- advertisement -

Preschool Requirements

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shannonb, Apr 28, 2006.

1. shannonb

shannonb Approved members

Author: SoReady4BB Apr 28, 2006, 7:49 AM (PDT)
    Hi Everybody,
    I've got a 3yo that I am going to try preschool with this fall. What do I need to look for in a preschool to feel safe leaving him there? I don't really leave him with anybody so the thought of 3 hours with somebody else is kinda scary. At the least I guess I would need to have them willing to learn emergency stuff like glucagon etc. Anything else?

The times will be such that he shouldn't need any bs checks or shots.

What have you guys done with your D preschoolers?

Thanks,
    Shannon
    Kurt dx 12/12/05

2. gregoahu

gregoahu New Member

Best to be prepared

We asked our diabetic counselor to come and speak to all the staff at our daughters preschool and she was more than happy to. As all parents I am still nervous when were apart but, I have a greater sense of comfort knowing that the staff has been semieducated on my daughters condition and is prepared to react if something should occur.

Best of luck and god bless.
    Mahalo
    Gregoahu:)

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Shannon,
    We are currently in a full day preschool 2x's a week. We have a teacher who is diabetic and willing to check BS for us, so it is very helpful. Even though our school is private, they insisted we set up a 504 plan with them. This is not usual for private schools.
    Keep in mind the following things:
    1. Someone should know how to do BS checks in case of an emergency
    2. Make sure that the staff knows how to spot signs of lows and highs. Go over this frequently. This is a problem we are encountering, the teachers tend to miss it.
    3. Make sure that there are at least 2 people who are trained in the glucogon, and that they are willing to use it. We had staff members at the school who were squemish doing BS checks because blood was involved and afraid of the needle.
    4. Have an emergency pack with juice, glucose on hand along with reasons to use it taped on top of the box.

We found that Abby would go low at school because she was so busy, so her carb ratio was adjusted for days she is at school. Also, you might want to provide snacks in case your child doesn't like what the school is serving (we had this problem to, one day she likes cheese and crackers, next day she doesn't:) ), and of course, state to the teachers how important snacks are.

We are having a pretty smooth go of things, with just a few hiccups. As long as you stay on top of the staff, things should go well, and your child will have a great time!

Good luck

4. wellsfamily

wellsfamily Approved members

Hi - we just put my son in, who is also 3, for the first time last week. He is going 2 days a week, from about 9-3. He does have to get tested once, but they are OK with it, and call me with any question. Plus, I am only 5 minutes from there, in case there was ever an emergency. It was really nervewracking, though, shopping around for a school. I would suggest being very upfront about the diabetes, because I am sure you don't want to send him somewhere if they are at all hesitant about treating him. I actually visited a place that told me over the phone they had availability, so I went for a tour with the director. At the end, I mentioned that he had D, and she looked horrified and said "he does?", then told me that it was a mistake they don't have any slots open. I wanted to just cry. I later called the school back pretending to be someone else and they told me "oh sure we have room in the 3 year old room." I asked immediately to speak with the director and asked her flat out if she told me there was no room because Aidan has D. Of course, she talked in circles, and said it was a misunderstanding. RIGHT! As much as I would like to believe that, and as convenient as it would have been to send him there, there was NO WAY I would put him in a place if there was any question of them being OK treating him. Hopefully this won't happen to you. We have him in Goddard school, and the teacher and director have been great so far. I pack all of his snacks and food, and send in a big jug of Crystal Light. There is also a little girl in his class that has a severe peanut allergy, so I think that kind of got them used to making sure each child is eating their own food, etc... Anyway, good luck with your choice. Heather

5. kittycatgirl

kittycatgirl Approved members

Hello Shannon,
    You may also want to look into your home town public preschool. Most towns have an integrated program and have a school nurse on duty. The teachers have extensive degree's and will make accommodations for students.
    Diana

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Find out what and how often snacks are served so you can plan accordingly and make sure your son can fully participate. If he'll require insulin for snacks, figure out how to trains someone.

7. allisa

allisa Approved members

Hi, I found preschool to be relatively easy because for us it fell into a "pretty safe time frame"....mid morning is usually a good time for my son....he tends to eat a good breakfast & always loves a snack and no shots were required during those hours.

I echo what Diana said about public preshcool.....we just happened to already be in our towns public preschool when he was diagnosed. There were actually 2 school nurses on hand so for us it was a simple transition.

PS...while he was there for a year, he never even had to check his blood sugar becasue of the small hours.

When he then went to kindergarten, we chose an all day option versus half day becasue it was easier to have him in one place for lunch rather than driving home on a bus during lunch time ....that would worry me !:eek:

8. Pammers

Pammers Approved members

I am going through the same thing. Joey would normally be attending a 3yr old program this fall, but I haven't been able to find an acceptable preschool.

When he is 4, there is a state funded Pre-K program, but since the FL schools are overcrowded (can you say PORTABLE CLASSROOMS?) they are provided in private schools and then again there is the "no nurse" problem. Classes are 3.5 - 4 hrs and I am just not prepared to have him away from me that long.

Right now I send him to Gymboree 2x a week for a one hour "separation class" where they do art, storytime, dress up, and songs. Do you have a local YMCA? They have a program here called "Time for Three's where it's pretty much the same thing, a 1 hour separation class. And 1 hour is "safe" in my book.

I feel bad that Joey isn't getting the same benefits his big brothers had, But I am just too anxious to leave him in the care of someone who won't be as diligent as I am. Even with training, will a teacher with 15 or more students have the wherewithall to notice his sugar is low?

I wish you lots of luck and hope you find the right program.

9. Jensmom

Jensmom Approved members

Good Luck On Finding Preschool

When Jennie was diagnosed, she was 3 1/2 and we had just enrolled her in a Catholic Preschool (although we are not Catholic). After going through the diabetic training, and hearing stories of some having problems with schools, I was definately apprehensive about sending her. I talked with the teacher who would have her in class and she was very quick tell me that she would do whatever is necessary to make sure that Jennie has the proper care. Also, the school secretary heard of our concerns and made a point of telling me that she had the proper training to give the injections and check her blood sugars, and she would also do her best to make sure that Jennie was well cared for. Jennie has almost completed her first full year of preschool, and has done really well. We provided the school with a Blood Sugar meter, and a Glucagon kit, but so far neither has been needed.

Now I know that not all stories will be as good as this one, but there are a lot of caring people out that are out there to help us with our children. The only advice I can give is to talk with the ones that will be directly responsible for your child and with your child each day in school. Someone needs to be made aware of what signs to look for that there are lows or highs going on. That's much easier for the teacher or aide that is with them often, and can tell the changes in your child. I'm sure it will all work out for you.

Good Luck