- advertisement -

Prebolusing below 100

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by forHisglory, Jul 7, 2016.

1. scarral

scarral Approved members

To answer your original question: I flattened my son's breakfast spike by prebolusing 15 minutes before breakfast without changing the insulin doses (bolus or basal). This alone brought down the spike from the 350's to the 250's. On our last check up a couple of weeks ago (Hba1c went from 6.4 2.5 months ago to 7.2 last time), I addressed my concern about the height of the spike with the doctor. She suggested that we increase the bolus. Which of course resulted in a low afterwards. So now I'm keeping the high suggested bolus and reducing the basal, hoping that he doesn't spike above 200 but still doesn't get too low afterwards. I'm not sure we're there where we'd like to be, but I do think this is the way to get there. I hope this helps!

2. forHisglory

forHisglory Approved members

That sounds like a good plan to me. We have had the same result when increasing the bolus. I am thinking about turning basal off for 30-60 minutes before he eats and then adding that to the 10-15 minute prebolus as another way to tame the spike without going low at 3 hours out.

3. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

There's always the option of super-bolusing for breakfast. Some folks have found this strategy to work quite well.

4. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

This sounds like a superbolus...except in reverse (kind of). A super bolus, in case you haven't heard of it, is to add in an hour or two of basal after a meal in with the bolus, then suspend the basal for that amount of time. Many people use it with great success. But if it works better to add in pre-meal basal instead, go for it.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Instead of messing with the basal have you tried doing a split wave bolus, to reduce the low later on? Meaning you set the pump to give a majority of the total bolus upfront to prevent a huge spike, then a little bit of it later to prevent the low.