confused though as his A1C was at 11 at diagnosis, which indicates high sugar for a long time (?) so I dunno if it really was the trigger.

15. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

Phillip didn't. He's a very healthy kid. He had a very mild case of chicken pox at a year old. So mild they weren't sure that's what it was at first. But he didn't get D until he was nearly 8, so that wasn't a trigger for him.

DD on the other hand has had nearly every virus and illness going around and is quite sickly. She is non-D.

16. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

Yes. My oldest started breaking out with welts all over his body, which the ped said could be in reaction to a virus. He had thrown up the week before, so I assumed it was in reaction to whatever virus had made him sick. Then Charlotte threw up, and started getting the same welts on her feet. Then the obvious (in hindsight) diabetes symptoms started showing up, like excessive thirst, lethargy, vomiting, etc. I was sure she was still sick with whatever #1 had, but for whatever reason couldn't get over it. It all happened rather fast, like within a couple weeks.

That being said, 6 or 7 months earlier Charlotte had a yeasty diaper rash we couldn't get rid of for the longest time, which makes me wonder if her bg was creeping up even then. But maybe whatever virus my kids got just accelerated her developing T1.

17. belconning

belconning Approved members

Yes, Kaliah at 22 month old was dx after having high temps and chest infection for two weeks.

It was only that it was taking her so much longer to get over the virus than her brother did that made me think something else was going on.

For about a week I had been saying to my husband I think she has diabetes because she is drinking so much and wetting the bed. He said stop worrying and dont be silly diabetes is not in either of our families. My instinct kept me worrying for days so I took her to the doctors and asked that she be checked. We were rushed straight to hospital from the doctors office. Thankfully I had realised the symptoms and caught it early but I am convinced a virus triggerd it for her.

She is almost 3 now and going so much better since being on the pump. Sticking to a low GI diet has also made the world of difference to her levels!
    I cant believe how high some foods actually make her go in a matter of minutes!

I wish you and all your beautiful kids lots of healthy days ahead! x