- advertisement -

Pregnant Woman's insulin taken by TSA

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by McKenna'smom, Aug 5, 2011.

1. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  2. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

This is SO crazy. I feel especially angry about it, because we flew from Denver International to Phoenix last month and out of 4 flights in a two-week period, DIA was BY FAR the worst and most invasive as far as security goes. My 5 year old diabetic was terrified and they made me get probed/patted down just because I TOUCHED my son after they pulled him aside for screening. They were rude and totally uninformed.

3. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I think Ellen posted the story, too.

If you scroll down in the comments, you'll find a woman who is a vet, her husband is a vet, they both have medical conditions in their senior years, and they have had invasive, time consuming and humiliating searches.

Every once in awhile something hits the national news about, for example, the 90+ year old wheelchair-bound woman forced to remove her only adult diaper because the liquid interfered with testing for chemicals on her and her chair. Whenever threads come up here, most people have fine experiences, but there's always a few stories about a child getting separated because of a pump, and there are stories of adult diabetics having issues.

I've never once seen a follow up about how an agent was identified and sanctioned, or a policy changed. I realize in a big system, mistakes happen. But when mistakes are not addressed, the injured parties are essentially told "hey, sorry, but you just got to take one for the team", that's an institutional problem.

Years ago I was traveling with small children and carrying luggage when two TSA agents stepped into my path and starting talking. I stumbled and fumbled and loudly said, "Excuse me!", not without irritation in my voice. One kindly moved aside, but the other turned and looked me full in the face with aggression. My instincts kicked in and I immediately went into simper and suck up mode, because I knew in that moment this woman had the power to separate me from my kids and prevent me from getting on my flight. This kind of power over your fellow citizen, the power to seriously disrupt their lives on a whim, it's not good for anyone.

I've chosen not to fly with my kids until this mess gets cleared up. I've had to fly myself because of urgent health problems with family far away. I wish it weren't like this. It seems to me that if Americans stood up and stopped flying until these problems were fixed, it would change things. Unfortunately, since most experiences are not bad ones, no one seems to be willing to take a stand until it happens to them. An individual complaints don't make much difference in a system this large. :(

4. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

that's ridiculous!
    they told me I had too many diabetic supplies in my kit once-I asked them if they can guarantee that the supplies in my luggage would make it to me in time at my destination and they let me keep the stuff in my carry-on.:p

5. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

6. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

It is a shame that this happened to the woman. But it is the world we live in now. I agree that we need to raise the standard by speaking up when/if something like this happens when you are traveling. TSA needs to completely understand that a Type 1 Diabetics LIFE depends on being able to have their insulin with them during their flight. The TSA taking someone's medication should be against the law period.