- advertisement -

Priceless Questions by Elementary School

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DadCares, Sep 19, 2008.

1. DadCares

DadCares Approved members

My wife and I are leading a fundraising event for JDRF at the Elementary School, which includes grades Kindergarten through 6th. We addressed every grade level on Monday during their PE class to explain the fundraising program (selling JDRF Sneakers) and answering their many questions about diabetes. These kids "got it." Next week, the kids will proudly display every sneaker they have sold outside the gym to recognize the impact they have made in helping us find a cure.

But the questions they asked Monday were priceless ranging from insightful to downright funny. Enjoy the following:

Q: What is worse, Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes?
    Q: Has anyone ever been cured?
    Q: Has anyone ever made fun of her?
    Q: Can I donate a Target gift card?
    Q: Can I give money from my piggy bank?
    Q: PE Coach: “Please don’t lick the envelope and seal it. How are you going to get the money & sneakers in there?”
    Q: Who gets the money? My dad says sometimes a company keeps 99% of the money! (Answer: The JDRF is amazingly efficient with 85% of every dollar going to research.)
    Q: How do you figure how much insulin to give her?
    Q: Will this money we raise find the cure?
    Q: How does her BG level affect her taking TAKS tests?
    Q: Can I have a pink shirt like that?
    Q: I’m not wearing a pink shirt with a mermaid on it!
    Q: How will the cure get into her body?
    Q: What will a cure look like?
    Q: Is Type 1 Diabetes contagious?
    Q: Does Type 1 Diabetes come through the air?
    Q: Does she prick her toes to draw blood?
    Q: Does she run out of fingers when she pricks more than 10 times a day?
    Q: (from Kindergarten): “I had a shot.” Next child: “I once had 3 shots.”
    Q: (from Kindergarten): “I have to take medicine for coughs and sneezes.”
    Q: (from Kindergarten): “My brother threw up one time!”
    Q: My brother had diabetes but doesn’t anymore! (Not possible until a cure.)
    Q: Can it make you go blind?
    Q: Is it hereditary?
    Q: Do they (scientists) know what the cure is but don’t know how to make it work OR do they not know what the cure is?

Q: (Update Wed 9/17) One child asked his doctor (who happens to be our daugther's doctor also), “Do you get diabetes because your pancreas quits working? (The doctor was impressed!)

2. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

This got me tickled. My favorite..

Q: Does she run out of fingers when she pricks more than 10 times a day?

3. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

Awesome.

Q: Will this money we raise find the cure? Brought tears to my eyes.

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Too, too sweet.:cwds:

5. Boo

Boo Approved members

Some great questions (and some funny ones too)! Congratulations for educating all of those little minds. Maybe one day one of them will be the one to find the cure..if it hasn't alread been done b the time they grow up!

6. DadCares

One quote I didn't post and didn't share with the parents of the school was, "Is there a chance she could die?" I had to answer that yes, she has risks, but we quickly wanted to show the kids there is hope and not to be scared. We told them that insulin is protecting her body until we get a cure and that we test her blood sugar 10-12 a day so that we keep her protected and healthy as possible until a cure.

At lunch today, I just met a lady who told me her daughter had said, "My daughter told me she wished she could have diabetes so she would get to know your daughter." No, no, no we don't want anyone else to join the Type 1 community. But it was touching because the little girl clearly felt a connection with our daughter and wanted to help.

One more touching event came on Monday. Our daughter had poor BG readings that day (actually all week). Her BG at 1:20 was 200. The nurse brought her to the gym to sit with us at 2:30 as she had plummeted to 50. My wife treated her with juice as we continued to answer questions from 5th graders. As the 5th graders left the gym, a long line of them wanted to give her a "high-five."

The kids at this school "get it" and they are on fire to help. It is both touching and motivating for further action on our parts.

7. Bam

Bam Approved members

I don't know why but :

Q. "my brother threw up one time."

just cracked me up. Thanks I needed a good laugh today.

8. hrermgr

hrermgr Approved members

This cracked me up, too! Kindergartners are so funny!

Great job educating the kids.

9. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Bless each and everyone of their hearts. Remember these is no such thing as a dumb question.

10. kel4han

kel4han Approved members

I'm happy you posted this. It cheered me up today! So sad, but so sweet!

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

these are great.. great job educating the school.. let us know how the fundraiser goes!!

12. KarenRI

KarenRI Approved members

What an awesome post!! Thank you so much for sharing. I can't stop giggling over the questions the kids asked.

My favorite was: "How will the cure get inside of her?" :D I also loved, "My brother threw up one time". ROFL!!

13. cassie

cassie Approved members

LOL

Thanks for sharing!

14. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Great post! Kids are sooo smart!! These are the ones I liked!

QQ: PE Coach: “Please don’t lick the envelope and seal it. How are you going to get the money & sneakers in there?”
    Q: Who gets the money? My dad says sometimes a company keeps 99% of the money! (Answer: The JDRF is amazingly efficient with 85% of every dollar going to research.)
    Q: What will a cure look like?
    Q: (from Kindergarten): “I have to take medicine for coughs and sneezes.”
    Q: Do they (scientists) know what the cure is but don’t know how to make it work OR do they not know what the cure is?

The comment about I have to take medicine for coughs and sneezes shows s/he was listening.....insulin is medicine for diabetes like cough med is for coughs.

And the coach....I can just see all the kids licking their envelopes!!! LOL

15. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

The questions are priceless. Thanks for the good laugh. It just goes to show how insightful kids can be.

16. DadCares

All:

Quick update. The school has passed the $6000 mark in donations and there are still some late donations arriving! The kids are so happy to want to help our daughter. As our daughter looked at the large display of JDRF Sneakers leading down the hallway outside the gym at school she told my wife, "Mom, Wow, all those sneakers means I'm going to be closer to a cure!"

Related, but on a different subject. The JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes in Dallas & Collin County is this Saturday. We are excited to note that our daughter's walk team already has 121 walkers! Fundraising is going quite well. The support of so many caring people is a bit overwhelming.